New York Times: Vegans Muscle Their Way Into Bodybuilding

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: New York Times: Vegans Muscle Their Way Into Bodybuildin

Postby Lordmuppet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm

New York Times has disco fever!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Why can't anybody keep that raw foods nonsense to their self? It always happens toward the end of a mostly positive article and ruins everything.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby vegan hal » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Goob. yeah I hearya. it's typical "objective" journalism. my wife and i used to always notice if there was a pro vegan or animal news story on the TV that it was always followed by something completely disgusting like a Mc D's ad or a piece on boar hunting or the like.

but as they say, any press is good press.
vegan hal

Postby Mellos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:21 am

What I find fascinating is that the downsides of being a vegan bodybuilder that are mentioned are just downright bullshit.
Amino acids? Protein intake? Come on! No natural bodybuilder has to take care of them. Just eat more than 2 different things and eat a lot, problem solved.

The only disadvantage that I see is that you can choose from a smaller pool of food on a vegan no carb diet, IF an omnivore decides to eat vegan stuff, too. Since nobody eats meat and seitan when cutting, this disadvantage can be ignored.
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby sosso » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 am

Yeah the bit about having to eat really large quantities of everything was irrelevant. They made it seem like omni bodybuilders don't have to eat much, while vegans have to eat crazy amounts. It's not unusual for bodybuilders to eat up to 12 eggs for breakfast, for example. Would that be considered "normal" by the average Joe who is not involved in bodybuilding?
sosso

Postby JP » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 am

good points mentioned, but that could be the journalist just nitpicking the "weird" sides of the story.

Also would have been good to see some beefy monster size guys to be honest :D (not disrespecting the natural smaller weight category bodybuilders who obviously work as hard as the big guys, just the public perception of what is a "bodybuilder" is not all that interested in the smaller weight categories)
JP
Site Admin

Postby seasiren » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for posting. I ran across it yesterday when I was pulling up something else on my phone and was pleasantly surprised. Not fond of the way the article reads (of course I'm not fond of the NYT), but glad to see it. I knew everyone except the gal on the left, so seeing them in there was great :)
seasiren

Postby Mellos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Still a great article considering the (most likely) positive image that an uninvolved reader might perceive when reading it.
Current PBs:
195 kg SQ, 130 kg Bench, 245 kg DL, 200 kg SQ w/ wraps

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 267,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 710
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights