starting a veg*an facebook page/group for my area.. advice?

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: starting a veg*an facebook page/group for my area.. advi

Postby muchluv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks, But I can't seem to make the group without adding friends onto it?
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Big Good Wolf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 pm

I see what you mean now.
Yeah, I think you need to add at least one person who's already a friend to start with.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby skoptic » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Yup - I think that's right, I made another Facebook account (not my personal one) so that there was a kind of faceless 'admin' account that could post and could feed in the RSS news feed.

So if you do that you can 'friend' those 2 accounts (admin & personal) and then use them as the 2 needed to start. In our group people ask to join after that.

here's our running club
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2480945896/
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby muchluv » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 pm

yeh thats what I did then deleted one :D
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 am

Just an update that the People's Kitchen I mentioned is proving really popular, with 26 bookings already. Some of these are vegans who have just moved to the area and some are green activisty people who are interested in eating more vegan food. We haven't even publicised it much yet, so these are word-of-mouth bookings. I recommend this as a way to bring people together.

EDIT - Now up to 50 bookings!
Last edited by Hiking Fox on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiking Fox

Postby mabli » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 pm

put a link on the vegan soc page, and other such pages... do you have any vegan facebook friends? Once you get one you'll get more... put a link up here too :-)

edit: sorry only read first couple of posts... put link here though... actually maybe Ill start a new thread for this :-)
mabli

Postby muchluv » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Congrats Hiking Fox! :D

I'm having the problem of not being able to get my page to come up when I search. Annoying!
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby luke » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 am

It is a great way of meeting new people and turning others vegan. I started a Facebook page for my local area (Coventry) just over a year ago and we now have 44 FB members and others through the new website. We organise meals out, breakfast mornings, a weekly run, mountain and road biking days, hillwalking events, camping trips, drinking sessions, everything! I can honestly say that the last year has been the best of my life, some of the people I have met have become my best friends, and knowing that you are making it easier to help people to go vegan by having a support group available is just great. Good luck with it!
Food tastes better when it is foraged.
luke

Previous

Return to Vegan activism and events