Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Postby patvirt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:17 am

Not sure if there has been a thread about this already.
Watched it last night, it's on cable in AUS.

Was really interesting. Goes to show how ignorant people can be about things. I would never take steroids but that's a belief that I want to have natural strength.
My fav person in the movie was the father of the kid who died, dude was a weirdo.
Melbourne Vegan Strength.
patvirt

Postby JP » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 am

yeah there has been couple of threads:

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15233

and another one i cant find now :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby patvirt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 am

I searched and nothing came up.
Maybe I'm just bad a searching haha.
Melbourne Vegan Strength.
patvirt

Re: Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Postby sosso » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 am

Just bumping this up because I watched it last night.

And a deleted scene

sosso

Postby Orkje » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Call me naive, but I was shocked to hear and see Louie Simmons' reaction to steroid use in this documentary. Maybe I'm misinterpreting things, but his idea seems to be: "You train better, harder and more often when using them, which in turn will lead to better results, so they're necessary if you want to be the best."

In short, he didn't even display any disapproval regarding steroids. It was honest, but it did rankle me.
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Orkje wrote:In short, he didn't even display any disapproval regarding steroids. It was honest, but it did rankle me.

That pretty much sums up untested powerlifting. It also should raise questions about following training programs that are intended for people on PED.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm

It made me curios about how much they tend to take. The sites I googled were suggesting 4-12 times a standard dose a doctor would prescribe for low levels of testosterone. Assuming they start with average levels then they must end up ridiculously high. I still can’t get my head round wanting to do that even after watching the film. I can get the urge to take some but even 4x what they label says is just something else.
blinki

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:27 pm

blinki wrote:It made me curios about how much they tend to take. The sites I googled were suggesting 4-12 times a standard dose a doctor would prescribe for low levels of testosterone. Assuming they start with average levels then they must end up ridiculously high. I still can’t get my head round wanting to do that even after watching the film. I can get the urge to take some but even 4x what they label says is just something else.

From my understanding it doesn't work like that, you start off with a relatively small dose and get good results. So then you double the dose and only see one and half level of improvement. So the gains are exponential rather than linear.

The dosage on the label isn't really a relevant issue as it is intended for a totally different thing. It's like saying its crazy to take a 300mg aspirin for a headache compared to 80mg aspirin to lower the risk of heart attack. Same drug different dosage for different things.

I think this video from Dave Tate helps balance the view of the real effect PEDs have.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 pm

blinki wrote:me curios about how much ... to take. The sites I googled .... for low levels of testosterone.

Your training log will now be monitored very closely for any suspicious improvements! :wink:
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Orkje » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

It also should raise questions about following training programs that are intended for people on PED.

Good point. Unwittingly using those programs might lead to injuries for people who play the game fairly.
Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back. - Henry Rollins
Orkje

Postby xJimx » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Orkje wrote:Good point. Unwittingly using those programs might lead to injuries for people who play the game fairly.

I don't think fairness really comes into it. If you're going to compete in an untested strength/bodybuilding contest of any type then it's obvious you'll be going up against folk using gear. You either accept that or move to a different federation.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Orkje » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't think fairness really comes into it. If you're going to compete in an untested strength/bodybuilding contest of any type then it's obvious you'll be going up against folk using gear. You either accept that or move to a different federation.

Fair enough (no pun intended). To each his own :wink:
Orkje

Postby Talyn » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:39 pm

xJimx wrote:I don't think fairness really comes into it. If you're going to compete in an untested strength/bodybuilding contest of any type then it's obvious you'll be going up against folk using gear. You either accept that or move to a different federation.

Unfortunately, even 'tested' feds like IPF, BDFPA, etc require you only to have been 'clean' for 3-6 months prior to the time you are competing. Before that time you can be up to your eyeballs in gear and as long as you cut it off in time, you can compete in tested, drugfree federations.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby blinki » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm

baldy wrote:
blinki wrote:me curios about how much ... to take. The sites I googled .... for low levels of testosterone.

Your training log will now be monitored very closely for any suspicious improvements! :wink:

I'm not one for jumping off the deep end. I'll need to get myself started on protien powder and take it from there :p
blinki

Postby baldy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 pm

blinki wrote:
baldy wrote:

I'm not one for jumping off the deep end. I'll need to get myself started on protien powder and take it from there :p

Creatine is a known gateway to harder PEDs :)
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Power and Strength