Chewy's Strength Log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Chewy's Powerlifting Log

Postby chewybaws » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Thu 9th February 2012
10x Hill Sprints, easy hill

First time doing hill sprints. These actually didn't feel too bad at the time. But when I jogged at a slow pace to cool down it became immediately clear that I was fucked haha. Not surprising that my groin is sore but my elbows come in close 2nd. Wtf lol. The ground was wet and my shoes weren't exactly grippy, but it was a good laugh. Me and my workout buddy don't really have running gear we just really lift. So we were out dressed like twats.

I have this feeling that I won't be able to walk when I get up tomorrow. I never really go long walks, never mind jog or run. Oh well, just deadlifts tomorrow really. I use a close stance so my groin will be safe.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby JP » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

sorry to hear about the big changes man.

read your analysis with interest too, many things to discuss but i guess your mind is elsewhere.

stay strong buddy.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:50 pm

keep the faith brother! :D
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby chewybaws » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Cheers guys!

JP wrote:read your analysis with interest too, many things to discuss but i guess your mind is elsewhere.
I'm looking to keep my mind busy, so any questions fire away :)

Done 30 mins on the exercise bike, low resistance. Just to get a sweat on. Out of boredom.
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby Talyn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey I really like the analysis you did, very detailed and you can certainly tell what has worked for you and what hasn't. It makes me wish I'd kept such records of my own weight and training programs over the years.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Keep your chin up!
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Goob » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:25 pm

chewybaws wrote:Thu 9th February 2012
...when I jogged at a slow pace to cool down it became immediately clear that I was fucked haha.

that's the thing with sprints, it's so fast you don't notice how much it sucks till just after, then it's all downhill from that point really
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 am

Talyn wrote:Hey I really like the analysis you did, very detailed and you can certainly tell what has worked for you and what hasn't. It makes me wish I'd kept such records of my own weight and training programs over the years.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Keep your chin up!

was also interested to read the analysis.

I think you are right that powerlifting is really not for you. How about Strongman though!?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 am

i've mostly had this opinion that if the routine is more or less sound, it doesnt matter which one you follow, they will produce results - its the other factors which will come to play even more, from, diet and rest, to life stresses, training partners, position of moon and availability of druids and crystals - in other words, who knows...

The psychological factors are hugely important though - if you believe that THIS routine produces results, it has a higher likelyhood to do so :D

For me the biggest factor is my surroundings and training partners. Everything else just supplements that.

So therefore, your conclusions seem rushed. Sure its easier to make strength gains with weight gains - though then you could say you are not making much relative strength gains anyway :D But time and time again people from all kinds of strength sports show that you can make solid gains without the weight gains. Even on this forum we have many people who have proved it - hey i guess i am one of those since i have been in the 105 class for few years now :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm

JP wrote:i've mostly had this opinion that if the routine is more or less sound, it doesnt matter which one you follow, they will produce results - its the other factors which will come to play even more, from, diet and rest, to life stresses, training partners, position of moon and availability of druids and crystals - in other words, who knows...

The psychological factors are hugely important though - if you believe that THIS routine produces results, it has a higher likelyhood to do so :D

For me the biggest factor is my surroundings and training partners. Everything else just supplements that.

So therefore, your conclusions seem rushed. Sure its easier to make strength gains with weight gains - though then you could say you are not making much relative strength gains anyway :D But time and time again people from all kinds of strength sports show that you can make solid gains without the weight gains. Even on this forum we have many people who have proved it - hey i guess i am one of those since i have been in the 105 class for few years now :)
You're right. Instead of putting the conclusions in, I should've just left it that I *haven't* gained strength maintaining bodyweight instead of I *can't*. Looking at the graph I've never spent a lot of time around the same weight anyway so I shouldn't be making absolute conclusions.

But my plan of action remains the same, I know it works and want to get bigger and stronger.

Lordmuppet wrote:I think you are right that powerlifting is really not for you. How about Strongman though!?
It's early days yet but I'm not wanting to worry about staying in a certain weight barrier (and really shouldn't be anyway). I'll prob end up doing comps again within the next couple of years (possibly sooner). But I'm not really thinking about it just now.

Been having a shitty week, and mood's been getting worse. Sleeping isn't getting any easier. And my legs felt destroyed when I got up this morning

Fri 10th February 2012
Boydweight = 84.9kg

Squats (pause first and last rep)
1x5x60kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x5x80kg

Push Press
1x5x47.5kg
1x3x52.5kg
1x8x60kg

Deadlift
1x5x147.5kg (hook grip, no belt)
1x3x165kg (hook grip, no belt)
1x6x185kg (hook grip, belt)

Tried deadlifts with bands basically I managed one set with doubled blue small bands before the bands started pulling the DB's around under the bar. We'd already tried a different setup. I lost the plot, couldn't be fucked with it. Just tidied up, stretched and left.

Hook grip held up quite well on deads, could use it from now on. I kept a couple of reps in the tank today.
chewybaws

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm

chewybaws wrote:Sleeping isn't getting any easier. And my legs felt destroyed when I got up this morning..

No point in fighting the sleep I reckon, if your not going to sleep, put the time to constructive use. I recommend Fight Club, Rocky and Californication.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JP » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 pm

baldy wrote:
chewybaws wrote: I recommend Fight Club, Rocky and Californication.

...you wank to some weird shit mate... not judging, to each their own!

chewy, i agree, no reason to worry about bodyweight - especially since it does feel like you would like to get bigger for getting bigger sake too ;)
JP
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 pm

baldy wrote:I recommend Fight Club
This was the first part of your comment I saw. The funny thing was I was saying to my workout partner last night about a MMA gym that's opened in our town, a 2 minute drive from my house. They do beginner's BJJ and muay thai on a Tuesday night. I might head along see what it's like.

I've also never seen the film so I'll need to get a hold of it lol.

JP wrote:chewy, i agree, no reason to worry about bodyweight - especially since it does feel like you would like to get bigger for getting bigger sake too ;)
Yes, being 80-85kg at 6ft is not optimal for self esteem :lol:
chewybaws

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

chewybaws wrote:being 80-85kg at 6ft is not optimal for self esteem :lol:

Skinny vegan! :) Watch fight club, it is essential, then watch snatch, then watch fear and loathing in Las Vegas, then watch the Big Lebowski, end off with High Fidelity and if you can stomach it About a Boy.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 pm

baldy wrote:
chewybaws wrote:being 80-85kg at 6ft is not optimal for self esteem :lol:

Skinny vegan! :) Watch fight club, it is essential, then watch snatch, then watch fear and loathing in Las Vegas, then watch the Big Lebowski, end off with High Fidelity and if you can stomach it About a Boy.

I second most of those recommendations, but wtf? About a Boy??????????? I say Brazil or 12 Monkeys instead of that one. Much better films and Terry Gilliam is out of his mind.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby chewybaws » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Week 4 (deload)

Mon 13th February 2012
Bodyweight = 84.8kg

Squat
1x5x57.5kg
1x5x72.5kg
1x5x87.5kg

DB Bench
2x10x22.5kg DBs
1x10x25kg DBs

Kroc Rows
2x10x32.5kg DB
1x10x35kg DB

Weighted Dips
3x10 +2.5kg

BB Curls
1x10x20kg
1x10x25kg

Wed 15th February 2012
Bodyweight = 84kg

Front Squat
After taking the bar for 2x15, pulled my groin on the 3rd rep at 50kg

Bench
1x5x30kg
1x5x37.5kg
1x5x45kg

Pullups
10 normal
2x10 assisted with purple mini band

OHP
3x10x32.5kg

Friday 17th February 2012
Bodyweight = 84.7kg

Leg Press (feet together)
1x15x130kg
1x15x150kg

Push press
1x5x25kg
1x5x32.5kg
1x5x37.5kg

Deadlift
1x5x77.5kg
1x5x97.5kg
1x5x117.5kg

Deadlift with bands
1x10x70kg +purple mini
1x10x70kg +red super mini
1x10x70kg +blue small
1x10x70kg +blue small + purple mini

Deload week's always boring for the main exercises. Didn't do a proper mobility warmup on wednesday was in a rush, however I done 2x15 with the bar before my first front squat set. There's no way my groin should've pulled with just 50kg. It was obviously overtight and ready to go. Friday I tried to do my normal warmup but I can't lunge, do mountain climbers, squat to stands or foam roll certain positions because of my groin, and trying them just made it worse. Leg press will be my squat replacement. Through trial and error I basically have to have my feet completely together, my knees can't go outwards at all otherwise my groin takes some of it.

As far as mood goes, I feel much better this week following the breakup. Last Saturday my mood hit an all time low but since Sunday I felt much much better. I've unsubscribed from all her stuff online which is much better for coping with stuff. I obviously still get sad sometimes but compared to my mood swings last week doing much better.

Due to poor diet the last couple of weeks and stress got more spots on my body just now, sucks. But eating a lot better today and more veg, should be able to keep it up now.

Went clothes shopping this week and got some new stuff online. My first attempt in shops wasn't good. Over 7 years of my adult life i've spent over 6 with a girl, and when I needed clothes we'd go together. I was walking around a clothes shop like...."I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" haha. Got some jeans and plenty of t-shirts with tight sleeves to get the guns on display.

Watched fight club earlier in the week. Keep attempting to watch Snatch (pretty sure I seen it years ago) but always fall asleep within 10 mins haha.
chewybaws

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs