Lobsteriffic's Training Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Lobsteriffic's Training Log

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:10 pm

I haven't posted on these boards in awhile although I lurk every now and then. Anyhoo, I keep a training log at the other forum, but lately that place has been overrun with folks who think all science is evil and what-not. Not really my scene. So upon suggestion of another forum member I am jumping ship and will hopefully fit in a little better here. :)

Last August I severed my EHL tendon (the tendon that moves your big toe upward) in a kitchen accident and had to undergo surgery. The recovery was a LOT longer than I had anticipated and I was just able to start running again at the end of January. After 5 months off I'm taking it slowly and increasing my mileage very slowly. I have yet to run a marathon and would love that to be my 2012 goal, but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Other than running I do strength training a few times a week. I try to squeeze in a yoga session every now and then but I'm pretty bad at actually working it into my schedule. In a past life I dabbled in triathlons, but I no longer have access to a pool and I feel most comfortable putting the emphasis on running.

I'm not a great athlete by any means. I used to be 50 lbs overweight and was a chain smoker who hated working out. I'm slow compared to a lot of folk, but I know how far I've come and I try not to compare myself to others.

This was a bit longer than I had anticipated, but there you have it. Let the journaling begin. :)
lobsteriffic

Re: Lobsteriffic's Training Log

Postby chewybaws » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm

well well well, look what the cat puked up :lol:
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey there Chewy! I have decided to join you cool kids over here at VF. 8)

February 22, 2012:

15 rounds of 1 minute work, 10 seconds rest. Did the following circuit 3 times:
1 min jump rope (I don't actually have a jump rope so I used an invisible one)
1 min run in place with high knees
1 minute mountain climbers
1 minute sumo air squats
1 minute burpees

The mountain climbers were tough on my foot so I did them slowly and often I didn't make a full minute. This was my first time doing burpees in a looooong time, I forgot how much they suck.
lobsteriffic

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:38 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:I haven't posted on these boards in awhile although I lurk every now and then. Anyhoo, I keep a training log at the other forum, but lately that place has been overrun with folks who think all science is evil and what-not.

It would be interesting to know why that is still happening. The people who run that board got rid of subforums on it that would attract nutrition folklorists. Yet they still come.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby lobsteriffic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm

beforewisdom wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:I haven't posted on these boards in awhile although I lurk every now and then. Anyhoo, I keep a training log at the other forum, but lately that place has been overrun with folks who think all science is evil and what-not.

It would be interesting to know why that is still happening. The people who run that board got rid of subforums on it that would attract nutrition folklorists. Yet they still come.

I know! I kept hoping it would get better and it never did. The latest "OMG medicine is evil, I hate vaccines" thread was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back for me. I want to support the site/forum, but it's not worth the aggravation.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 pm

February 23, 2012:

5 miles in 50:17

The first mile was sloooooow but the last 4 miles I was running around 9:40/mile, which is a decent pace for me.
lobsteriffic

Postby xJimx » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

Welcome!

Yeah I don't really understand the moderating on VBB. Apart from all the pseudoscience, there have been threads where people have posted openly hateful racist shit & it's not been removed, edited or even challenged by the mods.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby lobsteriffic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks!

I know. I like the moderators and I think they are just trying to avoid some sort of totalitarian rule, but I feel like a lot of the interesting folk (and threads) have been driven away.

That being said, I really like the people that run the site, they are super friendly, nice, generous, and encouraging, and I don't mean them any disrespect.

February 24, 2012:

3 miles in 26:57...which is 8:59/mile - yay I broke 9:00! This was my first time running fast (for me) since surgery. My tendon was a tiny bit achy toward the end, but it wasn't blinding pain or anything. It went away pretty quickly. Probably means I should take it a bit more slowly.

Form felt really awkward and off for the first 1.5 miles. I finally got into a groove.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:03 am

Feb. 25:

Rest day

Feb. 26:
6.2 miles/10K in 1:24 and change.

On weekends I go running with a new runner at a slow pace. I just mark it down as an easy run and call it a day. Not sure what my actual 10K time is these days a this was the first time I've ran that distance since surgery. I'm guessing a tiny bit over 60 minutes.
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Feb. 27:

Supersets:
lat pulldown (3x8x60)/static DB lunges (3x8x20) -> these are difficult on my surgery side so I keep the weight light, ROM sucks
military press (3x8x15)/DB step ups (3x8x30)
bench dip (3x10)/one-leg squats (3x10) -> ugh, bad ROM
DB row (3x8x35)/V-ups (3x8)

3 sets of 10 burpees
lobsteriffic

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Feb. 28:

4.5 miles in 43:21

Toward the end my surgery foot as well as my knee on the opposite leg were achy. I think I might be amping up my mileage too quickly.
lobsteriffic

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:20 pm

When do you run?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

In the mid-morning. I get up, have some coffee, wake up, check my email and stuff, then typically go around 9:00am or so.

Until I find another permanent office gig, I've been doing some freelance stuff working at home so I have the luxury of being able to run whenever I please. I don't enjoy freelancing very much, but that's one perk.
lobsteriffic

Postby Goob » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 pm

lobsteriffic wrote:Last August I severed my EHL tendon (the tendon that moves your big toe upward) in a kitchen accident....

I can't be the only one that wants to hear more about this. I'm imagining an overzealous toaster and some carelessly placed utensils, possibly a waffle iron as well :lol: .

Welcome to THE forum though, even if it is a week late :mrgreen:
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby lobsteriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Goob wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:Last August I severed my EHL tendon (the tendon that moves your big toe upward) in a kitchen accident....

I can't be the only one that wants to hear more about this. I'm imagining an overzealous toaster and some carelessly placed utensils, possibly a waffle iron as well :lol: .

Welcome to THE forum though, even if it is a week late :mrgreen:

Haha, nothing as interesting as an overzealous toaster I'm afraid.

I was washing my food processor blade and I had bare feet as it was summer at the time. I dropped the blade and it hit my foot right where the big toe meets the rest of the foot. It hit pretty hard and there was a lot of blood, but the more concerning thing was that my big toe instantly fell and was floppy, and I couldn't move it at all.

I went to the ER and got stitched up, then about 10 days later I had to have it surgically repaired. They sutured the tendon and put a giant huge pin in my toe to hold it in place well it healed. A total of 9 weeks later I was FINALLY walking without a cast or a surgical boot or anything. It was nuts! I just got the go-ahead to start running again end of Jan.

All of that drama for one toe! But now I have kitchen shoes that I wear when using sharp things in the kitchen. My surgeon was saying that most folks he sees with this injury either dropped a knife or what have you in the kitchen. It's a dangerous place!
lobsteriffic

Next

Return to Training Logs