Increasing muscle mass on a low calorie diet?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Increasing muscle mass on a low calorie diet?

Postby malloryjade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 am

Massive edit here... Thanks to everyone who posted previous to today.

I want increase my muscle mass and have started weight training about 2 weeks ago. I've already put on about 3kg's.

I have however been lowering my calorie intake in a bid to lower my body fat percentage. I've increased my protein intake within the calories I am consuming. I've seen the changes - I'm becoming more defined - but I'm wondering if I could be hindering my body's ability to grow more lean muscle with a low cal diet, even though I've increase my protein intake. I'm guessing if I've already put on about 3kg in 2 weeks I should be fine, but I thought I'd ask for advice.

I also feel like I'm craving carbs as a pre bedtime/post dinner snack. I take it this would be my body's way of telling me to eat more to replenish my energy stores? I'm not feeling tired though - quite the opposite actually, I'm full of beans and that's with 5-7 hours sleep every night too.

I'm trying to train 3 times minimum a week with an eventual goal of 5 days a week, is there anything anyone can suggest? Or should I just listen to how my body feels?
Last edited by malloryjade on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The only thing stopping you from reaching your goal is you, so get out of the way!"
malloryjade

Re: Female wants to lose SERIOUS body fat and get LEAN - HEL

Postby baldy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 am

Obviously the first step to looking like one of those ladies is to put on a bikini! :wink:
Step 2 would be to start a training log and hit the gym.
You should read every post seasiren has made, she was a fitness model and kept a training log. Hopefully she will also jump on this thread with advice.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 am

malloryjade wrote:Now currently I'm running 6-7km's/3-4miles every morning before work

I strongly recommend that you take a couple of rest days a week, or your body will not be able to recover and repair, and you risk injuring yourself. It is during rest that muscle is gained and your body works on itself to increase your endurance.

I'm no expert, but I hang around with a lot of runners and they all have the same advice; do routine runs several days a week and have several days off. Some days, run faster or further to push yourself, and make sure you rest the day before and the day after. Over-doing it can be worse than not doing it at all.
Hiking Fox

Postby malloryjade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 am

Hiking Fox wrote:
malloryjade wrote:Now currently I'm running 6-7km's/3-4miles every morning before work

I strongly recommend that you take a couple of rest days a week, or your body will not be able to recover and repair, and you risk injuring yourself. It is during rest that muscle is gained and your body works on itself to increase your endurance.

I'm no expert, but I hang around with a lot of runners and they all have the same advice; do routine runs several days a week and have several days off. Some days, run faster or further to push yourself, and make sure you rest the day before and the day after. Over-doing it can be worse than not doing it at all.

Excellent, ok thanks. That makes more sense.
"The only thing stopping you from reaching your goal is you, so get out of the way!"
malloryjade

Postby JP » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

looking from your pics (cant see that well but maybe enough) it would already be time to hit the weights hard to increase the muscle mass ("tone") which is what makes those goal pictures look dramatic.

That, and airbrushing :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby malloryjade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 am

JP wrote:looking from your pics (cant see that well but maybe enough) it would already be time to hit the weights hard to increase the muscle mass ("tone") which is what makes those goal pictures look dramatic.

Thanks JP! Yes, in the year that I've been away from the weights I've lost a lot of mass.. I used to have guns but my arms are like jelly now :(

And yeah, the airbrushing will come with my bikini pics ;) haha
malloryjade

Postby Linnéa76 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:37 pm

JP wrote:looking from your pics (cant see that well but maybe enough) it would already be time to hit the weights hard to increase the muscle mass ("tone") which is what makes those goal pictures look dramatic.

And plastic surgery...

IMO, goals that have to do with strength/endurance/skill are better long term goals than
attaining a certain look or body fat percentage. More fun and less deprivation, plus you'll
be able to keep gradually improving your results for many years to come which is good for
motivation. From what I understand, people who compete in body fitness do not have
as low bodyfat as in your pictures between competitions, or for many years (which probably
wouldn't be very healthy anyway). Of course, if you do both strength training and cardio you
will get more muscle definition after a while. But getting a six-pack would for most women require
very restricted eating...

I hope this forum will inspire you to focus on the strength part of your goals and that you'll find
that it's fun to lift heavy (and eat a lot) :D
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby malloryjade » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 am

Well don't I feel like an idiot.. My original post is absurd!

It's funny that you say that because after I made this thread, i've realised the only thing I want to achieve is to put on some mass. Being a fitness model isn't a goal of mine at all - my focus is to become strong, be that with out without a six pack. I want to be fit and healthy and lift huge, not strut around in a bikini. Reading a few more threads on this forum has made me realise exactly what I want to aspire to be, and thats a strong healthy vegan. I'm totally inspired and can't wait to start lifting more and more.

Think it's time to edit my original post...
malloryjade

Postby baldy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:56 am

Reminds me of an old proverb.
A vegan that looks good in a bikini might not be strong, but a vegan that is strong will look good in a bikini.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:35 am

malloryjade wrote:Well don't I feel like an idiot.. My original post is absurd!

It's funny that you say that because after I made this thread, i've realised the only thing I want to achieve is to put on some mass. Being a fitness model isn't a goal of mine at all - my focus is to become strong, be that with out without a six pack. I want to be fit and healthy and lift huge, not strut around in a bikini. Reading a few more threads on this forum has made me realise exactly what I want to aspire to be, and thats a strong healthy vegan. I'm totally inspired and can't wait to start lifting more and more.

Think it's time to edit my original post...

rock onnnnn! :twisted:
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Increasing muscle mass on a low calorie diet?

Postby micalhassi » Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 am

It is a little bit difficult to get body mass with low calories diet. Because body muscles need calories for better growth, you need to do work out according to daily calories consumed. Don't do more work out because if you do more then body muscles need more energy, but there are shortage of calories.
micalhassi

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights