Turning into a fat bastard

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Turning into a fat bastard

Postby muchluv » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 am

Can I just be a noob and ask how having a lot more fat makes someone stronger? Would have thought it'd be the opposite cos you're lifting more of your own weight.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:59 am

muchluv wrote:Can I just be a noob and ask how having a lot more fat makes someone stronger? Would have thought it'd be the opposite cos you're lifting more of your own weight.

The theory is that to grow muscle you need an excess of calories. However if you have an excess of calories your body stores it as fat, so its a double edged sword.
To make it more confusing growing muscles is not the same thing as getting stronger but there is some carry over.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 am

well, plenty of time to change your mind and choose some other crazy goal on the way up :D

i got to 118 at one point, but then had a big injury and cut my weight while couldnt really train properly. Now i am happy at my much lower weight - with bigger strength - but we all have different goals. I like being lean nowdays, feel so much better!

Would be nice to be about 115 lean though :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 am

muchluv wrote:Can I just be a noob and ask how having a lot more fat makes someone stronger? Would have thought it'd be the opposite cos you're lifting more of your own weight.

The excess fat makes you bigger, which decreases range of motion in many lifts, so you can use heavier weights than a smaller person with a longer range of motion. It's like board pressing or box squats but with fat limiting the movement. Also, I'm american, so whether I'll be stronger or not, bigger is better over here :lol:

JP wrote:well, plenty of time to change your mind and choose some other crazy goal on the way up :D

i got to 118 at one point, but then had a big injury and cut my weight while couldnt really train properly. Now i am happy at my much lower weight - with bigger strength - but we all have different goals. I like being lean nowdays, feel so much better!

Would be nice to be about 115 lean though :D

I'm stubborn as fuck, so it will take something like getting hit by a truck to change my mind on this. Or, maybe I'll catch a nasty case of emo at some point, but that is highly unlikely. I already have other crazy goals as well, without crazy goals why am I even doing this :D ?

Anyway, I've got 8 years till I'm 35, so it's only like 7 kg a year, which isn't very crazy really.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby JP » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am

but it just gets harder as you get higher with the bodyweight.

and without PEDs you would be packing so much fat it would decrease the quality of your life a lot, think about things like snoring, sleep apnea, constant tiredness, high blood pressure, running out of breath climbing the stairs, back pains and so on.

sounds awesome :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 am

Goobs will be so fat he'll need two profiles on here! *drumroll ... cymbal crash*

don't mind me :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby kallefs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Whatever you decide, take a photo each month.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Goob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 am

kallefs wrote:Whatever you decide, take a photo each month.

I had planned on doing that when I started lifting a year ago, but only got around to taking one picture several months in which I deleted because they turned out blurry and dark. I think I'm getting a new phone with a better camera, so maybe will start on that picture taking business when that happens.

I've actually been trying to find a before picture to show just how skinny i was a year ago, but no luck because I'm not in very many pictures.
Goob

Postby sosso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am

Don't forget the little things that will make everyday life hell.

You will find most chairs extremely uncomfortable. This is how it is for me at around 110 kg. You will probably break a few.

It will be difficult to find clothes that fit nicely and look good. I guess if you're ok with wearing one of these, you'll be fine -

You will probably feel hot and sweaty all the time.
sosso

Postby wannalift » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 pm

You'd be better off with PED's. Much better off.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby Goob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:53 am

wannalift wrote:You'd be better off with PED's. Much better off.

Could be, but I'm not into that stuff

I was talking to a big dude about this today (1.85m, ~130 kg) He says I shouldn't let myself get fat right now. Since I'll get fat pretty much whatever I do after 250 or 260 lbs, I should try to keep my body fat under 15% at all times. He says close to 10% which seems like abs to me, but I'm assured that those will go away as I get bigger since 10% is a lot of fat when you weigh 300 lbs.

Seems I've already let bodyfat get too high at ~18% :lol:, so will wait another month at least before I do the fat loss stuff because I want to get some pbs. Might keep at it till I can get 250+ lbs squat, depends on how the weather goes. May also just ignore him completely and deal with whatever happens though. But, he's a big guy and has done this before, so it's probably the best advice I'll get on this really. The other big guys are all juice monkeys, so I don't think their advice won't really apply to me.
Goob

Previous

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating