Survivalism, Bug off Bags and I am legend.

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Survivalism, Bug off Bags and I am legend.

Postby knackers » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 am

This reminds of the questions I used to cop at my last workplace...

"If all the systems collapsed and the supermarkets were empty what would you do? Would you come hunting? I know what Id be doing, Id be out there with my rifle hehe" Other redneck mate remarks "Id be out in me boat, plenty of fish out there, while all you idiots are shooting each other"

Fortunately at the time, I lived in a coastal area and knew half a dozen nutritious wild edible plants that grow abundance in the area and could give them the logical reply and add in that they will run out of bullets, and run out of petrol long before I would run out of food....

Now Im living in a more urban area I should get out and find a good wild food source incase I get that question again..

In terms of essentials, definitely swiss army knife, big knife, matches, first aid kit maybe some sort of small volume superfood, torch/headlamp, water bottle with inbuilt filter, rope, bar of soap, towel, hmmm, don't know what else, oh and treats for my dogs :wink:
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby fredrikw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice forum archaeology there. How is the bag thing going Baldy? Any major catastrophes it has saved you from yet?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Re:

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Gelert wrote:Don't get too paranoid. Most people will never encounter such a situation or be dead by the opening credits, running around a city with an M4 is for the privileged few.

Ditto. The few people left alive after a real apocalypse would face an unpleasant world they wouldn't want to live in, punctuated by a death in a most unpleasant manner. The best "bug off bag" would be a bottle of cyanide tablets or something else that would bring death painlessly, locked in a cabinet somewhere while you do your best to enjoy life before an apocalypse.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm

fredrikw wrote:Nice forum archaeology there. How is the bag thing going Baldy? Any major catastrophes it has saved you from yet?

I am still alive so it must be working, at the moment my gym bag is perfect BOB. Always stocked with protein shake, snacks, pain killers, plasters, waterbottle and a leatherman. Then the revolution happens, I will survive the first 24 hours.

Having watched "The Walking Dead", I have a better idea of what a BOB really needs to contain.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 pm

But that bag didn't really do them any good, did it?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:45 pm

They got a LOT of use out of those guns.

beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 pm

baldy wrote:Having watched "The Walking Dead", I have a better idea of what a BOB really needs to contain.

The really scary thing about that virus is that it takes both British people and people from New Jersey then gives them Georgian accents.

beforewisdom

Postby fredrikw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm

beforewisdom wrote:They got a LOT of use out of those guns.

Didn't they lose them when they needed them the most? But first and foremost, they managed to survive without them, so that heavy bag was defaulted as not needed. This bag needs to contain what you really need, not just what would be handy but you can do without.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Based on 'Shaun of the Dead' a cricket bat is a REALLY good idea for that bag.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:33 am

fredrikw wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:They got a LOT of use out of those guns.

Didn't they lose them when they needed them the most?

Nope.

The protagonist, Rick, cleaned out the gun locker at his police station and filled that bag at the beginning of the series. He dropped the bag in Atlanta during an attack, before he met up with the other survivors. Those survivors were low on ammo and guns, before he went on a mission to Atlanta to retrieve the bag. Those guns are used almost every time they encounter walkers.

I think the way to is with a cross bow like Daryl's and a fireman's axe for close quarters. Those things are reusable and don't make a loud noise like the guns, which attract more zombies.

It is interesting how Daryl doesn't get infected pulling his arrows out of zombies. I guess you could always say he is careful cleaning the arrows off.

Getting back to reality, a "bug out bag", might be useful in an evacuation ( not an apocalypse ) situation, like a global warming flood, a nuclear power plant accident, etc. I would vote for water, energy bars, tea, antibiotics, stimulants, a chemically powered flash light, basic hygiene stuff, a canteen of water and a book to get your mind off your troubles while you are huddled in a refugee center.

beforewisdom

Previous

Return to General Discussion