Shoes

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Shoes

Postby Konstantin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I need to get some flat lifting shoes for deadlifts and squats. I've been doing them in cushioned running shoes until now. Any recommendations?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Shoes

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Konstantin wrote:I need to get some flat lifting shoes for deadlifts and squats. I've been doing them in cushioned running shoes until now. Any recommendations?

go with either chuck taylors or (if you're worried about labor practices with those ... I'm not sure what the latest reality is but there seems to have been a problem at one point) get rip offs of chuck Taylors

myself and Frostfire both have shoes by ethletic. Not too pricey either but I got mine on sale.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby dublin dave » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Konstantin wrote:I need to get some flat lifting shoes for deadlifts and squats. I've been doing them in cushioned running shoes until now. Any recommendations?

Just wear socks.
dublin dave

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm

dublin dave wrote:

Just wear socks.

That too :) Course if slipping is an issue there are always deadlift slippers or those nifty socks with rubber dots on the bottom
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby sosso » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:15 am

Any vegan skate shoe
Chucks/fake chucks
Bare feet/socks
sosso

Postby JP » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:24 am

weightlifting shoes for squats for me.

i deadlift in socks or slippers :)

but the flat sole shoes are a good call too, i bought a pair once for 4 pounds, and they were as good as converses.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Big Foot Marty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:49 am

I like any good basketball shoes- with a little support in upper foot and lace up.
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Postby Konstantin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just get some Converse - was a bit suprised at the cost of wooden soled shoes.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby vincentxanthony » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 pm

As someone who has only recently found the wonder of a good deadlift, what is the importance of flat shoes versus normal trainers?
vincentxanthony

Postby Big Foot Marty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

If you use a standard trainer/running shoe the midsole has a drop of 9-13 mm and this puts a strain on the feet, as well as a twist/torque up to the knees/hips back and more so if you are pulling heavy deadlifts.

The running shoes are also TOO SOFT and that soft foundation can lead to challenges -problems as well
Former football player now a runner and new Vegan. Run several marathons and other races now trying to learn how to eat and thrive on Vegan diet. And run successfully for Fun... Blogs - http://veggierunnereating.blogspot.com/
Big Foot Marty

Return to Power and Strength