Losing Weight!!

Going vegan and new vegans in need of support or information.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Losing Weight!!

Postby Mrcuse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Hello all Im 33 year old male, who has been vegan since Jan. 1st 2012. Im 5"7 and 180 pounds. All my weight is in my gut and upper thighs. I just started working out 2 weeks ago doing bodyweight exercises and jumping rope. My question is where can I find a site how to eat. Thanks..
Mrcuse

Re: Losing Weight!!

Postby dublin dave » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:16 pm

What type of foods are you eating at the moment?
dublin dave

Postby Mrcuse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Im eating alot of veggies, fruits and beans and rice. Also nuts, and wheat free pasta. I just dont know how to structure my diet to gain muscle. I eat 4-5 times a day.
Mrcuse

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Nutrient calculators such as fitday.com can help you get an idea of what your daily diet is looking like in terms of macro and micro nutrient levels.

If you are wanting a diet geared towards weight lifting and building muscle you will be looking at one that provides an excess of calories and one that is protein dense. By protein dense i mean getting enough for your weight/height and activity level, i find 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight suffices for most. An online calculator like i mention above can help you check what your average daily levels are if worried.

If not allergic some Soy/Tofu is a good protein source. If you are losing weight as the thread title suggests then you aren't getting enough calories at present. Easiest way if you are having trouble getting accustomed to consuming large amounts of food would be to take an extra protein shake in daily.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Talyn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Is this a serious thread?
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Mrcuse » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes its serious! I thought someone could show me an example of foods to eat for working out. I know how to workout, but needed help setting up a vegan meal plan.
Mrcuse

Postby Talyn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Mrcuse wrote:Yes its serious! I thought someone could show me an example of foods to eat for working out. I know how to workout, but needed help setting up a vegan meal plan.

Ok fair enough. A few questions for you then:

whereabouts do you live

do you have any food allergies

what is your goal, is it to lose fat, gain muscle or both. if it is both, which one is more important to you in the short-term (lose fat/gain muscle)

do you have access to a gym with freeweights
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Chron-o-meter is another good site for counting your nutrients.

You started by saying you were losing weight, and it seemed you were concerned. Remember that before you were vegan you ate animal products which are often dense in calories and fats. It's common for people to lose weight when they go vegan. A simple piece of advice is to eat more, and make sure you get plenty of fat. Grind up seeds and add them to soaked dates to make a sort of cake - easy.

Beans and grains are good for calories and protein too. Get some serious portions in.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Mrcuse » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:48 am

Talyn wrote:
Mrcuse wrote:Yes its serious! I thought someone could show me an example of foods to eat for working out. I know how to workout, but needed help setting up a vegan meal plan.

Ok fair enough. A few questions for you then:

whereabouts do you live

do you have any food allergies

what is your goal, is it to lose fat, gain muscle or both. if it is both, which one is more important to you in the short-term (lose fat/gain muscle)

do you have access to a gym with freeweights

I live in CT. As for food allergies I cannot have wheat, or milk. My goal is to gain muscle and just lose some belly fat. I started 2 weeks ago at a gym. I have been doing working out T-W-F. Chest tri's, back bi's, shoulders legs. Cardio on the weekends, and abs 3 times a week. Thanks for getting back to me.
Mrcuse

Postby Mrcuse » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:50 am

Konstantin wrote:Chron-o-meter is another good site for counting your nutrients.

You started by saying you were losing weight, and it seemed you were concerned. Remember that before you were vegan you ate animal products which are often dense in calories and fats. It's common for people to lose weight when they go vegan. A simple piece of advice is to eat more, and make sure you get plenty of fat. Grind up seeds and add them to soaked dates to make a sort of cake - easy.

Beans and grains are good for calories and protein too. Get some serious portions in.

Thanks for the reply!!
Mrcuse

Return to New Vegan