Best Source Of Antioxidants Per Dollar

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Best Source Of Antioxidants Per Dollar

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 am

I think this may be slightly out of date with new foods brought to Dr. Greger's attention, but it is still useful and interesting. This video rates foods by the amount of antioxidant you get per dollar spent.

From here

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Best Source Of Antioxidants Per Dollar

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 am

An interesting take on antioxidants
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22060178
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby israel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:49 am

I am not sure now how good are all the antioxidants- the foods they are in are healthy non the less

but if you go for antioxidants - i think red beans is a good choice they have tons of antioxidants and how much cabbge can you eat ?

cinnamon is not healthy in large amounts - but oregano is ok and if im right he is very close to the cinnamons antioxidants value
israel

Postby kathyjoyce » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Blueberries are considered a superfood and have a very high content of antioxidants. However I was interested to see in the video that red cabbage has a high level of antioxidants. It's so easy to add to stir fries, and adds crunch to salads if eaten raw.
kathyjoyce

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 pm

fredrikw wrote:An interesting take on antioxidants
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22060178

Good article, but I would argue that it attacks a different issue. "....a growing body of evidence indicates detrimental effects of antioxidant supplementation on the health and performance benefits of exercise training." I think we can all agree that antioxidant SUPPLEMENTS are worthless, but I would love to see that study done with a 'high antioxidant' diet versus a 'low antioxidant' diet versus a 'normal' diet.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby powerlifer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:00 pm

We have to remember theres miles of difference between synthetic vitamin/antioxidant supplements and wholefood/food when it comes to antioxidants, obviously you can take too much of those too and cause a pro-oxidant effect.

Interesting about the red cabbage, i will be making some coleslaws soon :).
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:05 pm

I agree. Dr. Greger's videos never recommend using supplements outside of vitamins d and b-12. He is telling people to drink tea, herbal infusions and use dried fruit.

beforewisdom

Postby israel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Does the pro-oxidant effect mean that because you take to many antioxidants your body compensates and trys to oxidise more - and because supplments are more concentrated they can cause that unlike food that is less concentated - cause if so than if you eat to much blueberries and cinnamon you might get the same affect ?
israel

Postby israel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Im trying to get lots of antioxident to see if it helps acne i belive it did help me - but i stoped because i went to the bathroom a lot

what are some good ways to get antioxidants without getting to much fiber ? i mean get a big amount of antioxidants - berris are expensive here in israel but everything else is ok - so any suggestions ?

teas have no fiber but they dont have as much antioxidents - right ?
israel

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Tea is a good source of antioxidants, rooibos is my favorite because it is caffeine free and low in tannins.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
powerlifer

Postby israel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 pm

it is said its good for acne also but isnt it affecting the hormones ? like astrogene something ?

and i think its much less antioxidant than solids - right ?
israel

Postby powerlifer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 pm

israel wrote:it is said its good for acne also but isnt it affecting the hormones ? like astrogene something ?

and i think its much less antioxidant than solids - right ?

I take it you mean estrogen, if so all plant foods contain phyto-estrogens and they are beneficial to hormonal balance.

Tea is a good source of antioxidants per weight, rooibos is like 700-1500 ORAC per cup if i remember. You want to get a scope of different antioxidants as they all have their own unique benefits. Getting a variety of different coloured fruit and vegetables is a good start.
powerlifer

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:52 pm

israel, I'm not an expert, but if you have bad acne, are eating a vegan diet and are keeping oily/fatty foods to a minimum I think your best course is to go see a dermatologist.

beforewisdom

Postby israel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm

I ate a big salad everyday and i still had pimples

than i ate only antioxidant rich foods - lots of spinach and red beans even dark chocolate and oranges ect...

and a few days after i stopped suddenly all of my acne was gone ! it probobly took some time to work -

but it made me go to the bathroom - so i stopped

i usually eat a salad each day and it ok - so i guess its the amount of antioxidants that helped

i wwent to a dermatolgoist - i went to three - they all gave me accutane and i dont want to try it
israel

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating