Glossop People's Kitchen - a cheap communal vegan meal

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Glossop People's Kitchen - a cheap communal vegan meal

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Although probably only 1-2 of you live within easy travelling distance of this, I'm mentioning it here in case it inspires others to run similar events in their local area. Also Google will pick it up :)

Glossop is a small town on the edge of the Peak District, half an hour by train from Manchester.

The idea is that people come together for an affordable, tasty, healthy and ethical communal meal. We're keeping it vegan and not-too-spicy, to be inclusive, and can cater for allergies and special requests with advance notice. There will always be gluten-free options.

When and where? The first one will be Monday 13th Feb at The Oakwood on High St West, Glossop, from 6.30 to 8.30pm. (We'll have the pub to ourselves as it is closed Mondays.) Food served from 6.30 until it runs out, so either get there on time or book via: peopleskitchenglossop#@gmail.com (remove #) or PM me to reserve portions and seats.

Cost? £2.50 for plate of food. Optional dessert is extra. Bottled drinks for sale (or bring your own).

We'll have live background music from Quiet Loner and Steve Roberts. If the event is a success, we'll consider running them monthly and publicising in the local press.
Hiking Fox

Re: Glossop People's Kitchen - a cheap communal vegan meal

Postby Rochellita » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Great little project, Hiking Fox, good luck with it.
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Good stuff. I can't come so can you post me some?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I asked the Post Office for a bag that would do a Greek platter and they looked at me funny, so I took that as a "no".

We've had around 50 people pre-book this and are starting to worry it might be very popular...
Hiking Fox

Postby loveliberate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 am

Awesome stuff Fox! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

We had 60 people book and turn up, plus a few extras who rolled up looking hungry and got squeezed in. I was pictured on the front page of the local paper today, with a feature where they quote me as saying how ethical and inclusive vegan food is :wink:
Hiking Fox

Postby Talyn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:We had 60 people book and turn up, plus a few extras who rolled up looking hungry and got squeezed in. I was pictured on the front page of the local paper today, with a feature where they quote me as saying how ethical and inclusive vegan food is :wink:

I had a google and saw that article. Well done and keep it up :)
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 am

Brilliant :D
mabli

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 am

We've now set up an info page on how to set up similar projects:

http://peopleskitchen.tumblr.com/peoples_kitchen
Hiking Fox

Return to Vegan activism and events