Amla versus Diabetes

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Amla versus Diabetes

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:01 am

An Indian berry is found to reduce blood sugar as well as diabetes drugs, for a fraction of the cost and with no side effects.

The written version

Last edited by beforewisdom on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Re: Amla versus Diabetes

Postby skoptic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 am

Shhhh .. don't tell Novo Nordisk ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Konstantin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 am

Interesting!!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby powerlifer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Good post and what i named my store after lol.

Amla is a great herb and studies have shown that the vitamin C it contains is 12 times as potent as synthetic vitamin C. Has other benefits such as increasing SOD and protecting the liver.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 pm

I just took my first teaspoon this morning with my cereal. What is SOD? LOL! :)
I hope it doesn't show at work if my spoon of Amla increases it.

The amla powder was pleasantly sour. I could see talented cooks making some interesting things with it. Um, I'll probably keep stirring it into cereal :)

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby powerlifer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 pm

I am still of the opinion the best time to take most herbs is at least 25 minutes before meals, this stops any of the nutrients in food blocking the compounds/nutrients from herbs being absorbed.

SOD is Super Oxide Dismutase which acts as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and much more.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby LMM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am

Interesting report of a study/studies

Irresponsible and dangerous voiceover though. The conclusion: (from memory) 'Am I recommending you treat your diabetes ... no, I'm recommending you cure your diabetes with a plant-based diet. Why treat anything when you can reverse it?'

Diabetes is not curable and cannot be reversed.

A diabetic whose blood glucose returns to normal levels as a result of dietary changes is controlling the diabetes, s/he has not cured/reversed it
LMM

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:24 pm

LMM wrote:Diabetes is not curable and cannot be reversed.

A diabetic whose blood glucose returns to normal levels as a result of dietary changes is controlling the diabetes, s/he has not cured/reversed it

Right and wrong. Diabetes itself is not curable/reversible, but all of the symptoms are curable/reversible. So you can have diabetes and take drugs and worry all day about your blood sugar, or you can have diabetes and choose a lifestyle where you don't need those things....
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby LMM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote: Diabetes itself is not curable/reversible, but all of the symptoms are curable/reversible. So you can have diabetes and take drugs and worry all day about your blood sugar, or you can have diabetes and choose a lifestyle where you don't need those things....

That is not cure or reversal, that is control. In short, treatment. Take your eye off the ball and you'll soon know your symptoms haven#t been reversed. The voiceover on this ad says why treat your diabetes when you can cure/reverse it.

The overwhelming majority of type 2 diabetics control (treat) their condition through diet not drugs; diet control and exercise are what is recommended/prescribed by your everyday run of the mill GP for type 2. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and insulin is essential. It is inexcusable to suggest to a type 1 diabetic that their condition can be cured by berries or anything else.
LMM

Postby happy bunny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 pm

my soul mate works very hard to control his diabetes (genetic rather than lifestyle - there are more than two types of diabetes, so far eleven have been classified and they're still counting..!) through exercise and diet. We've both found that the key is not to expect someone or something to miraculously 'cure' him. Fortunately the lifestyle and diet changes were pretty easy, it was the routine that was tough to adapt to although we've since discovered that, apart from the amounts, it's the sort of 'regime' followed by serious athletes! little and often is the key and don't get pissed off by those who bleat but do nothing to help themselves - the stress is counter productive! In the meantime, we're both getting fitter, cycling even more and have learned absolute bucket loads about nutrition (helps having a brilliant nutritionist who understands veganism!).

There are many foodstuffs out there which help reduce blood glucose levels and many originate from India (eg. bitter gourds, cinnamon - a genetic predisposition to diabetes may be a contributing factor to this) so including them as a part of your diet can only be a good thing (as part of a balanced diet, of course!), and those with weight related type two diabetes can control this disease through doing their research and being willing to change a lifetime of poor diet and sedentary lifestyle - it's a tough call!
So hum
happy bunny

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating