consistency is key

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: knackers is smashing it downunder

Postby knackers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 am

JP wrote:i've had that kind of knees for few years now

You are doing well then to compete the way you do.

I have a followup with physio on thursday, he's going to do more cartilage testing to see if it has improved at all.
Still sticking to my 7 week squat break, which is pisses me off mind you.
Waiting on glucosamine/CMO tablets to come in the mail.
Plan is to take MSM, gluycosamine/cmo flat out from now on and rub dmso into knee before and after every sprinting/squat/jumpijg/deadlift session in future.

Todays session
11-2-12

Reverse grip pulldowns - 91kgx10, 118kgx8, 145kgx8, 159kgx8/10 (last weight was the stack, can see this machine is going to be short-lived....)
Bentover Row - 70kgx8/10/10
Hammer grip pullups - 5/4/3 - weak!

Gang of fuckwits in the dumbbell area at gym today, glad all my exercises were able to be done in the vacant area at the end.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby knackers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 am

13-2-12 (bw - 107.5 kg)

Pushups (feet elevated hands together) - 3x8
Bench - 10xbar, 5x70, 6x90, 5x95, 5x95, 4x105, 4x105 (4th on last set was very difficult, possible longest rep I have ever done)
Db Bench - 8x32.5, 8x35, 8x37.5 (fail on 9th rep)
Skullcrushers - 8x ez-bar+20, 8x+25, 10x+25

Today was the 3rd bench session out of the 'add 50 program', in total there are 14 sessions, I was only meant to do 102.5 on the last 2 sets today but alot of the weights it calls for require 1.25 plates and the gym I train at doesn't have them..

Fridays session will require a decent psych up.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby knackers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

Didn't get a chance to train yesterday

15-2-12
Pushups (feet up hands together) - 8/8/20
M.Press - bar x10, 60x 5/5/5 , 65 x4/3/3
Closegrip Bench - 60 x8, 70 x8/8/10
Scarecrows - #2x10, #4x8/8/10

Will start making pushups gradually harder from now on, working up to hand on hand/ feet higher, etc. Good for warming up.

The scarecrows were done one handed as couldn't do the exercise 2 hands at once without the weights hitting the top of the machine. One arm works out ok if you don't twist. really good exercise.
knackers

Postby knackers » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:43 pm

16-2-12 (morning weight - 105kg)

Pullups - 1x5
Narrow-grip pulldowns - 118kg x 10, 145kg x 8/8, 159kg x 8
Hammer curls - 17.5 x 8, 20 x 8/6
Db Rows - 40kg x 8/8/12
Scarecrows - 3x8

Had second visit to the physio today, after more testing he now reckons it could be hamstring tendinopathy. But still maybe cartilage issue.
knackers

Postby knackers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 am

17-2-12

Bench - 10xbar, 8x50.4, 5x70, 5x89.6, 3x109.8, 3x109.8, 2x113.3, 2x113.3, 2 x negatives x 127.7

Weighted dips - +17.5 - 6/6/8

Pulled out the home weight equipment, dusted off the cobwebs and set it up.
Also weighed everything to the .1 of a kg, bar, collars, everything, thats why the weights are odd.
Happy to get through tonight.
knackers

Postby knackers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 am

20-2-12

Bench - 10xbar, 50.4 x 8, 72.7 x 6, 95.3 x 6, 102.3 x 5/5, 110.2 x 2 (fail on 3rd), 110.2 x 2

Db Bench - 39.1 x 8/8/7 (fail on 8th)

Skullcrushers - 28.1 x 8, 30.6 x 8/10

Would of liked 3 on the 110 failure test today, but 2 is enough to scrape me through without dropping the weight just yet.

Lots of motivation, got to witness a 1000 lb deadlift on saturday !
knackers

Postby knackers » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:30 am

21-2-12 BW - 106.5

Pullups - 5/5/6

Db Rows - 39 x 8, 42 x 8, 44 x 18 pb

Barbell Curls - 33.3 x 8/8/12

pumped
knackers

Postby JP » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 am

knackers wrote:
JP wrote:i've had that kind of knees for few years now

You are doing well then to compete the way you do.

most guys have similar problems, i think its the jerky movements that do it, seems like more weightlifters have it rather than powerlifters.

But thats just an off the cuff remark, your issue could be totally different. Good that you are doing stuff to rehab/prehab it though, icing has always been the best for me, just a bit of icing after a session and its fine. Oh and knee sleeves in all sessions no matter what i do, keeps them nice and warm.

at least you have a chance to get a nice beach body now with all the upper body work :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby knackers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:56 am

JP wrote:most guys have similar problems, i think its the jerky movements that do it, seems like more weightlifters have it rather than powerlifters.

But thats just an off the cuff remark, your issue could be totally different. Good that you are doing stuff to rehab/prehab it though, icing has always been the best for me, just a bit of icing after a session and its fine. Oh and knee sleeves in all sessions no matter what i do, keeps them nice and warm.

at least you have a chance to get a nice beach body now with all the upper body work

Yes, knee sleeves, gotta get me some of those.. Will have to have a look around this week.

And beach body is coming along nicely 8)
knackers

Postby knackers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:09 am

22-2-12 (BW - 107.5)

Pushups variation - 8/8/20
M.Press - 11.8 x 10, 53.1 x 8, 62.5 x 5 (twinge in shoulder)
Cuban rotations - 6.8kg for 3 sets of 10
M.Press - 62.5x4 (f on 5th), 53 x 5
B.Squat - 3 x 10 - 53kg
C.G Bench - 53 x 8, 67.5 x 8, 77 x 8, 86.3 x 5
Standard pushups to failure - 39
knackers

Postby knackers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 am

23-2-12 (BW - 107)

Wide H/Grip pull-ups off rings - 8
Chins off square beam - 5
H/grip pull-ups off rings - 6
Pullup off bar - 6/5/6/6/6
Chins off bar - 7/6

Food log for today
4 oranges
1/2L oat milk with pea protein, msm, vital greens, hemp oil, hemp meal
snitzel sandwich ( 2 frys snitzels with thick filling of peanut butter )
1 apple, 1 kiwifruit
8 dates
1/2 L oatmilk, msm, peaprotein, hemp meal
clif bar with liberal coating of peanut butter
1/2 L oatmilk, msm, peaprotein, hemp meal
2 oranges, 1 glass of orange and carrot juice
2 big plate of carrots roasted in olive oil
2 coconut waters
shitload of water throughout day
knackers

Postby knackers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 am

24-2-12

Cuban Rotations - 6.8kg db's - 3x10

Bench - 8x53.1, 5x72.7, 5x92.3, 3x109.2, 3x109.2, 1x120.5, 1x120.5, 2xNx131.8

Pffft.........meant to be doubles with 120.5 today, yeah right. Struggled with the singles.

Did a few weighted dips in the rack off barbells, smacked me head a few times, cracked the shits... going to go and buy a proper dipping station, too much stuffing around and not enough room in the rack.
knackers

Postby knackers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 am

25-2-12

Tactical Krav maga induction at Guardian defence in Brunswick - 3 1/2 hrs
Really awesome big warehouse type setup, instructors seem really passionate and experienced.
Although it was only an induction we ran through a few drills and I somehow could remember stuff I learnt in my krav training last year... :D
Would train here if I lived closer, they even have a dedicated padded room and padded van for scenario based drills !! awesome.

28-2-12
Bench - 10xbar, 8x70, 5x105, 5x105, 2x115, 6x100 - was meant to be 2 triples at 113.5 and 2 failure tests at 113.5 but all the racks were taken and had no one to spot, 3rd one was tough with 115 so took no chances, but the lift off was that friggin low anyway should count it as 3....

Dumbell bench - 40's x 8/8/8 pb

Skullcrushers - 30 x 8/8/8

Squats - bar x 10, 5x70, 5x110, 5x130 - knee has been feeling a lot better so had to give squats a go.. tempted to go heavier but ease into it. happy to get 5x130 pretty easily, knees made some cracking noises but feeling good at the moment. wooo!
knackers

Postby knackers » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 am

poor effort getting to the gym in the last week, but did spend a couple of days smashing some very difficult fence footings through concrete/brick/clay

Tuesday 6th March
bench / can't remember exacts weights but was something like this - 2x10xbar, 10x60, 8x70, 5x100, missed attempt at 130, couple of sets of 4 at 105
dumbell bench - 4x45's (heavy) , 10x32.5

Had 3rd and last visit to physio today about the knee. Recap as follows
1st visit -cartiladge issue and slim chance calf issue, attacks calf with needles
2nd visit - changes mind to hamstring tendinopathy, massages hamstring and back of knee
3rd visit - not sure what it is exactly, reckons most likely hamstring tendinopathy or cartilage but not sure, recommends gradually increasing weights and respecting the knee (common sense), advises against MRI, but if it gets hurt again then can go see him and get referred to MRI straight away.

So he really wasn't sure what it is exactly in the end. Bit of waste of money really. The only step from here is getting another opinion or just continuing my training and if it flares up in future either pour concrete and water over it and command it to HTFU, or go and get a MRI when its inflamed and they can see what it is. At the moment if got MRI physio reckons its not guaranteed they will be able to see it.

Maybe its time for SMOLOV action... :D :wink:
knackers

Postby knackers » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 am

10-3-12

Squat - 8x40, 8x60, 8x80, 8x100, 8x120

Wanted to do more today but cracked it, there was some documentary playing in the background with tv adverts constantly, got pissed off and asked the gym staff to put some music on, they reckon they couldn't achieve this so I left and told them Im tearing my membership up, stuff listening to constant friggin tv adverts and doco, its a gym for crying out loud,what a joke.
Last time I was there ' my heart will go on ' by whitney houston was playing when I was going for a bench 1rm.... I almost fell asleep.

Is it that hard to find a gym that has a decent atmosphere, i.e. decent music and not full of egomaniacs...
knackers

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs