Hemp tofu recipe

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hemp tofu recipe

Postby vegimator » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Someone found an old hemp tofu recipe I came up with and modified it to make it much less crumbly and firmer. Check it out if you want to reduce your soy intake -

http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2012 ... hemp-tofu/
vegimator

Re: Hemp tofu recipe

Postby vege » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:34 pm

i will give it a try!
i have no nigari though... can i use lemon juice? :?

PS: aren't omega-3 destroyed by cooking?
vege

Postby vegimator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Nigari is a coagulant. You can probably substitute a different coagulant like calcium hydroxide but I don't think lemon juice would work.

If you were just cooking hemp oil, yes the omega-3s would be destroyed and you'd be creating harmful byproducts. But using the whole hemp seed prevents that damage. Or at least I assume it does because the omega 3s in flax remain intact when cooked - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11879055

And the creation of tofu involves cooking beans, but tofu is a relatively decent source of omega 3s too.
vegimator

Postby vege » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:13 pm

hey, vegimator! i've just made one with lemon juice :D don't know if it supposed to be THAT crumbly, but it looks good for scrambled "eggs", etc. and i didn't even have tofu press, i just used kitchen cloth and my strong forearms :twisted:

Actually, i will try just to blend altogether after cooking, to get cottage cheese, with some garlic and dill, etc... Thank you for this idea, i have tons of hemp seeds in my freezer
vege

Postby vegimator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey, looks good! Like you said, good for scrambles or maybe burgers, meatballs, etc. I think I'm going to use my batch for some kind of burger.
vegimator

Postby Herbsman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:24 pm

that's rad!
Herbsman

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating