Baldy does stuff occasionally

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Baldy gets the rage on in Woking

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am

ninearms wrote:You got me today for sure, but I'll just keep telling myself I did 75/100 on Friday and 107 out of the rack today. We'll see how Wednesday goes - 75/95 is the plan.

107kg Jerk is strong (but I don't need to tell you that it doesn't count for much if you can't clean it). Good confidence boost though.
75/100 in training, so few extra kgs once you are tapered and psyched for the comp, you will be smashing up the British Championships!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Just as an additional thought:
You seem to max out a lot. While that can lead to strength gains it can also lead to no gains, if you just keep pushing for them.
Especially for the squats I´d say you can never have too many sets. But maybe that´s the Russian trainer speaking :D
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 am

Mellos wrote:Just as an additional thought:
You seem to max out a lot. While that can lead to strength gains it can also lead to no gains, if you just keep pushing for them.
Especially for the squats I´d say you can never have too many sets. But maybe that´s the Russian trainer speaking :D

You are spot on, I need to do more high volume stuff, like doubles and triples :)
I actually wrote out my plan for monday with lots of volume, but fell into peer pressure and maxed out. Lesson learnt, no maxing out until I get back from ZA (unless a PB is in the bag and needs to be nabbed).
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 pm

baldy wrote:
Mellos wrote:Just as an additional thought:

You are spot on, I need to do more high volume stuff, like doubles and triples :)

That one had me laugh :lol:
But when it comes to the Olympic lifts every set above 3 or 4 reps is extensive cardio. I´d try to focus on squats and push press or so when it comes to volume. At least that is still humane ;)
Current PBs:

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Mellos

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am

Mellos wrote:That one had me laugh :lol:
But when it comes to the Olympic lifts every set above 3 or 4 reps is extensive cardio. I´d try to focus on squats and push press or so when it comes to volume. At least that is still humane ;)

Yeah, had a chat with my coach about my new plan. Now that I am "certified" assistant coach he is keen for me to write my own program and then he works his magic on it.
So plan is to hit the main lifts (C&J, Snatch, Front Squats) then do pulls from the floor and behind the neck push press to work on my weaknesses. Mellos approved?

Tuesday went for deep tissue massage, my left hand rotar cuff was totally knotted up, brutal massage but today all the pain is gone (except for the bruises she left behind).

Wednesday Woking
===============
Warmup
Clean and Jerk: loads up to 80kg 1 clean and 2 jerks // new approach to sort out my jerks.
Snatch: loads of "triples" up to singles at 62.5kg with lots of fails. Coach Koing was in the house and gave me loads of feedback, changed my setup position again. Felt strong, but still failing lots of lifts.
Front Squats: 3x60kg, 3x90kg, 3x110kg, 3x115kg, 3x110kg // brutal! Coach Koing change my stance, heels wider apart toes more parallel so I got deeper. Really stretched out my hip flexors.
Lots of real stretches // Coach Koing complains us internet boys just type stretch but dont really do it properly.

Was hard session last night, woke up this morning wondering if I would be able to get out of bed my hips and lower back are so tight. Early stages of man flu symptoms are showing, crusty throat and slight snotty nose.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:55 pm

baldy wrote:
Mellos wrote:That one had me laugh :lol:

Yeah, had a chat with my coach about my new plan. Now that I am "certified" assistant coach he is keen for me to write my own program and then he works his magic on it.
So plan is to hit the main lifts (C&J, Snatch, Front Squats) then do pulls from the floor and behind the neck push press to work on my weaknesses. Mellos approved?

Mellos approved 8)

:mrgreen:
Current PBs:

Long Term Goals:

Mellos

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Man flu has stick its filthy little claws in, kind of explains my last couple of shitty sessions.
Went to the gym anyway just to warmup, stretch and chat to the guys.

Friday
=====
Warmup
Bench: 5xbar, 10x50kg, 3x7 70kg
Back Squat: 5xbar, 5x60kg, 3x5 100kg // felt heavy, dunno if its cos I am sick or just weak.
Pushup challenge with the coach 30 strict reps hips and chest to floor. Small satisfaction beating a 70 year old man.
Strict Press: 5x40kg, 1x70kg not so strict
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Sunday Guildford Rock Climbing
===================
Missed last week, so made big effort to see the boys and climb today
Transverse wall: 4+, 5 tried to follow someone on the 6b and fell off rather spectacularly
Top Rope: 3, 3+, 4, 4+, 5, 5 EASY!
Lead: 4, 4+, 5, 5+ overhang, got half way up clipped in climbed to next clip started to clip in then fell. Left hand couldn't hold so slipped and fell off the wall fairly big fall.

7 Days till I fly to ZA!
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Stressed kicked up a gear trying to get everything done before I go away on my holidays. Got a meeting with a Prof. on Wednesday for possible PhD talks, very fancy university, pretty nervous, need to get a haircut and buy some smart pants.

Woking Monday
============
Only three more sessions before I go back to ZA for a month. Not much point just smashing the weights up, so going to use this time to razor some solid technique.

Warmup
Snatch: 3x3 drops. 3x30kg hang 3x35kg, 3x40kh, 3x45kg, 3x50kg, 3x55kg // triple at 55kg is actually pretty solid and this is proper triple not my normal 1 minute between reps single
C&J: 3x3 bar, 3x50kg hang, 3x50kg, 3x70kg, 3x75kg. 3x80kg // 1 clean and three jerks. Smashing the jerks.
Jumps: 4x5 all over 110cm
Front Squats: 3x60kg, 3x80kg, 3x100kg, 3x110kg, 3x117.5kg // triple pb maybe?

Solid session, shoulder little sore probably from the rock climbing, will ice and foam roll.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rach » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Nice work on the comp Baldy! Have a good hol and hope the Phd meet went well.
Rach

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 am

Rach wrote:Nice work on the comp Baldy! Have a good hol and hope the Phd meet went well.

Thanks Rach, holiday is going to be with 10 other awesome vegans so bound to be amazing. Can't wait to see fredrikw and euphoric bungee jump!

PhD meeting went very well. Chatting to the people there really affirmed why I want to do an PhD and how boring my job is in comparison. The prof. gave me the feeling the PhD is pretty much in the bag, just need to get the admin and funding stuff sorted and we can start the fun stuff.

Got home late was think about a quick squat only session but figured 9 hours sleep would be the wiser option.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 am

Things are looking good for you! Great to get the good vibes at the interview. Also, the bungee jump alone is worth the trip :)
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Linnéa76 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Image Just a few more days now! Have you recovered from that man-flu yet?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:50 pm

kallefs wrote:Things are looking good for you! Great to get the good vibes at the interview. Also, the bungee jump alone is worth the trip :)

Picked up my sun tan lotion today with tan activation formula, it's going to be a very good trip.

Linnéa76 wrote:Image Just a few more days now! Have you recovered from that man-flu yet?

Man flu was conquered very easily, ready for the beach.

Friday Woking
=========
Quick session, pretty busy tying up loose ends before my trip back to ZA.
Warmup
front Squats: 5xbar, 5x60kg, 3x100kg, 3x105kg, 3x110kg, 3x115kg
Clean & 3 jerks: 40kg, 60kg, 70kg
Pullups: 7,4,4,2
boosh
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Baldy hits the beach in South Africa

Postby baldy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Tuesday Cape Town - Ready for the Beach WOD
====================================
Warmup
3 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 jumps over plastic garden chair, pushups (20,15,15)
Few more jumps on steps
4 pullups
Puffing like a buffalo.
baldy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs