vegetarians who eat eggs...

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

vegetarians who eat eggs...

Postby JP » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 am

Just show them this picture:

facebook page for the pic:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... e=1&ref=nf

...pretty powerful image of male chicklets being disgarded because they are of no use for the egg industry - free range, organic, etc all the same.
JP
Site Admin

Re: vegetarians who eat eggs...

Postby Konstantin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:03 am

Fucking disgusting.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby israel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 pm

wow this is a good picture and a good idea
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Postby vegan hal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 pm

no arguments here....
vegan hal

Postby HumanGazelle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 pm

That is shocking and evil.

That picture is one of the strongest but there is a full album here including many other distressing pictures of egg production:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.131681616932010.18523.131369396963232&type=1

I don't know if these pictures are all pertinent to any one country's egg industry or not, but the lengthy comment below gives a further description of the treatment of male chicks in the US egg industry.
HumanGazelle

Postby JP » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:06 am

another picture:

JP
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:18 am

Could we have some sort of warning in the title of these sort of threads? I don't eat eggs and would rather not be (extremely unpleasantly) surprised by such pictures? I would really appreciate it :D

That or we tell people somewhere to expect some ugly pictures on the Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs board and change the thing at the top to 'read before reading or posting.'

The first is quite easy and doesn't infringe on anyone's free speech. You could just put (warning:ugly pictures) at the end of the title.

edited to say: I was aware of this practice with the male chicks before i came to the thread
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:Could we have some sort of warning in the title of these sort of threads?

+1 from me
JS

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 pm

I have encountered 2 situations with trying to talk vegetarians into stop

1. People who became vegetarians because they were extreme animal lovers:
- Easy vegan converts.

2. People with an introspective bent who became vegetarian as the result of philosophical arguments
Resistance, some offense. This *group*, *tends* to take pride in a teen weeny bit of moral/political superiority. They do NOT
like being made aware of things that make them realize they are not perfectly living up to their own standards. Other people from this group can sometimes have a strong "I am already doing this" reaction, "I gave at the office, that is enough" attitude.

3. Health enthusiasts and vegetarians for the environment ( small group )
A relaxed open minded attitude about eating a more vegan diet, but no sense of urgency to scale back more on animal products than they already are.

4. People born into vegetarianism as a result of religion
People in this *group* usually seem to be genuinely stunned/confused as to why people would want to take things further. Often they will quote their texts. This group often tends to have an affection for dairy products the way Westerners have an affection for beef.

IMHO, I think one of the easiest ways to get more vegans would be to target animal lovers.....dog and cat enthusiasts, by hosting events that they find useful ( dog training, teaching cats how to walk on leashes ), providing vegan treats, pro-vegan literature and being low key about each.

I have to get more involved in volunteering again and convince some of my local groups with resources to try that out.
Last edited by beforewisdom on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby skoptic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 pm

That is SO dark...
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby JP » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:18 pm

beforewisdom wrote:4. People born into vegetarianism as a result of religion
People in this *group* usually seem to be genuinely stunned/confused as to why people would want to take things further. Often they will quote their texts. This group often tends to have an affection for dairy products the way Westerners have an affection for beef.

agree but with one exception: Jain religion.

Those guys took in the vegan message with so much enthusiasm!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:26 pm

beforewisdom wrote:I have encountered 2 situations with trying to talk vegetarians into stop

1. People who became vegetarians because they were extreme animal lovers:
- Easy vegan converts.

2. People with an introspective bent who became vegetarian as the result of philosophical arguments
Resistance, some offense. This *group*, *tends* to take pride in a teen weeny bit of moral/political superiority. They do NOT
like being made aware of things that make them realize they are not perfectly living up to their own standards. Other people from this group can sometimes have a strong "I am already doing this" reaction, "I gave at the office, that is enough" attitude.

3. Health enthusiasts and vegetarians for the environment ( small group )
A relaxed attitude, but no sense of urgency to scale back more on animal products than they already are.

4. People born into vegetarianism as a result of religion

IMHO, I think one of the easiest ways to get more vegans would be to target animal lovers.....dog and cat enthusiasts, by hosting events that they find useful ( dog training, teaching cats how to walk on leashes ), providing vegan treats, pro-vegan literature and being low key about each.

I have to get more involved in volunteering again and convince some of my local groups with resources to try that out.

That's got me thinking, I reckon it's pretty accurate. I think that environmental people in [3] want us all to eat a little bit of meat and don't accept that the best way of bringing down the average is to make their own zero. They also often want to differentiate themselves from animal people, who are more likelt to be vegan, and I think there's a subconcious feeling that not being vegan helps make that differentiation.

Or maybe I'm over analysing it?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm

JP wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:4. People born into vegetarianism as a result of religion

agree but with one exception: Jain religion.

Those guys took in the vegan message with so much enthusiasm!

Awesome! The only Jain I ever met was already vegan.

That seems to make sense with my impression of Hinduism versus Jainism. The former ( please correct me if I am wrong ) are vegetarians just because it is a religious law and that is the end of that. For Jains, the religious law is less about what they don't eat, "just because" and more about why they don't eat it.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby israel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:44 pm

That is so true - thats why i allways wonder is it good to stop dog fur trade , and tests on dogs for instance because it brings more people aware of cow , rat , chicken abuse - i myself am in to this all because i love dogs and not so sure if i wouldnt have seen youtube videos of dogs in labs - would care much about the rats in labs ect..

anyway yes i think it is very smart to target dog and cat lovers - and to connect dogs in labs and other animal abuse types
israel

Postby skoptic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, sharing that link on facecrack made a few of my friends go 'oh my god, that's terrible, I'll share!'

They then shared it on the crack saying 'buy free range!!' - I pointed out that it wasn't about that, but general egg consumption, and suddenly their despair at such a situation was diminished (basically when they actually had to DO something about it)

f*ckers ;)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Next

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs