gidday from New Zealand

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

gidday from New Zealand

Postby sprout » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello, new vegan here (3 weeks now). Been lurkin' on this forum for about a week now, lots of great info and discussion so thought I'd join, not that I have much great info or discussion to offer at this very early stage of veganism. I went vegan straight from omni within a couple of days after firstly reading an article on carnism, had never heard the term before (had never heard of speciesim either) and it changed my whole perception, actually pretty much shattered my worldview, but it's all good because it needed shattering. After reading the article I forced myself to watch some animal rights vids over the next couple days that I saw recommended by vegan blogs, and those videos broke my heart, the misery and wretchedness of animal lives. I don't want to contribute to their suffering ever again, so have ditched the death food. It feels like a small yet mighty first step in the right direction anyway, to not causing them to suffer, or reduce their suffering at least.
sprout

Re: gidday from New Zealand

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Excellent, well done and welcome :mrgreen:
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby sprout » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Thank you Catt Queen, great avatar :D
sprout

Postby kallefs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Welcome! Fast transition, hope everything works out well. Be sure to ask if there's anything you wonder about. Do you train any specific sport?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Welcome from Wellington! :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:26 pm

also welcome from Wellington!
lover of cuttlefish

Postby loveliberate » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 am

Hello & Welcome! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby etherspin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 am

sprout wrote:Hello, new vegan here (3 weeks now). Been lurkin' on this forum for about a week now, lots of great info and discussion so thought I'd join, not that I have much great info or discussion to offer at this very early stage of veganism. I went vegan straight from omni within a couple of days after firstly reading an article on carnism, had never heard the term before .

nice one ! welcome ...
Was it something written by Melanie Joy then ? Im very interested .. there is such variation in what triggers people to re-evaluate their views enough to embrace veganism.
etherspin

Postby dublin dave » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 am

Welcome... 8)
dublin dave

Postby sprout » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 am

Kia ora Mr. Cleetus and lover of cuttlefish! I used to live in Welly many years ago, it's a great city. Am now residing in chilly old Dunedin lol (beautiful day today though)

Gidday loveliberate!

Hi kallefs: yes I do karate, returned to it a few months ago after a long break (7 years). Am still pretty out of shape though, as my focus initially was relearning the syllabus rather than working on fitness. Still haven't got all the syllabus down pat though. And while my new vegan diet needs a lot of work, it's waaaay better than what I was eating prior in terms of variety (and nutrition I reckon), let alone that it feels good to not be eating cruelty anymore. I have very limited funds but I did cough up a a fair whack of $$$ for some vegan B12 supplements though, just to be on the safe side. I'm gonna be trawling the food forums here especially for nutrition info and yummy recipes because I'd like to keep my calcium, iron, vitamin etc levels up naturally via food rather than resort to supplements, but if I have to take supplements it'll be no big deal, except that they're sooo expensive and food is cheaper so will be doing my best to make food work for me.

Hi etherspin: yes it was this article, I don't know if Melanie Joy wrote it or not but her video is at the end of the article (didn't watch the video until later though, mind was already blown lol). I have to admit though that when I think about it now in the past year I've been getting 'triggered' for veganism bit by bit without realising it, and when I read that article (it was posted in FB feminism group I was a member of) I was ready to hear the truth. btw I left that feminism group because of the ongoing stubborn reluctance of many of the feminists to SEE what is so very obvious, that speciesism, misogyny/patriarchy, racism, homophobia and all oppressions are rooted in the same pile of shit. Actually I have a very unscientific hunch (can't go back in a time machine and prove it however) that speciesism was the first oppression and all others stem from that. Eating meat poisoned us on a psychic level (and I don't mean that in a new age woooo way). Sorry can't quite articulate what I mean, not an academic didn't even make it through high school. ok I'll quit my yap for now cuz I could waffle on all night about this lol

oh gidday dublin dave, I see you've posted while I've been typing this screed :D
sprout

Postby NatB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Welcome! :D
NatB

Return to New member introductions