Mr. Cleetus: 100km?

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Mr. Cleetus: Brevet -> Oly Tri in 3.5 weeks?! Can it be

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm

yeah, getting reasonable food was a bit difficult at times - made worse by a serious lack of appetite. There are only 4 places that could be considered more than a tiny village (i.e., only a handful of houses and one or two shops). Two of those were at the start and end of day one. So most of the time was limited to pretty tiny shops or cafes, and cafes are pretty hopeless, so it could be a struggle to find anything. Potato chips or pringles were always available, but there is only so much of that one can take. I took quite a large bag of raisins with me from the start and that was really useful - I also drank a lot of coke! By the last two days I was down to drinking only water while riding as that was all I could stomach. I also ate a lot of peanuts in the first couple of days, but then worried they might not have been helping my gut. I carried a couple of cans of beans around with me as you could find those as most places other than cafes; but again, I really struggled to get those down. I found some pretzels at one point and wished I'd bought more, they were fantastic! I tended to wander around shops for awhile, just looking for anything that seemed appetizing.

As far as getting "proper meals" at cafes/restaurants, that was limited to: day one - thai fried rice at the end of the day; biiiig sammich, fruit and rice cakes loaded with sugar and cinnamon (those went down so well) at the end of day 3; a couple of Subways later on day 5; and, 2xbaked beans on toast on the final day. The rest was snacking or very limited eating.

Clearly I don't have the food thing sorted out!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 am

Yeah great write up Mr C! Really enjoyed it. :) Man, what an epic and tough trip especially with digestive issues.

Did you lose much weight on the Brevet?, as it doesn't sound like you could eat that much :(

Had a brevet dream last night, probably as your write up was the last thing I read before going to bed. Anyway I followed some others and got to the end, but then found out I somehow had only done 900 odd k's instead of 1100. Was really annoyed at myself for somehow going the wrong route, and then to my horror realised that my noob mistakes were there for everyone to see on the internet, due to my movements having been constantly updated by my spot tracker! :shock: What a nightmare! :lol:
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Angry scenes in Al's street as they realise he cheated in the Brevet...

"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

:P Was interesting following the discussion about "wrong way Thomas" online as he did an extra loop around Lake Brunner though :wink: :lol:
Alistar

Postby skoptic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

Great read :) Sorry to hear about nausea and bike seat woes.. but SO jealous as it sounds brilliant (from the pain, the beauty, the life lessons). Really well done, man - going back a 2nd time takes some balls!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I always suspected you were a bit of a cheater Al :P

I rarely weigh myself, but I clearly lost some kgs....

Hah! I wished I learned some life lessons from these sorts of things, but I am a bit too dense for that. :wink:

Thursday lunch 45 min tempo run: again with mr. speedy. There was a strong wind, so the plan was steady into it, and then to up the pace on the way back to work on leg speed. He and I have different definitions of steady ;). We were running 4.20s into the killer wind, and I don't think he was even breathing hard. After the turn we dropped into the 3.50s for a bit, he ran away from me, and I cracked after about 15 mins! :P Solid run! pretty broken from it tho. :shock: :D

I can't seem to recall if I got a swim in!

Friday lunch 2000m swim:
main set
15x100m on 1.45 (PULL! :shock: )

Saturday am swim/bike/run, 2000m swim, 45km ride (3x10km), 20min run (10m @ pace):
Swim: 400m fr, 400m pull, 400m paddles, 400m paddles tied ankles, 400m pull
bike: 3x10km hard, the first felt pretty awful as I was still sore from Thursdays run, but felt pretty good for the next two and my watts were pretty solid
run: 5min steady, 10min@pace, 5min easy: soreness definitely there, but otherwise I felt pretty good.

Sunday am swim/run: 1500m swim, 43min run:
250m fr, 750 pull, 500m paddles
Felt pretty good on the run - a huge improvement over the week before.

had an evening mtb planned but ran out of time.

Im not doing a lot of swim/run volume, but going straight into some intensity, especially on the run is certainly doing me some damage! No surprise. Hopefully the soreness will start to go away now.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Monday: off

Pretty tired!

Tuesday lunch 47min run, 10.2km: off road, but pretty much flat:
Kinda felt like I was actually running. Some tightness in my right quad (still) in the last km.

Tuesday pm 1hr40 MTB single track: First time back on the mtb since the brevet and maaaaaaan I gotta get rid of those ravens!! I don't know how anyone can ride those and go fast, but I guess that just shows my lack of skill. :shock: My backside was ok on the seat-from-hell, yay.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 am

So how you feeling about the tri Nats? Seem to be doing a decent volume, and about as much as posible with such limited time to prepare? I suppose you have to be carefull to not overdo it in your quest to not be under–done? A very tricky balancing act for sure. Seem to be making great progress with the running and swimming :)

So how did you rate the Ravens overall for the brevet? Must have been good on the tarmac though :wink:
Yeah I'm amazed at what some people race on. They seem to enjoy the challenge or something :? For me the grippier the better :lol:
Good to hear your butt has recovered. Do you think with time you could get used to your saddle, or is it just one of those cleverly disguised torture devices?
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Hmmm, not feeling overly confident about Nationals, but then I was hoping a miracle would happen I guess :P I'm actually pretty pleased with whats happened with my swimming and running in such a short time. My cycling on the other hand... I did the TT again on Wed night and was no faster than back in December when I did the first one. My watts were marginally up, but nothing of note. I am pretty broken mentally by those TTs I think. I must have done 7 of them in the last few months with pretty much zero improvement despite the extra kms from brevet and training for it (and it's not like I have only been on the mtb). I know my legs are relatively smashed right now from the running load, but that's not really enough to account for being so arse. I am around 2 minutes down over 24km of where I would normally be.

Yeah... the Ravens... I am not sure. Rolling speed on roads and gravel can be pretty impossible to tell unless it is a huge difference - so I can't really say if the were better than the Conti Cyclocrosses I used last time. The Contis (42s) were certainly on anything that needed some grip. The Ravens are comfo tires to ride on, so I am sure they helped through the Molesworth. If I do it again, I am not sure what I will do, but I suspect not the Ravens.

I think the saddle is good for shorter stuff, or maybe even 1 day kinda things, but I don't think it will ever be good for big big stuff.

Wednesday lunch 1700m swim:
main set 20x50 on 50 (second 10 with paddles)

Wednesday pm 1hr40 ride with 24km TT, 10 min transition run after TT: Felt good, but TT was complete @$##, see above.

Thursday - decided to skip my run because my legs were feeling pretty trashed. Work got in the way of my swim.
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:05 am

Yeah, I know what you mean in terms of mentally. Very frustrating when the usual or expected improvements, for whatever reason, just don't eventuate :(

I think the best thing to do should be to just forget about the cycling in terms of hitting form, and concentrate on the swimming and running where you're making the gains. Maybe the cycling muscles just need a good rest? They've definitely done enough in the last little while :)
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Cheers, Al. I also need to learn to be realistic about these things, which I am never very good at.

Soooo, forecast for today, insanely heavy rain and 150kph winds. Faaaantastic! Both Ironman and Karapoti were cancelled. Just crazy. Glad I had no intentions of doing either this year.

Friday lunch 50min run with 4x1km @ 3.40, 3.32, 3.43, 3.40: only four, but I am pretty happy with those. stride felt good and I felt some strength. Trying to use those to give me an idea of what to expect next week, but I've got no idea :P

Friday pm swim 2000m:
main set: 15x100m on 1.40
surprised I made that!

I seemed to have picked up a cold/flu/something again. Having two young kids is killer. 8) At least I won't be missing any running or riding since it's not really a reasonable option today anyway!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:08 pm

150kmh winds? Shit, I though you were in summer down there!

Swift recovery from the bug, working with kids I seem to get everything going as well...
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 am

Me three :(

That 2nd int is hauling Mr C. :) Just finished reading "Get Carter" and it seems this triathlon business is damned complicated, and its all about being able to put it together on the day. Shit I have trouble doing that with one event!

Is your race this weekend? Looks like the weather should be a lot better than the weekend we've just had though!
Hope your flu/cold clears up quickly
Alistar

Postby flightlessbirds » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Well done on the brevet, Mr. C. Enjoyed the write up once again and had a good laugh about not remembering your fourth goal. Sounds like it was a good adventure. Good luck with the tri!
flightlessbirds

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks Flightless. :)

Haha, Al. Yeah, it seems I am not so good at putting it all together on race day. I'm pretty legendary amongst my friends for that. :? 8)

Another ironman debacle... always disappointing. I was racing it in 2006 when they made even more of a cluster of it. Unfortunately a 1/2 really has little-to-no relation to a full, it's just a completely different thing.

The forecast is improving for Saturday, so fingers crossed. I'm still not 100% after whatever this latest cold/flu is, but I think I am mostly over it. There seems to be so many variations going around right now.

Saturday/Sunday: off sick

Monday 30 min run with strideouts: feeling pretty heavy!

Tuesday am 2000m swim:
main set
20x50 on 50

Tuesday lunch 1hr ride with 4x2.5km @ just above 1hr pace: avg'd ~310W for all of them and felt like death.
Mr. Cleetus

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs