Embedding YouTube Videos

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Embedding YouTube Videos

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Youtube has changed some things with their URLs making it harder to embed videos here. Well, there is a way around that.

If you press the "Youtube" link on the bottom of a youtube video embedded in a web site, you will get taken to youtube. The URL you will find there in your browser doesn't work for embedding videos here. That URL looks like this:
Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZLwPACAhEW8

You need to trim out this:
feature=player_embedded

To get this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwPACAhEW8

And do this with it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLwPACAhEW8[/youtube]
Last edited by beforewisdom on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Embedding YouTube Videos

Postby fredrikw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Or you can just grab the URL from the web browser's address field, there it still looks as it should (probably need to trim at the end so it matches how it's described when hovering with the cursor above the youtube button here on VF). That haven't changed as far as I know.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 am

fredrikw wrote:Or you can just grab the URL from the web browser's address field, there it still looks as it should (probably need to trim at the end so it matches how it's described when hovering with the cursor above the youtube button here on VF). That haven't changed as far as I know.

It has changed. Like I wrote, if your starting point is the "Youtube" link on a video embedded in a blog somewhere, the URL in your browser at the destination has that extra string it which will make it, not, work here.

beforewisdom

Postby fredrikw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:24 am

Hmm, now I see what you mean. Perhaps edit the original post to reflect this? That it's when you come from another website with a youtube video embedded? I just noticed that on Facebook, if you click the link below the video the URL is like I described, but if you click the link appearing in the video or the button on the actual video player, it appears as you describe it. How very inconvenient...
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon May 14, 2012 10:42 am

I'm finding embedding quite a hassle just now and figured others are so decided to sticky this
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby beforewisdom » Fri May 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:I'm finding embedding quite a hassle just now and figured others are so decided to sticky this

Man, you are getting stick stuff all over my post?!

beforewisdom

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:36 pm

update: If you are having trouble embedding please drop the 's' from the https if you have one in your link
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to General Discussion