Protein shake review thread

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Protein shake review thread

Postby powerlifer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:50 pm

baldy wrote:
powerlifer wrote:Can't find it in the UK anywhere most say currently unavailable, if not already with a UK supplier will mean after custom tax and importing probably be around the same price as Vega in the UK. Still good find though.

You should try source it!

Ill try get some samples and see if we can put them out on here, see what the reviews are like.

Although if after the costs of importing it is the same price as vega it would probably be pointless unless it was better ingredients and taste of course. Will look into it more later.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby vegimator » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:16 pm

I've had it before and it tasted decent for protein powder. I've never had vega so I can't make a direct comparison as far as that goes. It was of course better blended up with fruit than with water, but I could still get it down with just water.
vegimator

Postby Goob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm

powerlifer wrote:Firstly there is no caffeine in vega so that just isn't true. I also didn't say it was the superfood goodness, just that i feel much cleaner and more energetic starting my day with the wholefood optimizer over cereal/carbs such as oats.

Personally like i said the wholefood optimizer is more of a meal replacement rather than just a protein shake such as the soya you mentioned. The wholefood optimizer serves as a meal to me rather than just a protein shake, although it obviously doubles up as both. You start to mix 3 or 4 protein sources such as in the vega wholefood optimizer or the sport protein product and you'll see your price jack up(non-soy protein sources of course), then add in a 5g BCAA supp, 5 L-glutamine serving etc etc then it adds up, course its cheaper to just go with a standard soy or pea protein isolate and if thats what you want to do that is your choice. Hopefully one day they will bring the price down so that more people can enjoy there products.

Soy protein is cheap in bulk this can be a good thing or a bad thing, you have to remember that Soy is a common allergen for many so not everyone has the joys of being able to pick up 5 pounds of soy protein isolate at cheap prices. The next cheap option tends to always be pea protein isolate which tastes like crap in my opinion with standard unflavoured hemp protein not far behind unless you mix it in a fruit smoothie(which isn't always the most convient when im walking back from the gym). I could understand if the vega products just contained one protein such as hemp or pea with the flavourings and the extras, but they contain multiple plant protein sources that are non-soya so the price does add up. Start mixing yellow pea protein, hemp protein, organic brown rice protein and flax seed along with the other bits and pieces and you'll notice that your price has gone up substantially.

The vega products are well enjoyed by many vegans, myself included. Doesn't mean thats all i consume, i bulk my protein for the day out with cheaper sources also. I found the wholefood optimizer to be damn handy when i was transitioning to 100% vegan as often i would not have a clue what to eat, so a quick well rounded shake was pretty convient. Anyway there certainly not the only vegan protein/meal replacement on the market, your entitled to your opinion but it won't stop me from enjoying my daily vega shakes whether i continue to sell them in the future or not.

Anyway this thread has been derailed sorry, lets get back to the different plant based protein shakes.

I was pretty sure vega wfo contains yerba mate, which contains caffeine. I was wrong, it's the sports optimizer that has that, so could be the superfoods working their magic :roll: or placebo. I have consumed lots of vega when I was able to get the kilo tub for $30, and never felt "cleaner" unless I had just showered. But, only about 4% of people have any food allergy at all and those that are actually allergic to soy instead of just pretending to be are generally allergic to other legumes as well, such as peas. So, non-soy will only be beneficial to the very small percentage of people allergic to soy, but not other legumes that are also in the market for a non-dairy supplement.

Of the protein sources in vega, the most expensive is hemp, which cost $10 a lb, pea protein cost the same as soy, and rice is just a bit more at $5.59/lb, flax seeds as I said before are $1.85/lb. If you knew how much of each component to put in, you could order a custom mix from one of the bulk supplement websites and it could not cost more than 1/3 the price of vega, then add another 15 to 17 cents a day for a multivitamin and you are set. The ingredients that make vega so expensive are hype and unreasonable mark up because it is a niche market.

I don't care if you drink gallons of vega every day. But, I don't agree with you coming on here saying the same things I hear the vega sales reps say in the health food store, and pretending as if it is your personal unbiased review, then providing a link to your web store. You also reacted the same way as the sales reps when I said it is way overpriced.

I had forgot about the now foods vegan meal, it has the hempy stevia taste but a bit different. Anything like that is going to taste kind of weird because hemp and stevia have strong flavors that don't cover up easily. But, it is about half the price, so a better option, still drinkable with plain water and shows how much vega products are trying to rape peoples wallets.

Supplements must be outrageously expensive outside the states if vega doesn't stand out as so much more expensive than others. A guy I know from the gym only spent $350 for a 12 week anabolic cycle last year. 12 weeks of vega would cost me $345.24 at regular price if I only took it once a day and I wouldn't have anywhere near the gains he got. 900 grams of creatine monohydrate cost like $18 and lasted me all year, bcaa's are cheap too but I haven't taken them in forever so don't remember exact price for quantity.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby powerlifer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Goob wrote:I don't care if you drink gallons of vega every day. But, I don't agree with you coming on here saying the same things I hear the vega sales reps say in the health food store, and pretending as if it is your personal unbiased review, then providing a link to your web store. You also reacted the same way as the sales reps when I said it is way overpriced.

Then like i said delete my entries if it matters so much, i agreed that many of the vega products are expensive so i was hardly acting like any sales rep, but i really like the product so im not going to sit back at the same time when others are slating it, especially with comparable price by price foods. If you don't want reviews from people who sell things then just say, makes no difference to me. Saying in my past post that i hope it comes down in price so more people can enjoy it is hardly reacting to your view its overpriced. I agree it is, but it is what it is and importing these tubs into the UK is anything but cheap, especially due to their weight. If they were produced here we could probably offer them cheaper.

Chill out, i haven't pretended it was an unbiased review, it is my truthful opinion, i don't sell products i don't believe in. I have also recommended cheaper stores for products to others on here, so don't judge me just because i submitted a review of a protein i like and sell, as well as give out over £100 worth of products free to members in competitions from my own pocket. I have said the downsides of products i sell and don't sell numerous times on here so not sure where you gather the above view. Anyway this is off topic.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
powerlifer

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

powerlifer wrote:Then like i said delete my entries if it matters so much, i agreed that many of the vega products are expensive so i was hardly acting like any sales rep, but i really like the product so im not going to sit back at the same time when others are slating it, especially with comparable price by price foods.

Yeah, I think powerlifer makes a solid point and his contribution to this thread defiantly adds value. The answer is really to get reviews from people that won the prizes, we should start hassling them for there opinions. More reviews not less!

End of the day we want as big a list of protein powder that are vegan as possible, so if someone says "What protein shakes can I get that are vegan", we can say click here. Of course any crazy claims should be questioned and I am very confident that they will be. Case in point the references to studies for sunwarrior.

I also still think Vega is over priced :twisted:
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 am

On a different note does anyone know how much creatine there is per serving in the Ignite Ultra-V, i have some on the way to try and am looking forward to giving it a bash. Heres hoping the serving is enough for me to be able to ditch my creatine mono supp.
powerlifer

Postby Talyn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am

powerlifer wrote:On a different note does anyone know how much creatine there is per serving in the Ignite Ultra-V, i have some on the way to try and am looking forward to giving it a bash. Heres hoping the serving is enough for me to be able to ditch my creatine mono supp.

It's listed as 8.3%. That works out to be 5g of creatine per serving size of 60g. Which is pretty much the recommended daily intake, so it would be sufficient to replace the seperate creatine supp.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby powerlifer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am

Talyn wrote:
powerlifer wrote:On a different note does anyone know how much creatine there is per serving in the Ignite Ultra-V, i have some on the way to try and am looking forward to giving it a bash. Heres hoping the serving is enough for me to be able to ditch my creatine mono supp.

It's listed as 8.3%. That works out to be 5g of creatine per serving size of 60g. Which is pretty much the recommended daily intake, so it would be sufficient to replace the seperate creatine supp.

Sweet, pretty decent having beta-alanine in there also. Have noticed good gains with both creatine and beta-alanine in regards to strength.
powerlifer

Postby Trexpar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I found this protein powder while in Australia.

Name: Vital Protein pea protein isolate
Taste: Natural- not chalky, tastes like ground peas. Chocolate- also not chalky, lightly sweet and pretty good, the powder smells like chocolate cake mix.
Protein Grams per serving: natural- 22g/serving, Chocolate- 20.5g/serving
Cost per serving: 1.99/ serving (based on a 500g tub)
Comments: I really don't have problem with the pea taste. This stuff mixes up really easily with just a spoon and some water, I don't blend it, and it goes down really easy. Unlike other powders I've tried, this doesn't have a super chalky taste and the natural when mixed with water just tastes like water with a bit of pea in it. The chocolate flavor is not a super sweet chocolate milkshake kinda thing, just slightly sweet and a good mix up from taking the natural all the time.
Trexpar

Postby muchluv » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Trexpar wrote:I found this protein powder while in Australia.

Name: Vital Protein pea protein isolate
Taste: Natural- not chalky, tastes like ground peas. Chocolate- also not chalky, lightly sweet and pretty good, the powder smells like chocolate cake mix.
Protein Grams per serving: natural- 22g/serving, Chocolate- 20.5g/serving
Cost per serving: 1.99/ serving (based on a 500g tub)
Comments: I really don't have problem with the pea taste. This stuff mixes up really easily with just a spoon and some water, I don't blend it, and it goes down really easy. Unlike other powders I've tried, this doesn't have a super chalky taste and the natural when mixed with water just tastes like water with a bit of pea in it. The chocolate flavor is not a super sweet chocolate milkshake kinda thing, just slightly sweet and a good mix up from taking the natural all the time.

thanks!
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Wow Ignite Ultra-V Mint Choc is probably easily the best tasting plant based protein product on the market. Even beats any of the Soy protein shakes i have tried.

Will be trying to get these in. Does anyone know if there other flavours are good ?.

Tastes like after eights. 60g of protein per serving.
powerlifer

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm

powerlifer wrote:Tastes like after eights. 60g of protein per serving.

Yeah its tasty :)
How did you get 60g of protein, use a bigger scoop?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

baldy wrote:
powerlifer wrote:Tastes like after eights. 60g of protein per serving.

Yeah its tasty :)
How did you get 60g of protein, use a bigger scoop?

Oops its 40g of protein per serving i think, which is good for a vegan shake.

It seems to sit in my stomach a little longer than vega or sunwarrior probably due to the oats, i don't digest oats well.

Getting the tingles in my hands from the beta-alanine so there must be a decent dose of that in there also.
powerlifer

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm

powerlifer wrote:Getting the tingles in my hands from the beta-alanine so there must be a decent dose of that in there also.

Did the Maca give you tingles anywhere? :wink:
baldy
Site Admin

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 pm

baldy wrote:
powerlifer wrote:Getting the tingles in my hands from the beta-alanine so there must be a decent dose of that in there also.

Did the Maca give you tingles anywhere? :wink:

Haha sadly not :lol:

Running a free competition over on our amla facebook for a free vega wholefood optimizer or vega sport protein, all you need to do is be on our friend list and reply with your name. Amla Facebook
powerlifer

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements