The Downfall Of Popular Diets: Support

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

The Downfall Of Popular Diets: Support

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Every few years a new popular diet comes out. Sometimes the same one, the way fashion recycles itself. Often popular diets are based around a magic rule that if you avoid food group X or at least severely control it you will get slimmer, healtier.

The magic trick diet (atkins, paleo, raw vegan diets ) usually works, at first, because people end up cutting out all sorts of junk and end up taking in fewer calories.

The end of these diets come about from several factors. I think one of them is business support. Businesses start producing products that technically fit "the magic rule", but reintroduce calories.

There were fat free foods that injected calories back in by substituting in sweeteners. There is a plethora of atkins/low carb snacks now. If you live near a co-op in an urban area.......and you can afford the draconian prices there are all sorts of raw vegan snacks like raw chocolate, energy cubes, etc.
beforewisdom

Re: The Downfall Of Popular Diets: Support

Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

What's the goal of the thread? To have a comprehensive sticky that gives clear, concise information for how to lose weight and be healthy? Good luck!

I will start us off.

1. Eat fewer calories than you expend to lose weight
2. Get your heart rate up daily
3. Eat as close to 100% of your diet from whole foods as you can
4. Sleep for as long as you feel tired
5. Drink enough water to make your urine slightly yellow
6. Laugh
7. Love and spend time with your friends and family
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby xaviervega » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm

You said it Fallen_Horse. Took me a long time to realize the things you listed, on my own.
Last edited by xaviervega on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The purpose of improving your health is not to add more years to your life, but to add more life to your years."

Been Eating One Meal Per Day For -> 6 Months
xaviervega

Postby JP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 pm

wisdom, not only that, but also on individual level people get more used to it, learn to cook stuff according to the bullshit rules and so on, and hey presto, you are nailing the same calories than before :D

...hey the same happens when people go vegan too :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 pm

[quote="JP"]wisdom, not only that, but also on individual level people get more used to it, learn to cook stuff according to the bullshit rules and so on, and hey presto, you are nailing the same calories than before :D

...hey the same happens when people go vegan too :lol:

Exactly the point I was trying to make.
beforewisdom

Postby powerlifer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I think the main reason why many popular diets fail is that they are not healthy for the longterm. Fad diets often consist around low levels of one or even two macronutrients such as low fat, low carbohydrates, applying these principles to the average diet usually results in instant weight loss from lower overall caloric intake, but long term i really don't see low or excessively high macronutrient diets to be healthy.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating