Bike Journal

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Bike Journal

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:40 pm

There's a winter distance challenge on Endomondo.
I've created a Vegan Cyclists team. It's open to anyone to join, although the challenge creator is asking only people in countries that have winter conditions from October to March enter.
Looking at the other teams mileage to date, I reckon I can get us in to 4th place out of 7 on my own. :P
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby bob_summers » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 pm

What are we doing in 2012? I think we've got some mile munchers on here and we could win something, somehow :)

As to where - I wasn't that impressed with Bikejournal, especially after they stopped route uploads for free accounts. It's a bit fiddly.
I've dabbled in Endomondo over the last month and it looks a much better setup for 'challenges'. I can just plug in my garmin and job's done (IME of course).

Any ideas?
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:21 am

I thought it felt a bit petty, the way BikeJournal disabled automatic uploads a after a month for free members. I wouldn't mind dropping out of their challenge to avoid having to enter everything manually.

Endomondo's got a good selection of challenges and I'm on a few, either as an individual or as Team Vegan Cyclists (which is just me at the moment :-) )
I'm currently ahead of Denmark on the "Most km (MTB)" challenge.
7th out of 171 for most Kcal burned in 2011 as well.

For a personal training log, Fetcheveryone is hard to beat.
There's all sorts of features like leagues, targets and tables based on Garmin uploads. There's even a couple of GPS based games.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 am

One thing I like about BikeJournal is that I can specify which bike I use on a ride, so I can then get the total mileage for each bike over the year like this, http://www.bikejournal.com/profiles.asp ... eganGraham
Is there a site that allows that and allows direct upload from GPS ?
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby bob_summers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:55 am

I used ridewithGPS last year as the garmin connect maps went over to Bing (resolution was crap in my area). They're using Google maps again now but RWGPS was great, I'll stay with it.
It supports mileage per bike http://ridewithgps.com/gears/9102, and direct uploads, but doesn't have a way to set up challenges ala Endomondo. The free version doesn't write tracks to garmins, you have to drag and drop in the file manager which is no biggie.
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I just signed up to ridewithgps, looking good so far.
Love the way the playback speed matches the actual speed, you can see where I was whizzing down hill or stopping to open a gate. :D
My only criticism is that I can't see an easy way to log cycling and running totals separately.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby bob_summers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Running? Huh, hadn't realised you were a pervert ;-)
seriously tho, RWGPS is in need of that functionality if it wants to compete with Endomondo. I'm not sure what the motorcycling thing is about, maybe it was a moto site originally, but it seems unnecessary to me.
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I like racing and there's a lot more running than mountain biking events around. I want to have a serious attempt at orienteering too, so, running it is.
I've used the feedback form on RWGPS to ask for a separate running category.

I'm in a few challenges on Endomondo as an individual, I've also entered Vegan Cyclist for a few if anyone else wants to join the team.
Most Km mountain bike, no time limit.
Most Km mountain bike, Winter 2011/2012
Most Km mountain bike, 2012
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby GY Jon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:04 pm

...Drum roll...

...Bob Summers...

I announce you Vegan Fitness Bike Journal Champion of 2011 with a magnificent 8,264.1 miles which is 13280km in the 21st century and so you win the Oily Sprocket Trophy tm (sponsored by worn-out Campag 10 speed) which I would feel obliged to make if you didn't reside somewhere nice and warm and so not in the UK.

Well done anyway all that logged their miles a fine effort, 69th in the world from only 8 riders, pretty good going I'd say, we all deserve a Booja Booja truffle.
GY Jon

Postby bob_summers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Ta Jon, enjoy the truffles (no chance of finding those here!). RidewithGPS tells me I spent 23 days, 18 hours and 47 minutes of 2011 on a bike :-/
Are we doing this again?
An safe and injury-free 2012 to everyone.
bob_summers

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:36 am

I'd given up on BikeJournal and gone to RWGPS instead because of the direct upload from Garmin.
It's not too much trouble to enter rides manually though, so if everyone else is up for it, I'll do it again this year.
It's good to be so high up the table with so few riders. :D
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Gastroplodder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 am

I'm keeping quiet here as I think my 2012 mileage is going to be minuscule what with marathon training and no audax planned :oops:
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby GY Jon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:54 am

Gastroplodder wrote:I'm keeping quiet here as I think my 2012 mileage is going to be minuscule what with marathon training and no audax planned :oops:

No audax? I thought swearing was only allowed in the direction of tyre companies? I MAY be organising an audax or 2 myself in the autumn and I was hoping to tempt some VFers over with the promise of lots of vegan cake somewhere on-route...
GY Jon

Postby GY Jon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:I'd given up on BikeJournal and gone to RWGPS instead because of the direct upload from Garmin.
It's not too much trouble to enter rides manually though, so if everyone else is up for it, I'll do it again this year.
It's good to be so high up the table with so few riders. :D

So are we as a group officially giving up on bike journal or moving elsewhere? If so I may as well lump my miles with YACF, I'll take a look at RWGPS but I only use my Garmin for weekend rides so I may not be contributing much :roll:
GY Jon

Postby Gastroplodder » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:33 pm

GY Jon wrote:
Gastroplodder wrote:I'm keeping quiet here as I think my 2012 mileage is going to be minuscule what with marathon training and no audax planned :oops:

No audax? I thought swearing was only allowed in the direction of tyre companies? I MAY be organising an audax or 2 myself in the autumn and I was hoping to tempt some VFers over with the promise of lots of vegan cake somewhere on-route...

Oh dear - I do have a pretty bad record re resisting temptation :)
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Forum