Vegan soccer player

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan soccer player

Postby Konstantin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l#comments

Vegan Howell has some shock ingredients in store as he prepares for another upset
By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 10:02 PM on 17th February 2012

Comments (4) Share
Dean Howell is not your stereotypical footballer. You won’t find him falling out of the latest trendy nightspot; instead, you’ll most likely find him at home with a hot mug of cacao and maca root.

Say what? Well, cacao is a natural alternative to chocolate and maca is a herb used to support energy and strength. That’s right, Howell is a proud vegan - and the Crawley left back swears by the choice to abstain from the use of animal produce.

‘I’ve been a vegan for around six or seven years and feel great for it. My flexibility, recovery and endurance have improved.
Feeling better than ever: Crawley's left back Howell
‘I’ve played football since I was 15 or 16 and always struggled with injuries. But I’m benefiting from veganism in my later years and feel like I’m playing the best football of my career.’

It was the loss of his grandmother, Georgina Brown, that provided the catalyst for the 31-year-old to take his interest to a new level.

‘Losing my nan to breast cancer was something that made me question it further because she never smoked or drank,’ said Howell, who will face Stoke in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday.

‘I decided to look into the foods she ate and it’s gone from there really.’

With the help of two friends, Gareth Langford and Ryan Brown, the much-travelled defender established his own range of herb-based, vegan friendly products, available on his website www.revolution-foods.com.
With a summer research trip to South America and a vegan restaurant in the pipeline, Howell is planning for life after football. ‘I was always keen to set up a business that I’m passionate about. My passion is my vegan lifestyle; for me football is a job. I respect football for what it has done for me and the people I have met, but it only lasts for a certain amount of time. Your health is everything.’

Stocked up: Howell has gone into business selling vegan products
Unfortunately, veganism does come with its flaws. He said: ‘I can’t go out much, it’s very difficult. There’s a couple of vegan places in London that I can go to, but it’s a nightmare. I can go out, but I just have to eat boring salads.

Buying groceries can be a bit annoying as well, I can only really do it online.

‘And I can’t eat lunch with team-mates at the training ground. I’ll take a mango with me and eat when I get home.

‘Even my team-mates are getting into it. There’s six or seven of them that take my products.

‘I sold it to them off how fit I am. I’m 31, I’m the quickest and fittest at the club. But obviously, with footballers being footballers they won’t actually tell me how amazing they think my products are.’

They will probably be more appreciative if Howell helps land a giant-killing at the Broadfield Stadium.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1mlmn4te7
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Vegan soccer player

Postby xJimx » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:17 pm

^ Ha came here to post this! The mother in law spotted it in her Daily Mail :roll:
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Konstantin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:30 am

I like the article but what's that about not being able to bring any lunch except a mango?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby LMM » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Unfortunately the 'health' information and advice on Howell's website is largely a regurgitation of discredited and disproven myths which abound on the interne, the acid/alkaline obsession and the dangerous misinformation about cancer (including the advice to avoid all conventional treatment) in particular
Last edited by LMM on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMM

Postby HumanGazelle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Dean Howell wrote:I can’t go out much, it’s very difficult. There’s a couple of vegan places in London that I can go to, but it’s a nightmare. I can go out, but I just have to eat boring salads.

This sounds nothing like the kind of veganism I know. I can only assume he means he has limited choices when out with carnivore friends though.

Dean Howell wrote:Buying groceries can be a bit annoying as well, I can only really do it online.

I suspect he tries to eat only raw superfoods, so he probably has to supplement with fruit in order to maintain a minimum level of key nutrients like falafel, cake and chocolate.
HumanGazelle

Postby dublin dave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Below is a quote from the Revolution Foods website...

Our stance is that gluten from acid forming grains such as wheat, corn, barley and rice should be totally cut from the diet as the gluten from these grains is inorganic and not recognised by the body.

http://www.revolution-foods.com/why_alkaline.php

It is simply factually wrong...they are claiming that gluten is inorganic!

Gluten is a protein and proteins are organic compounds...

A. M. Smith, G. Coupland, L. Dolan, N. Harberd, J. Jones, C. Martin, R Sablowski & A. Amey (2010) Plant Biology Oxford: Garland Science.

A useful web link on proteins...

http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/virttxtjml/proteins.htm
dublin dave

Postby JP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 am

dammit, they lost.

(even if he is a health food peddler)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Does anyone know of any other vegan footballers? Given that there are about 100 professional clubs, each with a first team squad of about 25, I would expect there to be a few around.
Konstantin

Postby captain caveman III » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Konstantin wrote:Does anyone know of any other vegan footballers? Given that there are about 100 professional clubs, each with a first team squad of about 25, I would expect there to be a few around.

I don't know about any of the current crop of players being vegan, but Neil Robinson was a professional vegan footballer back in the 70s and 80s. There's an article about him in a copy of The Vegan from 1985, he became vegan in 1981.

I have a copy of this magazine, but i can't remember where i put it. :?
captain caveman III

Return to General Discussion