Kung Fu Fighters

Styles, training, conditioning, equipment - everything related to Martial Arts.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Kung Fu Fighters

Postby grantjones » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Hello All,

Just wondering if there is anyone studying any interesting martial arts. I study Choy Li Fut, and TaiChi Chuan. I've been at it for a couple years now and love it. I'd like to hear more about other styles and how they compare. I would like to think my style would hold up against someone who trains in MMA (which i love) but I'd like to hear other opinions. At my school we study full contact sparring, grappling, joint locking, push hands and self defense techniques. Tell me about yours, or if you're doing MMA, which styles are you studying?
grantjones

Re: Kung Fu Fighters

Postby daveuk » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi mate! I do wing tsun and I really enjoy it amongst some other styles and a bit of MMA I do with mates. Iv been doing it for roughly 3 years now. Re: Kung Fu styles holding up against MMA, it really depends on what you takedown defence is like as this can really be the missing link in traditional styles. No matter how good your standup is, if someone trains wrestling and BJJ they will have a big advantage over you. The way I look at it is this - Everyone has a natural fighting instinct i.e kicking and punching. If someone on the street gets attacked they defend and attack etc back instinctively. On the ground its a different ball game and if you don't know what you are doing instinct alone will not cut it and someone whos trained in this will get the better of you.
Having sparred with some people who'v never done any martial arts (but are big guys who have had street fights etc) and finding that they could get the better of me simply because of there mentality and their strength really brought me down to earth. This was the big eye opener for me as I thought my stand up was fairly good. We do learn some BBJ in Wing Tsun which iv really enjoyed but Im looking to train it full time if possible. Tai chi is really cool and I have done some before but never got that far in the grand scheme of things. Choy li fut is interesting although Im not a fan of the huge wide swings that it tends to favour (mainly due to previous shoulder injuries from throwing a hook punch).
But having said that - each to their own. There is no styles, only individuals. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is specifically your own!
daveuk

Re: Kung Fu Fighters

Postby elixir » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm more of a fan of traditional martial arts, having studied karate, tai chi and aikido in the past. However, the modern blend of MMA really has the edge when it comes to 'who would beat who' - No single style has all the elements that you get in MMA, especially groundwork.
elixir

Return to Martial Arts