Porn = not vegan

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby Talyn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

RBE.VeganZeitgeist: I'm curious, did you use to post here a couple of years ago, under a different handle?
Talyn
User Activation Admin
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Brentwood, UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby ninearms » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Image
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
User avatar
ninearms
Perked Member
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 pm

RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:rodolfo- don't ask others to provide data if you are not prepared to offer it yourself-
xrodolfox wrote:If you did the research, you'd find that the data does't support your hypothesis.


so you haven't got this data you talked about earlier..


Jeez.

You are the one the needs to provide data because your points are the ones that are absurd.
The data that you *do* provide isn't disputed; it is the spurious assumptions your draw from your data.

This isn't a pissing contest.

This is about logic and conclusions. You seem combative, so I figured I might as well be straight with you and be a condescending prick rather than beat around the bush. I might have to try something different if this doesn't work, but me being a jerk seems to be working. :? You at least are getting a bit deeper than "some females I talked to".

This exchange in particular, is horribly sloppy and lacking in logic and experience:
RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:
RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:Or it could be a case of that as Women get older they have less desire to partake in Pornography-not neccessarily a monetary factor.

There is no way you think that is true, do you?

Yeah. I do. Do you think someone is more likely to want to be captured on film when they are in their prime or when they have passed looking their best ?


Every single autobiography about porn says that the mainstream industry pressures stars to have plastic surgery, and that scenes were not at all about their pleasure, but rather about making a movie. Every single autobiography or article mentions that mainstream actors (not amateurs) all do porn for the money, and would do something different, like stripping, if there was no money in porn. In fact, those actors all leave porn when they no longer can command the paychecks they could in their youth. It's all about MONEY MONEY MONEY. Not at all about self-confidence or what porn actors look like.

The quote also betrays your own ageism: as people find themselves attractive at all stages of their lives, not just when they are young.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
User avatar
xrodolfox
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby mabli » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 am

RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:
RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:Or it could be a case of that as Women get older they have less desire to partake in Pornography-not neccessarily a monetary factor.


There is no way you think that is true, do you?


Yeah. I do. Do you think someone is more likely to want to be captured on film when they are in their prime or when they have passed looking their best ?
:evil:
mabli
Active Member
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby mabli » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am

Not sure if anybody mentioned the proliferation of plastic surgery in porn and how that affects how people feel about their bodies... seems there’s a homogenous mutilated vagina that looks the same on each woman bar the pubic haircut... and boobs are ridiculous... those women have the right to do whatever they want to themselves but women are increasingly feeling inadequate so we have an industry dishing out vaginoplasty, hymenoplasty, labiaplasty, buttock augmentation, boob jobs etc to the masses!!! Unbelievable but women are putting their entire sex life at risk just so they have a vagina that looks like some Barbie porn star’s

If porn was about watching people who actually wanted to fuck each other and who hadn’t mutilated their bodies then Id be happy enough as it is Id rather spend my time actually having sex or using my imagination than watch plastic people shag who don’t look like they’re actually enjoying it...
mabli
Active Member
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm

................................
Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:50 pm

....................................
Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

...............................
Last edited by RBE.VeganZeitgeist on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Manchester UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 pm

RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:
RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:In that case if your point isn't to be regarded as 'sloppy' or BS- you show us some more of this 'empiracle data' you refer too.Otherwise one might come accross as being a tad condascending and patronising wouldn't you say? And which specific point I've made lacks 'logic'?


Yes. I came off as condescending. It was likely because I was condescending.

I stated things that seem obvious. You stated things that need some backing up. If you don't think the sky is blue, well, you are the one who is going to have to provide the data.

Your arguing is sloppy. It's not just this thread. The fact that you cited "females you've talked to" seems absolutely absurd.

I study labor.

One of the facts about labor in a market economy is that people are regularly compelled to do many things against their will. Do you think boxers enjoy getting hurt? Or that garbage people all love picking up garbage? Or that actors got into acting because they are pretty? Porn actors are like other people: Surely some got into it because they have a high sex drive, or are exhibitionists, or a myriad of other assumptions that you are making (source: your posts). However, most porn actors "fell" into the work rather than sought it out. Not high sex drive. Not due to enjoying sex more than most. Not exhibitionism. Not many assumptions you are making. There are exceptions (christie canyon, for example), but most actors have had a totally different experience (Nina Hartley, Traci Lords, Linda Lovelace, Marilyn Chambers... and those are examples just from the 1980s'). Those examples are because they've got autobiographies or other interviews published well after their careers ended (and thus are more immune to industry backlash).

Meanwhile, you've "talked to females" and then made broad generalizations about pay inequality in the porn industry. That's sloppy. And yes, I'll be condescending until you use proper logic. Hopefully, that won't take too long. I prefer not to be a jerk.


So you quoting books that were written around 30 years ago constitutes 'data'. Things change- and some Women are obviously taking control as the articles suggest -. As for 'broad generalizations' regarding pay inequality I've given links that show this to be the case-
Are just continuing to be a jerk or is this your idea of 'logic'. ? Your whole 'thesis' is based on generalisations- no 'data' whatsoever.
Glad to see you are admitting to being condascending. And just because 'you' keep repeating something time and time again doesn't mean its neccessarily the case-it just proves you feel the accuracy of your point needs to be rammed home again-if it was accurate it wouldn't need to be repeated.


Hehe.
Those autobiographies were written in the last 10 years, but their authors were in their "prime" in the 1980's. Some still work in the industry today (Nina Hartley, for example, who does some awesome activism within the porn community).

The porn industry is governed by the same economic factors that workers face everywhere. Your thesis are based on absurd logic and a myriad of fallacies.

You were talking about amateur porn then? That's not what the thread was about. I don't think that most arguments here had anything to do with amateur porn, since private people releasing their private sex acts to the public, especially when not for profit, is something that doesn't have to do with the market system. IF YOU HAD READ THE THREAD, you'd have known that.

Again: another logical fallacy you engage in: straw man argument. And you don't even do it well.

I keep repeating my point because you don't seem to get it or respond to it while you are alone in your fallacious arguments and statements with no basis to the rest of the thread.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
User avatar
xrodolfox
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby Talyn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

RBE.VeganZeitgeist wrote:
Talyn wrote:RBE.VeganZeitgeist: I'm curious, did you use to post here a couple of years ago, under a different handle?


no. found out about this site last year.


Oh I'm sorry, it's just your unique style of trolling reminded me of times gone past.




























Image
Talyn
User Activation Admin
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: Brentwood, UK

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm

No offense to zeitgiest............but LOL :)

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom
Active Member
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:33 am

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 pm

beforewisdom wrote:No offense to zeitgiest............but LOL :)


Seems offensive
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse
Active Member
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:07 am
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby mabli » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 am

Image
cake porn can be vegan...
mabli
Active Member
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby JP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 am

boys, could you agree to disagree because it sounds like a pot shot comp now rather than discussion :)
User avatar
JP
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19250
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Porn = not vegan

Postby RBE.VeganZeitgeist » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am

I'm going to go. sorry if i've caused offence. i'm used to posting on Facebook and Tumblr. Things seem a bit different here-If you have had lots of spammers and things I can see why people think I am trying to sell drinks or videos or something by the stuff thats been said on other topics and that. I will take it down and again sorry for any problems I've caused.
RBE.VeganZeitgeist
Member
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Manchester UK

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest