Healthspan and fish

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Healthspan and fish

Postby Konstantin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm

I bought some supplements over the internet, and as a result the company now send me a newsletter. In the mosty recent one there's an article "Tips for healthy joints". One of the 'experts' says:

...Include oily fish in the diet, such as salmon or mackerel up to 3 time a week. If you are vegetarian, eat nuts and seeds on a daily basis or supplment the diet with a fish oil food supplement.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Healthspan and fish

Postby Talyn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:07 pm

...Include oily fish in the diet, such as salmon or mackerel up to 3 time a week. If you are vegetarian, eat nuts and seeds on a daily basis or supplment the diet with a fish oil food supplement.

nice fail, but not really a surprise. a lot of people think vegetarians eat fish. a lot of others are too ignorant to know that things like flax & hemp oil even exist, and cover omega-3 just as well as fish.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Why not send them a short 2 line email telling them that vegetarians don't eat fish and that most western vegetarians have strong ethical motives for being so, thus they might find that statement of theirs offensive?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby loveliberate » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 pm

While the article quote is obviously fishy (hehehe) and incomplete, the general idea of regularly including healthy sources of oils in our diets seems sound to me - and they do seem to offer a vegan source (nuts and seeds) on an equal level with fish...
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Konstantin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 pm

To be honest it does seem that the mag is aimed at people easily impressed by some haphazard advice, but I did email them and point out the glaring error. Lets see what they say....
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm

beforewisdom wrote:Why not send them a short 2 line email telling them that vegetarians don't eat fish and that most western vegetarians have strong ethical motives for being so, thus they might find that statement of theirs offensive?

The odd thing is that they seem to understand that vegetarians don't eat fish (they are assuming they aren't going to meet the first suggestion of including oily fish in the diet) but think they would take fish oil capsules.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby blinki » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:39 pm

To me it reads like they know vegetarians don't eat fish but think some might consider taking fish oil because it's good for them, even if they don't really like 'having' to do it. Why they'd do that while saying nuts and seeds are fine is beyond me

Either way it's a stupid statement.
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 pm

they are also unaware of vegan DHA supplements :)

Same stuff you can get from fish but not (directly) from flax for those who don't know
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements