Paula Deen has type 2 diabetes...

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Paula Deen has type 2 diabetes...

Postby ultraspontane » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Folks across the pond must not be familiar with her. She is just the worst kind of person. She was diagnosed with her condition THREE YEARS AGO. She waited until she found a way to make money off of it before announcing it to he public. She found a way to profit off of it by becoming a paid spokesperson for a pharmaceutical company. So instead of admitting that shoveling sugar coated lard into hrr face every day isnt a good idea, she is now going around saying she isn't going to change how she cooks, but instead cover it up with drugs.

She is pushing this nasty food that will literally kill you onto an already obese and unhealthy nation. She is a whore that will sponsor anyone that is willing to give her money. Lets not forget she is a spokesperson for Smithfield Foods, one of the worst pork plants in the nation known for animal cruelty.

She is doing tremendous harm to society.
ultraspontane

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I saw a quote from a rival chef that sums up the situation pretty well ( rough paraphrasing ):

"I want to get in the leg braking business so I can then sell crutches"

Paula Deen is famous for making bacon and egg sandwiches where she used donuts instead of bread.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby LMM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm

LMM

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 am

LMN;

I've heard sentiments similar to yours expressed in other conversations about Paula Deen.

In my opinion overeating gets a stigma attached to it that other bad habits like drinking, gambling, etc do not. As a result, I think it can be taken as an offense to tell someone that consuming calories in excess of what is needed to sustain health will likely contribute to poor health. A similar statement about the overuse of tanning beds would be less likely to cause a similar offense. In either case, there is an object warning based on facts that exist apart from the emotions attached to hearing or speaking such warnings.

Some people will be insensitive in making those points.

As another poster wrote, I think the British and Europeans on this site, not having seen Dean's smug promotion of the worst kind of "cuisine" do not have a proper perspective on the strength of the criticisms against her.

Given that perspective and the tendency of people on webboards to be indelicate I don't think participating in this thread will bring you many good feelings.

No disrespect. Thanks for being vegan, giving animals and the planet a break.

beforewisdom

Postby ultraspontane » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:21 am

Hiding your diabetes diagnosis for three years while simultaneously promoting this to the already fat American public:

Yep, nothing hypocritical about that.

ultraspontane

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 am

Just saw that the diabetes medication Deen is hawking is $500 a month. Sigh...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-stabiner-diabetes-20120121,0,6770948.story
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Catt Queen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:54 am

ultraspontane wrote:
Hiding your diabetes diagnosis for three years while simultaneously promoting this to the already fat American public:

Yep, nothing hypocritical about that.

Just looking at it made me heave...
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby LMM » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 am

beforewisdom wrote:
No disrespect. Thanks for being vegan

Please don't patronise me.

I am not seeking 'good feeling', merely giving some facts about diabetes on a thread where knowledge of the subject is lacking. Have to say, time was when calling people 'hog', 'whore' and gloating about their diagnosis with a potentially life-threatening condition wouldn't have brought much good feeling on VF; shame if if that's no longer the case.

You are right, in the UK Deen is unknown; the first time I heard of her is when I opened this thread. I challenged 'Diabetics call...' because I object to being told that any group of people - diabetics, vegans, women, Elvis fans, whatever - are all of one mind.

Whether in the public eye or not, anyone diagnosed with a serious condition is entitled to keep that information to themselves. No, I'm not in a position to comment on Deen's behaviour. My feeling is that once diagnosed with diabetes anyone who doesn't follow dietary control guidelines is a fool putting their health, their eyesight, their mobility and ultimately their life at risk. For a type 2 diabetic, it's also the way to avoid medication - I don't expect ever to have to control my diabetes with drugs. However, anyone is entitled to ignore medical advice and refuse treatment when diagnosed with an illness.

Personally, when faced with temptation I say to myself 'Tofutti ice cream or my left foot? Houmous and crisps or my eyesight? Do I want pizza enough to risk that wheelchair?' Works for me.

Everything I have said about the causes or otherwise of diabetes is true. I have certainly said more than once in this thread that that overeating and gaining weight is the major risk factor for diabetes in in a person with diabetic genes. There are other serios risk factors: You are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes if, as well as having the necessary genes if :you are aged between 40 and 75, or you are of Asian or African-Carribean origin, or you are a woman who has had a baby weighing more than 4kg

Though these are the main risk factors, there are some other things that can trigger type 2 diabetes, eg steroid medicines. It is thought, but can't be established, that this may have triggered my diabetes
LMM

Postby Talyn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 am

LMM wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

I am not seeking 'good feeling', merely giving some facts about diabetes on a thread where knowledge of the subject is lacking. Have to say, time was when calling people 'hog', 'whore' and gloating about their diagnosis with a potentially life-threatening condition wouldn't have brought much good feeling on VF; shame if if that's no longer the case.

You are right, in the UK Deen is unknown; the first time I heard of her is when I opened this thread. I challenged 'Diabetics call...' because I object to being told that any group of people - diabetics, vegans, women, Elvis fans, whatever - are all of one mind.

Whether in the public eye or not, anyone diagnosed with a serious condition is entitled to keep that information to themselves. No, I'm not in a position to comment on Deen's behaviour. My feeling is that once diagnosed with diabetes anyone who doesn't follow dietary control guidelines is a fool putting their health, their eyesight, their mobility and ultimately their life at risk. For a type 2 diabetic, it's also the way to avoid medication - I don't expect ever to have to control my diabetes with drugs. However, anyone is entitled to ignore medical advice and refuse treatment when diagnosed with an illness.

Personally, when faced with temptation I say to myself 'Tofutti ice cream or my left foot? Houmous and crisps or my eyesight? Do I want pizza enough to risk that wheelchair?' Works for me.

Everything I have said about the causes or otherwise of diabetes is true. I have certainly said more than once in this thread that that overeating and gaining weight is the major risk factor for diabetes in in a person with diabetic genes. There are other serios risk factors: You are at increased risk of type 2 diabetes if, as well as having the necessary genes if :you are aged between 40 and 75, or you are of Asian or African-Carribean origin, or you are a woman who has had a baby weighing more than 4kg

Though these are the main risk factors, there are some other things that can trigger type 2 diabetes, eg steroid medicines. It is thought, but can't be established, that this may have triggered my diabetes

+1

Excellent post.

I think it is fair to criticise her capitalisating on her illness. However to gloat that she has the disease is a low blow.

LMM has also rightly pointed out that people that don't eat the garbage she does, also can get type 2 diabetes.

If she choked on a chicken bone, or if a cow fell on her and crushed her, then maybe you could say it's karma. This thread is reminiscent to me of the gloating that used to take place here about fox hunt mishaps.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

LMM wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

I wasn't patronizing you. There have been some vegans like Lierre Keith who have gotten diseases, blamed it on vegan diets and started using animal products again with a vengeance. I was honestly thanking you for not taking the same course.

I am not seeking 'good feeling', merely giving some facts about diabetes on a thread where knowledge of the subject is lacking.

I don't doubt there are some people genetically doomed to get type 2 diabetes. I know people who did everything right in terms of lifestyle choices and still got cardiovascular disease. What I was politely trying to convey was that the majority of people who get type 2 diabetes end up there as a result of personal habits, at least in the U.S. that was been very will communicated and that by denying that your posts will be inviting abuse to you on this web board. You seem like an intelligent and ice person, so I was trying to convey that in a polite way.

Have to say, time was when calling people 'hog', 'whore' and gloating about their diagnosis with a potentially life-threatening condition wouldn't have brought much good feeling on VF; shame if if that's no longer the case.

I don't believe I have used any of those terms.

beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Talyn wrote:I think it is fair to criticise her capitalisating on her illness. However to gloat that she has the disease is a low blow.

I don't believe anyone was gloating.

I'm sure there is some public figure in the UK that implicitly promotes some nasty habits by publicly flouting advise to the contrary. I'm also pretty sure that if one day news were to break that person X, after have flouted habits Y, despite public outcry over habit Y that many people would have the comments along the lines of

"no surprise that happened"

Would those people be gloating?

LMM has also rightly pointed out that people that don't eat the garbage she does, also can get type 2 diabetes.

The genesis of type 2 diabetes is not just about food choice, it is also about food quantity. Diabetics are advised to keep their weight down and do better when they do.

If she choked on a chicken bone, or if a cow fell on her and crushed her, then maybe you could say it's karma.

I have no doubt that if a famous factory farm CEO died in such a manner there would be less than 100% sensitive comments on this board about it.

beforewisdom

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:+1. I am glad that someone stated this in what I found to be a pretty harsh thread.

Have you seen interviews with her? She is an ass. Yeah, it sucks that she has diabetes, but I'm not gonna cry about it.

I am not crying about her.
I dislike her as well.

I just find it dehumanizes me, and the whole discussion.

I find it horrible that Dean is profiting from an illness she has helped exacerbate with her diet. I find what she promotes is horrible.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm

LMM wrote:....Please don't patronise me.....

....Houmous and crisps or my eyesight?....

First, I'm pretty sure beforewisdom wasn't patronizing you. That's not his/her style.

Second, what about homemade hummus and some whole wheat crackers? You will get some carbs from the beans and grains, but the fiber and fat should slow down the absorption so that the overall sugar spike is minimal?

xrodolfox wrote:I am not crying about her.
I dislike her as well.

I just find it dehumanizes me, and the whole discussion.

I find it horrible that Dean is profiting from an illness she has helped exacerbate with her diet. I find what she promotes is horrible.

Fair enough. I suppose that sometimes the only two responses are anger and sadness, and sometimes I am sick of being sad. It is usually preferable to anger though.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Talyn wrote:
LMM wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:

+1

Excellent post.

I think it is fair to criticise her capitalisating on her illness. However to gloat that she has the disease is a low blow.

If she choked on a chicken bone, or if a cow fell on her and crushed her, then maybe you could say it's karma. This thread is reminiscent to me of the gloating that used to take place here about fox hunt mishaps.

Low blow indeed, just not cricket!

Actually they don't play out there do they? Has anyone looked at the correlation between playing cricket and diabetes? Tea and cucumber sandwhiches have got to cost a fuck of a lot less than $500 a month.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Previous

Return to General Discussion