Really, Really Confused About Abs

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Really, Really Confused About Abs

Postby Jonathan27 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:21 am

Okay, I know there's pretty much a million abs threads, but I need the basics explained to me.

I want to gain muscle, but I also want abs. I'm trying to eat a ton, but I don't want that to keep me from getting abs. If I'm eating my daily calories (3000), is that going to keep me from getting the six pack of my dreams? Are bulking and abs exclusive? One last question: I'm guessing weighted abs exercises are the best/better than non weighted ab exercises?

Sorry for the bombardment; I have been checking out all the threads though, and I'm getting conflicting answers going on.
Jonathan27

Re: Really, Really Confused About Abs

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:11 am

One goal at a time. I would suggest you shoot for visible abs first, which is >90% diet, then build some muscle. When you start losing the abs tighten up your eating accordingly. Keep protein high and lower the carbs on non-training days.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby Jonathan27 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:00 am

Okay thanks; do I do a calorie deficiency of about 500? And I do intervals and work at least one muscle group every day but Sunday; should I cut back on the two days I just do my abs/cardio?
Jonathan27

Postby vegan hal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

i don't worry about abs really myself. but I was always under the impression that it would be best to first pack on some muscle and fat, then it's easier to lose the belly fat later with dieting and some cardio.

good luck.
vegan hal

Postby Seitanist » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:47 pm

vegan hal wrote:i don't worry about abs really myself. but I was always under the impression that it would be best to first pack on some muscle and fat, then it's easier to lose the belly fat later with dieting and some cardio.

good luck.

I would agree with that.

Visible abs are all about low body fat, and that is largely through diet. Generally, the lower the carbs, the lower your body fat will go, but there are diminishing returns somewhere in there. It's hard to train a lot if you are only eating protein and veggies (in my experience), so if you want to get big, do that first, and then worry about shedding any excess fat you may have acquired.

Tim Ferriss' Four Hour Body has some good tips on this, though he is anti-soy and not vegan.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby muchluv » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

As for ab workouts try getting an ab wheel and doing kneeling ab roll outs. Bird dogs can be used for the lower back and side bridges for obliques.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby rebootpt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Repeating what has been said before, it is 90% diet, if you don't get that right you wont get your 6 pack.
If you don't want to give up carbs completely then just try cutting out certain carbs. Try giving up wheat for a while, I have had some great results with clients just cutting one food type. Try and find the type of food that gets you most bloated and give that up.
Try adding in some interval training on rest days this will burn more calories but not inhibit the muscle building.
Try hill sprints or burpees and mountain climbers anything that gets you out of breath fast.
Depends on how much you train already but if you do 4 days weight training you can add up to 2 days intervals, just make sure you get plenty of sleep and have at least one day off a week.
rebootpt

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights