mallory's first log.

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

mallory's first log.

Postby malloryjade » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 am

My first ever training log. I've never done one of these before but already I feel like it would be a bad idea if I didn't keep one.
My goal is to gain some lean mass and work on my diet to lower my body fat percentage. Not very specific I know, but at least it's a goal.
I guess my plan would be to do upper body and abs/back day 1, legs and glutes day 2 and rest day 3.
Well see how that goes for now and I'll adjust if need be.

Sat 7th Jan
Holy crap. I didn't do a lot but it's made me realise how much I've missed the gym. I feel so weak and puny right now, but I know things will get better. I can't wait for DOMS to set in...

Alternating dumbell Curl, 3 x 10 @ 7.5kg
Overhead shoulder press, 3 x 10 @ 4.5kg
Flat Bench dumbell press, 3 x 10 @ 7.5kg (admittedly this did feel a bit easy and I could have increased the weights, but I'll wait to see how I'm feeling on Monday.)
Row, 3 x 10 @ 4.5kg.

I'm already feeling positive about increasing my weights and I can't wait to get started on my lower body tomorrow.
I'm going to stop running so much and probably look at doing some short distance (5-7km's) maybe twice a week instead, so I can focus on building some mass.

My current set up at home doesn't give me a whole lot of options for training so I'm currently sussing out gyms in my area.
Feeling good...
Last edited by malloryjade on Fri May 18, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing stopping you from reaching your goal is you, so get out of the way!"
malloryjade

Re: WELL HELLOOOO 2012... malloryjade's first log.

Postby baldy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 am

malloryjade wrote: I'm currently sussing out gyms in my area.
Feeling good...

When you go see gyms make sure they have a squat rack. You will thank me for this one day.

Good work on starting a training log.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby seasiren » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm

baldy wrote:When you go see gyms make sure they have a squat rack.

+1
seasiren

Postby malloryjade » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Mon 9th January

Skipped for 10 minutes to warm up.
Lunges, 3 x 20 @ 20kg
Deadlifts 3 x 12 @ 20kg
Calf raises, 1 x 20 each leg
Plank, 3 x as long as I could hold it, longest was about 30 secs. Much work to be done..
Crunches 3 x 15.

Relatively easy morning. Got the heart rate up though.
Still not so keen on my training space but I'm going in to a local gym today to check it out. baldy and seasiren, I will definitely be on the look out for a squat rack haha... I'm liking the idea of getting back into a gym more and more; I don't think I like training by myself.
Diet yesterday wasn't amazing, didn't help that I slept in until midday either. This week I'll be focusing on eating really clean. Yay!
"The only thing stopping you from reaching your goal is you, so get out of the way!"
malloryjade

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:00 am

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? I would recommend avoiding fitness first, but there are plenty of good gyms scattered around Melbourne.
If you are after vegan supplements check out http://www.veganstrength.org/articles/vegan-strength-supplements/ and http://fatfueledvegan.blogspot.com/2011/03/confessions-of-vegan-supplement-junkie.html
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby malloryjade » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 am

hardcore iv wrote:Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? I would recommend avoiding fitness first, but there are plenty of good gyms scattered around Melbourne.
If you are after vegan supplements check out http://www.veganstrength.org/articles/vegan-strength-supplements/ and http://fatfueledvegan.blogspot.com/2011/03/confessions-of-vegan-supplement-junkie.html

Hey hciv :)
I'm east of Melbourne, in Nunawading to be exact. Working in the city and training a friend in Fitzroy currently.
And yes I will be avoiding FF, I used to work for them actually haha...

Yes, I love veganstrength! Love seeing a girl in there too. Thanks for the fatfueledvegan site though, will suss that now...
malloryjade

Postby malloryjade » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 am

So the past few days have been a total blur.

Tues 10th Jan.
I did train but I can't actually remember what I did... It was my lower body; I remember doing lunges but nothing else. Or maybe that was Monday... Would forget my head each morning if it wasn't screwed on, I swear.

Wed 11th Jan
Did 10 minutes of HIIT before work. Ran my 3km track and I was stuffed.
Afternoon consisted of:
Bicep curls 1 x 12 @ 5kg, 2 x 12 @ 7.5kg
Tricep dips, 3 x 12. Tried to stretch out each dip longer as the sets went on.
Shoulder press, 1 x 12 @ kg, 2 x 12 @ 7.5kg.
Pushups, 3 x 15. Still doing girly ones on my knees.
Worked my core too, did 3 x 15 of crunches and worked my obliques too.. dunno what the exercise would be called though. 3 x 15 of that too.

Given I only have free weights, can I get advice on exercises to work my back?
malloryjade

Postby hardcore iv » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 am

malloryjade wrote:I'm east of Melbourne, in Nunawading to be exact. Working in the city and training a friend in Fitzroy currently.

Good gyms in your area would be Definition 352 (352 Blackburn Rd, Doncaster East, 3109) and the gym at boxhill TAFE on whitehorse road (right next to vegie hut) has a good setup too.

malloryjade wrote:Given I only have free weights, can I get advice on exercises to work my back?

bent over rows, power cleans, pullups, upright rows. check out http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html for a more thorough list.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby JP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am

hardcore iv wrote:(right next to vegie hut)

whoah, thats a good selling point :D

(well, for me...)
JP
Site Admin

Postby malloryjade » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 am

Next to vegie hut, that's an EPIC selling point. I have been past that gym millions of times and never gone in.

Never heard of Definition 352 but I will check it out this week.

Currently have a 1 week trial at Anytime Fitness - pluses are it's open 24 hours and one of the cheaper memberships I've seen ($15.95 p/w), but I've only been in one day and the cons I've seen already are that I have to wait for benches to free up (not even that busy during peak times) and there's NO SQUAT RACK :evil:

So I worked my lower body on Thursday last week but I can't remember any of my weights. Does anyone have any tips besides carrying a notepad around the gym with me to remember my routine? I struggle to remember what I had for dinner last night :(

Monday 16th Jan
Dumbell Shoulder Press - 12 x 5gk, 10 x 7kg, 8 x 7kg
Tricep pulldown - 12 x 5kg, 10 x 5kg, 10 x 5kg (My poor tri's were strugging after that, much work to do here)
Seated low row - 12 x 12kg, 12 x 14.5kg, 12 x 14.5kg
Dumbell bench press - 12 x 5kg, 12x 7kg, 10 x 7kg (tri's stood the test. I'm proud)

20 minutes of cardio, cool down and stretches.

That was my first day in a gym (not working) for over a year. IT FEELS GOOD TO BE BACK :)
malloryjade

Postby baldy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 am

malloryjade wrote:there's NO SQUAT RACK :evil:

No SQUAT RACK = not really a gym

malloryjade wrote: Does anyone have any tips besides carrying a notepad around the gym with me to remember my routine? I struggle to remember what I had for dinner last night :(

Too cool to carry a notepad?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby malloryjade » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am

baldy wrote:Too cool to carry a notepad?

Haha! It just seems inconvenient, but I guess it seems to be my only option.
malloryjade

Postby malloryjade » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Wednesday 18th Jan
Deadlifts, 12 @ 10kg, 12 @ 25kg, 10 @ 25kg
Leg press, 12 @ 40kg, 10 @ 40 kg, 10 @ 40 kg
Sumo squats, 12 @ 14kg, 12 @ 16kg, 12 @ 16kg
Backwards leg extension (?), 12 @ 15kg, 12 @ 25kg, 12 @ 25kg
Calf raises, 12 @ 25kg, 12 @ 35kg, 12 @ 35kg.

15 minutes cardio.

Feeling good after this morning. I'm noticing changes in my body already, my muscles have good memory...
malloryjade

Postby malloryjade » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 am

Thurs 19th Jan
Ran for 10 mins with a mate after work, then off to the gym.

Lat pulldown, 12 x 19kg, 12 x 26kg, 12 x 26kg, 12 x 26kg (maybe this was in pounds?)
DBl shoulder press, 12 x 5kg, 12 x 7kg, 12 x 7kg, 12 x 7kg
DB chest press, 12 x 5kg, 12 x 8kg, 12 x 8kg, 12 x 8kg

20 minute hill run.
malloryjade

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:23 pm

baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Training Logs