running and training with weights?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

running and training with weights?

Postby sergio » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 pm

I've been hitting the gym 3 days each week, running other 3 days and having one day of complete rest for the last month.

I guess running is not the best idea if you pretend to gain some mass -as I do- but my main goal is to improve my physical condition as a whole and running feels so good that I wouldn't like to quit. The guy at my gym says it will slow down my progress, but I'm being a little bit stubborn about this. As a complete beginner, I run only 4-5 km at very slow/moderate pace, it's not like training for a marathon, after all.

So my question to connoisseurs is when should I run? The same day after weight training? Or the days between? Or should i stop making silly questions and doing just what feels good?

Thanks in advance, any advice will be welcome. Still trying to build a solid weekly routine.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Re: running and training with weights?

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

It will hamper your progress, but not by a huge amount, and you'll be fitter. I'd do it on alternate days like you are at the moment and just not sweat it.

If you are trying to put weight on just up your calories and carry on as you are at the mo would be my advice...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby sergio » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks! I guess I need someone telling me that it's not so bad idea after all.

I'm being overwhelmed by the insane amount of info about training. For f*ck's sake, I just want to sweat :)
sergio

Postby Goob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am

sergio wrote:Thanks! I guess I need someone telling me that it's not so bad idea after all.

I'm being overwhelmed by the insane amount of info about training. For f*ck's sake, I just want to sweat :)

There is so much info about training because pretty much anything will work. As long as you are consistently doing something difficult, you will get better. Programs and routines are helpful because following one ensures that you keep pushing yourself.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby sergio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Goob wrote: As long as you are consistently doing something difficult, you will get better.

That's exactly how I see it. Too much info filled my head with "you should" and "you shouldn't", sometimes in opposite directions.
sergio

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights