Paula Deen has type 2 diabetes...

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Paula Deen has type 2 diabetes...

Postby ultraspontane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am

ultraspontane

Re: Paula Deen has type 2 diabetes...

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 am

If it does, then it hasn't properly bitten her in the ass yet. She is partnering with Novartis to continue to "eat the way she wants, albeit with daily doses of Victoza and "lifestyle adjustments, including lightened-up versions of her favorite recipes."

http://www.newser.com/story/137668/paula-deen-confirms-type-2-diabetes-partners-with-drugmaker-novartis.html

What an ass
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby ultraspontane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Lets not forget she is a paid spokesperson for Smithfield Foods, a serial animal rights violator.
ultraspontane

Postby LMM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:14 pm

'Karma', eh?

I've never heard of her before, but I've just skimmed the article linked to by the OP.

All the 'no wonder’, told you so', brought it on herself' comments quoted come from people who know fuck all about type 2 diabetes. Deen is right about one thing - she doesn't blame herself. She shouldn't.

Type 2 diabetes is not caused by bad diet - except in as much as being significantly overweight is a major risk factor. Deen doesn't appear to be significantly overweight - though perhaps she has lost weight?

Type 2 is controlled by diet, but it isn't caused by diet. For a start, it's hereditary - if you don't have diabetic genes you can lie on the sofa all day eating pork pie and mayonnaise sandwiches washed down with double cream - you won't be healthy, but you will never develop type 2 diabetes.

But bad choice of ancestors isn’t enough by itself to bring on type 2 diabetes. There are a number of additional risk factors. Paula Deen ticks at least one box – she is between 40 and 75 years of age.

So was I when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes… after 14 years as a vegan
LMM

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:07 pm

LMM wrote:Type 2 is controlled by diet, but it isn't caused by diet. For a start, it's hereditary - if you don't have diabetic genes you can lie on the sofa all day eating pork pie and mayonnaise sandwiches washed down with double cream - you won't be healthy, but you will never develop type 2 diabetes.

Can be genetic, but that is not always the cause.

Genetic Health site linked below wrote:However, this risk may not be entirely genetic. Because Type 2 diabetes is also triggered by a lifestyle that lead to obesity, twins may share a strong lifestyle similarity that puts them at similar risk.

http://www.genetichealth.com/dbts_what_is_type_2_diabetes.shtml

LMM, I am sorry to hear you are also suffering with this.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:50 pm

LMM;

I disagree with your post.

A few years ago I read Dr. Bernard's book about diabetes. He gave a clear and thorough description of what happens to people that they get type 2 diabetes. He didn't say it himself, but it was clear from his description that type 2 diabetes, most of the time, is about a person chronically taking in excess calories beyond the capacity of their body to deal with it.

In my non-educated opinion food choice does matter in that the foods Paula Dean promotes make it easier to take in excess calories.....they are concentrated sources.

I do think Paula Dean looks lighter, but I think she is far from a healthy weight. I'm guessing she fits the technical definition for "obese" and certainly for being overweight.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby LMM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Beforewisdom, I made clear in my post that significant overweight is a major risk factor (I should have said the major risk factor) for type 2 diabetes – if you have diabetic genes. It is not the only risk factor.

There are no specific foods or types of diet that lead to or cause type 2 diabetes. It is not caused by bad diet; but a person who has diabetic genes who eats to excess and becomes overweight/obese as a result is heading for a diagnosis. An obese perdon who does not have diabetic genes is at risk of many things, but type 2 diabetes isn’t one of them

I’ve read Neil Barnard’s writings on diabetes; some of it is good, though he must be one of the most misquoted and misunderstood writers on the subject – I often hear people claim that he has said a vegan diet will prevent and even cure type 2 diabetes.

Catt Queen, I’m puzzled by your link. The writer appears to assume that diabetes can be considered genetic/hereditary only if you have a first-degree relative who has/had the condition.

In my own case, nobody else on either side of my family has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes as far as I’m aware. It would seem (maybe I’ve misread) that the writer of this article would conclude that my diabetes is not genetic.

Having educated myself on the subject since my diagnosis, I now know that all my siblings and at least one of my parents, one of that parent’s parents and her/his siblings all have/had diabetic genes.

Thanks for your kind words; I’m not suffering much though :D . It can be a nuisance sometimes, but like most type 2 diabetics I don’t take medication and control my diabetes through diet and exercise. It barely impinges on my life - if I didn't have to test my blood glucose levels and go for regular check ups, I'd pretty much forget I had it.
LMM

Postby ultraspontane » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:02 pm

LMM wrote:'Karma', eh?

I've never heard of her before, but I've just skimmed the article linked to by the OP.

All the 'no wonder’, told you so', brought it on herself' comments quoted come from people who know fuck all about type 2 diabetes. Deen is right about one thing - she doesn't blame herself. She shouldn't.

Type 2 diabetes is not caused by bad diet - except in as much as being significantly overweight is a major risk factor. Deen doesn't appear to be significantly overweight - though perhaps she has lost weight?

Type 2 is controlled by diet, but it isn't caused by diet. For a start, it's hereditary - if you don't have diabetic genes you can lie on the sofa all day eating pork pie and mayonnaise sandwiches washed down with double cream - you won't be healthy, but you will never develop type 2 diabetes.

But bad choice of ancestors isn’t enough by itself to bring on type 2 diabetes. There are a number of additional risk factors. Paula Deen ticks at least one box – she is between 40 and 75 years of age.

What is your point exactly? It is common knowledge that genetics determine the risk factor. It is also common knowledge that if you stuff your face with deep fried cheesecake every day you are going to activate those genes. Saying that her diet had nothing to do with it is just stupid. And to say that there are no specific foods that increase the risk factor is also incorrect. I guess eating a spinach and arugula salad and eating a hamburger patty between two krispy kreme glazed doughnuts (one of her signature recipes) are basically the same for someone who is at risk for diabetes, right?

Pretty much any medcal professional on the planet will tell you that poor lifestyle choices determine whether or not diabetes will rear its ugly head in the vast majority of people at risk. To even insinuate that she had nothing to do with her condition and shouldn't blame herself is ridiculous and irresponsible. If she wasn't a fat hog that ate fried butterballs and drank liters of sweet tea evey day, I'd bet the house that she wouldn't be in the situation that she is in now.

She doesn't appear to be significantly overweight?

She has to go to the tent section to find shirts.
Last edited by ultraspontane on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultraspontane

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm not into rude or harsh replies.

I just don't buy it.

Almost all of the people I've met who have gotten type 2 diabetes have been visibly overweight with poor diets. I've know people who cleaned up their diets and started exercising who were able to make their type 2 diabetes much better.

beforewisdom

Postby LMM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 am

ultraspontane wrote:
LMM wrote:'Karma', eh?

What is your point exactly? It is common knowledge that genetics determine the risk factor. It is also common knowledge that if you stuff your face with deep fried cheesecake every day you are going to activate those genes. Saying that her diet had nothing to do with it is just stupid. And to say that there are no specific foods that increase the risk factor is also incorrect. I guess eating a spinach and arugula salad and eating a hamburger patty between two krispy kreme glazed doughnuts (one of her signature recipes) are basically the same for someone who is at risk for diabetes, right?

Pretty much any medcal professional on the planet will tell you that poor lifestyle choices determine whether or not diabetes will rear its ugly head in the vast majority of people at risk. To even insinuate that she had nothing to do with her condition and shouldn't blame herself is ridiculous and irresponsible. If she wasn't a fat hog that ate fried butterballs and drank liters of sweet tea evey day, I'd bet the house that she wouldn't be in the situation that she is in now.

My point? Well, first I find gloating at the news that someone has a potentially life-threatening condition and calling it karma pretty disgusting – I don’t care who that someone is.

No, it clearly isn’t common knowledge that diabetes is hereditary. And Deen’s diet is implicated in her diabetes only in as much as it caused her to become significantly overweight – as the picture you post makes clear she is/was. The only image of her I had seen till then was the mugshot accompanying your original link.

Of the two options you give, the salad is the less likely to lead to diabetes in someone at risk only in as much as it would almost certainly be part of the diet of someone who is less likely to put on weight.

Many people are able to maintain a reasonable or low weight while eating crap – we all know such people. Someone who is able to do so while having diabetic genes is not increasing their risk of diabetes by their diet, because there are no specific foods – not sugary foods, not high fat foods – which in and of themselves cause or lead to diabetes.

I control my diabetes through diet. I didn’t really have to ‘clean up my act’; I couldn’t cut out fried cheesecake, hamburgers, krispy kreme donuts, sweet tea or fried butterballs because I’ve never consumed any of them. I do have to maintain a diet of foods that are low to moderate on the Glycaemic Index.

The GI is a ranking of foods based on their effect on blood glucose levels; slowly absorbed foods have a lower rating, while the foods that are most quickly absorbed have a high rating. Foods I have to treat with caution include, as well as high sugar foods, such things as beetroot, watermelon, banana (the riper the higher) and pineapple. No reason for someone who’s not diabetic not to stuff their faces with these foods, but a diabetic (or someone who has been identified as being pre-diabetic, as a relative of mine was) has to treat them with caution. I await the inevitable cries of ‘rubbish!’, but I am following standard medical advice for type 2 diabetics.

Beforewisdom: I’m sorry if you found my reply rude or harsh; having reread it, I can’t see how – but sorry anyway. I suppose there can be a fine line between passionate and rude, and having been diagnosed with both diabetes and cancer in my lifetime I am very used to, and have little patience with, the ‘blame the victim’ arguments
LMM

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 am

LMM wrote:My point? Well, first I find gloating at the news that someone has a potentially life-threatening condition and calling it karma pretty disgusting – I don’t care who that someone is.

+1. I am glad that someone stated this in what I found to be a pretty harsh thread.

LMM wrote:Beforewisdom: I’m sorry if you found my reply rude or harsh; having reread it, I can’t see how – but sorry anyway. I suppose there can be a fine line between passionate and rude, and having been diagnosed with both diabetes and cancer in my lifetime I am very used to, and have little patience with, the ‘blame the victim’ arguments

I also reread this thread after the accusation, and I couldn't find the rudeness either. If there is, I will help clean it up.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:58 pm

LMM wrote:My point? Well, first I find gloating at the news that someone has a potentially life-threatening condition and calling it karma pretty disgusting – I don’t care who that someone is.

I disagree. I didn't see the original thread as any different from the myriad of newsclips and published opinion pieces about Deen. I've watched some video clips of Paula Deen's shows including her famous doughnut sandwiches. As far as "gloating" goes that was pretty much the vibe I got from Deen as she made and ate her illness producing cuisine on air. Deen isn't some grandmother born before awareness of nutritional issues who had no idea what she was doing. She was someone who flouted health warnings and who implicitly encouraged others to do the same with her cooking show. I believe that is why the media (and others) have paid so much attention to the revelation that she has type 2 diabetes.

LMM wrote:Beforewisdom: I’m sorry if you found my reply rude or harsh; having reread it, I can’t see how

That post of mine was under the OP's reply to you, which, while I agreed with his points, I thought was unnecessarily harsh.

and have little patience with, the ‘blame the victim’ arguments

I think that mentality is out there. I haven't seen it with this thread or other articles about PD. I see it that way for what I wrote in the first paragraph of this post.

beforewisdom

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 pm

xrodolfox wrote:+1. I am glad that someone stated this in what I found to be a pretty harsh thread.

Have you seen interviews with her? She is an ass. Yeah, it sucks that she has diabetes, but I'm not gonna cry about it. KARMA can definitely be applied in this situation. You don't spend your life stuffing your face with the worst junk you can find and then try to make money with big pharma companies when your body revolts against you without gaining my ire.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby muchluv » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Just to point out she partnered with novo nordisk not novartis.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Next

Return to General Discussion