FormicaL's derby improvement log

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

FormicaL's derby improvement log

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 pm

I've been maintaining a log over at VBBF and thought I'd post over here, too. I'll start with the long post I wrote about my goals.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Re: FormicaL's derby improvement log

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:53 pm

(Originally written on 19 Dec 2011--though modified schedule below to fit changes I've made.)

Here's some background info on me.

My main activity is roller derby. Right now, just about everything else I do is aimed at helping me improve at roller derby. I've been doing derby for a while--March 2012 will be my 5-year anniversary of skating. When I started I could barely skate! My league has improved rapidly. When I started it was quite new and lots of other people could barely skate. We are now full members of WFTDA. Last year we went to WFTDA East Regional Playoffs for the first time and did quite well.

The league has four intra-league/home teams that play each other regularly. I'm captain of my home team. And we have two travel teams that play other leagues. One is our A team, and that's the one that plays in sanctioned bouts and went to Playoffs. It's made up of the top 20 skaters in the league, though a game can have only 14 skaters on its roster, so within the 20 there's competition to be in the top 14 in order get on game rosters. Then there is our B team, which is our "reserves" team. That team plays other leagues in Europe, as our league is quite a bit stronger than other leagues in Europe at the moment. So games are closer when other leagues' A teams play our B team.

I've provided all this boring background to explain my goals. I am currently on the A team. I generally get put on game rosters, so I'm ranked somewhere in the 13-16 range. But in tough games (and they are almost all tough these days) even people who are on the roster but aren't among the strongest players don't get played much. I guess this is pretty standard in sports. Basically, I tend to get on rosters but am not a starter, so can spend most or all of the game on the bench.

I want this to change. First, I need to ensure that I remain in the top 14 so I get on game rosters. It's really competitive, so this is far from guaranteed. I have to work hard just to hold onto that spot. But what I really want is to improve enough that I get on game rosters and actually get played. We have important games in April, maybe in June, and then Regionals will be in Sept. I want to play in these.

There's no mystery about what I need to do. I need to be fitter, stronger, more agile, and smarter on the track. This means I need to go to practice as much as possible. I also need to do exercise outside of practices. We have 3-4 practices per week. My attendance is generally around 60-65%, which means on average I get to 8 practices a month. I'm going to aim to get my attendance to 80% per month.

The other exercise I do is to ride my bike to work and sometimes to practice. It's a short ride to work, so it's not too taxing to cycle and I will usually be doing other exercise as well on the same day. I aim to do this 3-4 times a week (I work at home one day a week). I aim to lift weights twice a week. And I want to start doing plyo once a week.

So that makes my ideal exercise schedule look like this:
Monday: cycle (8mi), lift weights
Tuesday: cycle (13mi), derby practice (2 hrs)
Wednesday: cycle (8mi), plyo
Thursday: derby practice (1.5 hrs)
Friday: rest (though might cycle to work, and around once per month have derby practice 2 hrs)
Saturday: lift weights
Sunday: derby practice (3 hrs), eventually cycle to practice (20mi) when weather is a bit nicer

Right now I do bits of this. I do cycle and lift weights, but not as often as in that schedule. It's not ideal to lift weights on Sat and Mon--I'd prefer to have them further apart from each other in the week--but that's all that fits.

As far as eating, I just want to eat more home-cooked whole foods, fruit and veg, and less junk.

I forgot to mention that I am 39, so my body is not quite as resilient as it used to be. But I'd say I'm in pretty good shape. I wouldn't mind losing some fat--I hover on the border of normal/overweight. I have quite a bit of muscle--I'm lucky enough to seem to build and hold onto it quite easily--but I also have a good amount of fat over that muscle. But losing weight is not my main goal, and I want to keep muscle so don't want to lose weight rapidly. Oh yeah, and I'm a woman.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Monday 23 Jan 2012

Exercise
None--had to coach rec league session

Food
Breakfast: my usual smoothie
Lunch: lentil stew from veg cafe
Snack: tea and Nakd cocoa mint bar
Dinner: broccoli & chickpea, veggie dog, cupcake

Notes
Weighed myself this morning. On the low side of 70kg. I'm amazed I didn't gain weight after all the eating I did thus past week.

Food was going ok today then just as I was eating my homemade broccoli chickpea dish my partner turned up with a veggie dog and cupcake for me.

I should have lifted weights but I was on the rota to lead a rec league session. It's their all scrimmage session so I did off skates bench coaching and didn't do any skating myself.
Last edited by FormicaLinoleum on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Here's some derby. This is a game we played in Aug 2011 against the 2010 world champs, Rocky Mountain. As you can see, we lost by a lot, but we were pretty happy with the score given how good they are. I'm in the first jam of this clip. I'm #410 in black.
Last edited by FormicaLinoleum on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby JP » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm

hey great :D

...your avatar is broken, maybe got broken in the forum move, can you reupload?
JP
Site Admin

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 am

Tuesday 24 Jan 2012

Exercise
Cycled home to work to practice to home (13mi)
2 hour derby practice

Food
Breakfast: my usual smoothie
Snack: tea and half a Nakd cocoa mint bar
Lunch: dumplings, veggie burger, potato wedges
Snack: tea and other half of the Nakd cocoa mint bar
Dinner: roasted chickpea/broccoli/garlic
Post-practice: mini weetabix with soya milk and protein powder (that was an experiment--not sure I'll do it again)
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby baldy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 am

FormicaLinoleum wrote:..
Lunch: dumplings, veggie burger, potato wedges..
Post-practice: mini weetabix with soya milk and protein powder (that was an experiment--not sure I'll do it again)

I love reading food logs!
What kind of dumplings and were they the chocolate chip weetabix? Probably not the chocolate chip weetabix, cos if they were, you would defiantly do it again.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:04 am

Looks like a great sport! Look forward to following your log. Agree food logs are interesting. The NAKD mint choc is my second favourite next to their gingerbread one. What sort of stuff do you do in your weights sessions?
Rach

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

baldy wrote:
FormicaLinoleum wrote:..
Lunch: dumplings, veggie burger, potato wedges..

I love reading food logs!
What kind of dumplings and were they the chocolate chip weetabix? Probably not the chocolate chip weetabix, cos if they were, you would defiantly do it again.

Haha--they are the choc chip ones! I do love them; it's the adding protein powder I don't think I'll do again. It resulted in a thick mixture that wasn't very nice and didn't get soaked up properly. But I was feeling lazy but hungry and wanted to combine some real food (i.e., something you chew rather than drink) with some protein.

All my lunch was from the Loving Hut in Camden Town. The dumplings are pretty good--they sell them to take away as well.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 am

Rach wrote:Looks like a great sport! Look forward to following your log. Agree food logs are interesting. The NAKD mint choc is my second favourite next to their gingerbread one. What sort of stuff do you do in your weights sessions?

The choco mint one is definitely my favourite. I just finished up another half!

I do pretty basic stuff with weights. My partner and I lift at home and all we have are bars, crappy plates, and a bench. So I can't even do regular squat as we don't have a rack or stand. We do front squats, bench press, rows, cleans, and deadlifts.

I'm actually really excited as our coaches (who are also skaters) have arranged for us to work with a place called the Dynamic Sports Academy for cross training work once a week and at an amazing price, which will give me access to proper equipment. So I should be able to do some regular squats soon too.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Exercise
Cycled to work and back

Food
Breakfast: my usual smoothie (this is apple, pear, banana, blueberries, spinach, protein powder)
Snack: tea and half a Nakd cocoa mint bar
Lunch: hummus, pita, cuke, red pepper; a few chips (fries)
Snack: tea and the other half of the Nakd cocoa mint bar
Dinner: big salad, a pasta dish I threw together

Notes
I was thinking of doing some other exercise once I got home, but my legs were so tired when cycling, both this morning and this evening, that I decided to leave it at that. I think they are a bit tired out from yesterday.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:21 am

Thursday 26 Jan 2012

Exercise
2-hour derby practice

Food
Breakfast: usual smoothie
Snack: tea and bagel
Lunch: big salad, teriyaki tofu & soba (homemade)
Snack: mug of hot soya almond drink
Dinner (pre-practice): leftover pasta from last night
Post practice: mini weetabix
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:57 am

Friday 27 Jan 2012

Exercise
None

Food
Breakfast: Usual smoothie
Snack: latte
Lunch: teriyaki tofu with bak choi and soba
Snack: hot soya almond drink
Dinner: spring rolls, ma po tofu (takeaway), brownie

Notes
We had some friends over last night and we all ordered takeaway together. I also worked at home so didn't cycle. It doesn't matter too much as Friday is supposed to be my rest day, but I didn't do any exercise on Monday due to leading rec league, so was hoping to squeeze in some exercise today.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:58 pm

choc chip weetabix! I better keep reading your log!
Mr. Cleetus

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Saturday 28 Jan 2012

Exercise
Lifted weights (all weights in pounds):
Cleans: 74x5, 79x5, 84x5
Overhead Press: 69 x3/3/3
Deadlift: 158 x6

Food
Breakfast: tea, brownie, mini weetabix
Snack: kettle corn
Lunch: noodle salad (romaine, cold soba, carrot, cuke, red onion, peanutty dressing)
Dinner: vegan Chinese

Notes
My partner had to work today but I wanted to make sure to lift weights anyway. As I was on my own, I did things that I didn't need a spotter for. I was pretty happy with the cleans--they felt smooth and easy. Not so happy with the overhead press. I feel like that amount of weight shouldn't be so hard.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Next

Return to Training Logs