Al's Race log- cycling

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Al's cycling log.

Postby Alistar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:36 am

Cheers guys! Yeah just wish I was a bit sharper as I should have been 5mins quicker if I had a bit more climbing(/general) fitness.

Yeah bit of a pathetic showing in parts. The climbs were so steep, my 28 on the back was too big and my cadence was so slow, my stability wasn't that great. As soon as my front wheel hit a rock or went into small rutts I'd lose my line, momentum and then I'd be walking again :oops: Or lose traction and spin the backwheel. The topo map looked so nice and smooth too :P

Put my seat up before I left to be more like my mtb as I've been feeling its been a bit low on my roadie for quite awhile especially climbing while seated (my cranks are shorter). Just went for ride up to the SOK and thought I'd check where they'd closed the Summit Rd. Assumed it was just a few hundred m past the SOK at Vic Park? but was stoked I could bike all the way around to the Rapaki Track :D before reading the sign I'd be liable for a $5000 fine or 3months in prison or both if i continued past the barriers(not that I wanted to) :shock:
Wind was scarily strong, bordering on a bit dangerous up on the Summit Rd, so got to SOK in 1hr3

Fitness is pretty crap, so by the time I got home was tired and I felt I'd done enough so went inside and found my easychair.

50km 2hr2:44 24.4kph Av 76.8kph Max
37 34 22 134Av 169m

50km 2hr2:
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:32 am

Pissing down with rain yesterday and cold, so no work. Yay! So had to drive into town to send off the Christmas presents and get summer haircuts for the kids, and me for Christmas. Heading to the Summer spot Nelson(nz's highest sunshine hrs :D ) in a few days, where they've just had the worst flooding in over a 100yrs so hopefully I can still bike to the places I wanted to go(namely the 760m Takaka hill which is really big for NZ ) as lots of roads are/were covered in slips
No cyclists out except for 1 guy who just happens to be one of 2guys in Canterbury home for the offseason who happens to be a pro. Maybe there's something in that? But then he's more a classics riders so probably thinks "Great! This is just like Flanders, and in Summer, what a treat!" :wink:

Had the morning off so just went out for a short blast to lyttelton and home. HR was through the roof even though I felt I was taking it easy. But so well rested from hardly any riding at least my power wasn't as bad as expected up the climbs. Passed 3 cyclists up the top of the 1st hill who were just getting going after a stop so went harder than I would have down the hill pedalling all the way and on the flat into a cool Sou' Westerly headwind. That gave them the slip. Then my cell went off so had to stop up the top of bitch 1 heading to Gov's so wasn't long before the 3 cyclists huffed and puffed past me. Was 30secs before I got off the ph so chased them hard knowing they'd be going up Dyers whereas I'd be turning off. Legs felt strong but heart and lungs were having trouble keeping up so nearly maxed out the HR up bitch2 but good to catch 2 of them :wink:

Anyway got to Lyttelton and noticed heaps of families hanging out in this beautified vacant lot from one of the numerous demo'd buildings next to a pumping cafe (suppose not a lot of competition now which this cafe is probably stoked about, as the town is just a shell of its former self :cry: )

Got home and quite surprised at my time as it was a lot better than expected. Thought I'd be closer to 1hr50

1hr39:56 46.46km 27.8kph Av 70kph max
12 38 49pc 147a 182m

Got a new HR monitor(still can't afford or justify a p meter) mainly to help with intervals and keep tabs on overdoing it which I'm quite good at :wink: . Annoyingly it coincidentally worked out my exact right maxHR due to age and weight! :o Which means of its 3zones it records 2 are where I normally sit on the flat 130bpm and on the hills 150 so keeps going beep beep beep whenever I go from one HR zone to another which is nearly constantly! Will have to pretend I'm younger to get my maxHR up so the 3 zones are where I think the should be, instead of the arbitary place(IMO) they now sit. Then at least the beeps will tell me something I may want to know :wink:
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 am

My usual training buddy is headed to Nelson on Monday. He knows all the trails and will probably have a road bike with him too. Let me know if you want someone to ride with there and I can probably hook you up with him. Actually I think he is in Blenheim first and the Nelson later in the week. He'll be doing some brevet training :)
Mr. Cleetus

Postby Alistar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks for that Mr C, but he sounds way too proficient for me atm. :D
Are there any trails left?! :shock: Also taking the roadie could be a good idea. Wow! 768mm of rain at Golden bay in 24hrs is just ridiculous

Good to hear we'll be holidaying in another state of emergency location though :roll: :lol: You just got to laugh really! Was looking forward to swimming at the beaches too :( At least the Takaka hill is still open though :D
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I've been thinking about power meters too, maybe in another 10 years when the price of the pedal systems has fallen a bit ;-)

Have a great holiday Al!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for the holiday wishes Bob! It didn't disappoint! :D Had a great time!
Yeah I love the idea of those pm pedals...drool

Btw don't ever go to "The Indian Cafe" in Nelson. Couldn't make anything vegan! :x "Little India" were much more accommodating.

Oh well had a great time in Nelson between 2 lots of flooding 8) Weather was great. A really comfortable 23degrees everyday and strong sunshine. Man the sun is ridiculously strong up there. One year I took my top off playing tennis for about 30mins and the rest of the time had to go swimming in a t shirt I was so burnt. Lot more carefull this time and I did some good work getting the tan lines on the arms at least not so noticeable.
Kids lived in the pool at the place which was good as couldn't go swimming in the sea the 1st few days. Was good seeing the youngest really getting a lot more confident by the end.

Hardly any evidence of the "massive devastation" I was half expecting from the news reports. Apart from a few slips here and there that had mainly been already cleaned up very little evidence. Anyway after the sun comes out water drains away pretty quickly.

Went for lots of rides. Cool having real cycle lanes away from the road too. In ChCh they just paint a strip on the road in the "door zone" and call it a cycleway :roll:

Anyway went for 7rides while there. Had a beautiful 100k ride out to the Rai Valley over a couple of big hills. All covered in mainly mature Pine, and some Native forest. (However won't look so good in a couple of yrs when the trees get harvested :( )
Had crystal clear river running at the side of the road a lot of the way, which was just beautiful. Don't think I've ever seen a river that clear before! Passed a few cycle tourists going both ways which was good to see. However seemed to time my ride just right as there were lots of big trucks going in the other direction. Wouldn't have been much fun on some of the narrow sections with convoys of trucks up your arse!
Most of the other rides were just fifty k rides in the local area. One cycle lane was really cool going right through a vinyard. You could reach over and pick the grapes if they were ready. Unfortunately they weren't :(

Best ride was from Richmond to Motueka and up to the top of the Takaka hill. Took some back roads on the way there which was really nice. Very fertile area with a great warm sunny climate so one of the best growing areas in NZ. Heaps of veggie, berry, orchard and Vinyards as well as one of the major hop growing areas around Motueka. Had a great ride up the Takaka hill though. Its 13k's long but I only did 10k's as they last 3 k's are a bit up and down. Gradient isn't too steep except for very bottom so could keep up a good speed. Took me 41mins to the top.
Fantastic descent though. Nice road, long sweeping (and some quite tight) corners. But was a little anoying catching up to cars and then getting slowed down on the corners. So had to stop a few times so they could get ahead of me and not impede my progress 8)
At the base looked at my speedo and was surprised to see 70k's already on the CC. So had another 56k's to get back to Nelson( my ride had finished his shorter distance and gone home) which was the longest ride I've done in ages. Got a bit excited on the way out so started to run out of energy after about 90k's having only taken an apple and 1 bidon of sportsdrink and no money with me :roll: So got slower and slower. My CC made overseas couldn't handle the vibration of the NZ course chip and went blank which was good as I would have been embarrased at the speed I was keeping :lol: Direct seabreeze headwind for the last sixteen k's so was crawling by the time I got home mainly due to lactic acid buildup and/or dehydration as 1.5litres for nearly 5hrs was nowhere near enough. Didn't bonk but must have been close. :D So 4hr41 ride.
Just under 400km on the clock for the holiday so was good to make it over the 6000km for the year. So much easier getting motivated cycling in a new area. Would have been much harder not cycling :D

Another highlight was hanging out on Tahunanui beach and going swimming in the sea which was really nice and warm. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to with the beaches having been closed at first due to the flooding. Much warmer than it is down here. As we filled up with petrol on the way out it started spitting which progressively got worse but by the time we reached ChCh it was hardly raining. Just had the cold air to deal with istead :x

Quite shocked to hear of another couple of large eq's in Christchurch while on holiday. A 5.8 and a mag 6.0( 15,000tonnes TNT equivalent) directly underr New Brighton beach on Dec 23rd. Bit like groundhog day so wasn't sure what we'd go home to. The Grandparents are still up North so was good being able to get to their house 1st and cleanup. The grandmother is very traumatised by the quakes and would have been badly affected having to see that damage. Was much worse than I expected with stuff all over the floor. Their house is getting demo'd btw as the foundation block it sits on is cracked right through even though the rest of it is very strong being a good quality house with very solid and thick reinforced concrete walls built in the mid 90's.
So after seeing that was surprised that our own house had very little damage. Just a few photo frames kitchen stuff and a few broken wine glasses. But I suppose it was only a mag6 and 13k's away in a direct line which is a bit furthur away than the other mag6's we've had :)

Just means the eq's have woken up again after a reasonable quiet period. Only felt one decent quake since I've been back, a loud mag4.3 the night we got home. Was a bit annoyed I missed a mag4.8 today by just a few mins as I was driving :P

Anyway happy New year. Have a good one! :D
Alistar

Postby bob_summers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Some good work done there Al, getting a few rides in on your holibobs. I usually have to go without.
Feel really sorry for your gramps, I can understand the distress (on the other hand you seem to quite enjoy them!)

Urte Berri on!
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah at least with them being a bit furthur away from us (generally) they're not quite as sharp. Still give a good shake though if they're big enough. Had a swarm of 29eq's or something during the night with some 4's and 5's with a lot 3's in b/t which was a little disconcerting. Was more like being on a ship in the ocean than on solid ground which was quite strange.

1st ride of the yr today which was just to work and back. All that flat riding and low gradient hills haven't helped my hill riding here much though, where its a bit steeper. But was good to get a few decent rides under the belt while away.
Bit slow on the way there but was taking it pretty easy keeping the HR in check. Got passed by a guy who was doing laps of the Nationals course(rec rider I think, as he wasn't that much faster) on way back which is being held here this weekend. Should be an interesting race as a testing course. Few guys injured and not racing, so new Garmin pro should take it out.

1hr2:34there 58:50 back 2hrs1:24 51.3kms
Dyers Govs 16:25
Dyers SOK 18:35
Last hill 4:25
140 A 177m
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks Bob btw (sorry forgot what "urti berri on" was). Yeah Urti Berri on to you too!

Worked in the morning then went home and picked up the kids and went to Sumner Beach( past "totally shagged" rock). Hardly anyone there. Think all of Christchurch is holidaying elsewhere! Couldn't believe how cold the water was! Very refreshing though 8)

Felt like rubbish on todays ride when I got home from the beach( my eldest cooked tea so I didn't have to :D ).Anyway think there must be something wrong with me! Legs were just really heavy the whole ride and struggled up all the hills. I think I was fatigued from the intensity of my commute on Tuesday which is a bit sad. Just did an out and back along the Summit Rd to the barriers and back via Gebbies. Really fatigued by the time I got to the last hill which I wasn't expecting. :(

Oh well all booked in for the "Around the Mountain ride" up at Taranaki. :) Its a fundraiser for a velodrome up there (knew it was for something important :oops: ), so a good cause. Most people enter the commercial event a couple of weeks later so usually only about 180 enter rec riders enter the one I'm doing. However on present form will be just trying to finish under 5hrs(winners around 4hr7 in good conditions but depends on wind). Just have to make sure I don't ride stupid and I should be alright.

13:40 Wheatsheaf
18:30 Gebbies
25:27 top
43:50 top of the bastard
1hr3 SOK
1hr15 to barriers
1hr27 SOK
1hrs50 top Gebbs
4min40 last hill

56km 2hr17:40 24.41Av
35 39 19 138A 171M
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 pm

What a difference a few days make! Not sure if it was being inspired by watching the countries best cyclists thrash themselves up hills for 5hrs or what, but my legs were so much better today(Sunday). Perhaps it was just my legs having to readjust to hillier topography again, but actually felt really good for a change for the 1st 2.5hrs. A lot faster than on Thursday at same HR but legs started tying up halfway up the final lap of Bastard and struggled home managing my speed so I didn't blow up proper. Perception was starting to go in last 30minutes which always feels a bit weird when flying down hills at 70kph+ and hoping you're still judging things right!

Wheatsheaf 13:03
Gebbies 16:51/17:06 top 23:28
Bastard 40:46
SOK 59:03 bottom 1hr05:38
1hr59:28 Blue Duck
2hr13:13 Gebbies top 2hrs21:16
Top Bastard 2hrs31:30
SOK 2hrs53:25
Last hill 5:15

3hrs27:45 90.6km 26.1kph Av
28 42 27 144A 183M 2180kCal

Oh well had a good day sitting on the steepest part of Dyers pass I could find watching a cycle race today(Sunday). This is last yrs but gives you an indication of the steepess of the course if you look at the retaining walls at the side of the street. It really hurts at pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJ2-b7UYZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idfnLz0gbTA

Anyway first thing you hear this year is that Jesse Sergent at the start has set the pace at 59kph! So it was all go from the gun. And race was 5minutes faster than last yr and a new course record. Looked harder and tougher than last year. Crazy to see local riders who are fantastic up hills, and incredibly strong compared to me (that I wish I was as good as), with pain all over their faces grimacing in agony and starting to drift back after 4laps or laps out of 12. Quite mindblowing to realise how strong the top guys are. Then think about the step up to pro ranks. :?

Only 13 finished the rest including a hell of a lot of good riders unable to handle the pace on a brutal course especially the speeds these guys were going. :shock:

Garmin guy got caught on the wrong side of a break with some very strong riders in it early on including the eventual winner, then perhaps may have worked a bit hard on flat to regather it, and so couldn't handle the pace on the last couple of climbs? Was running the highest cadence out of anyone up the climbs so has changed his style, looked about 110! But then it’s not a good time of year to be at your peak considering the Nth hemisphere season. So perhaps was trying to make up for a lack of top end power to save his legs?
But then he did say prior "it's hard to win a race in New Zealand with the level of riders we have now. We have a fair few who are at a really decent level. You have to going great on the day to win. The climb [up Dyers Pass Road] is long enough to put anyone in trouble. It's 1.6km long and the gradient is crazy. It wears you down, but if you have any gas left it's also a good place to put in an attack." Oh well at least he finished. A lot didn't.

Race was won by this young guy Vink who totally dominated. Was in all the breaks, and then 2 climbs to go cleared out again after the guy from US based Bissel pro team he was with blew up and so TT'd by himself at up to 52kph (according to the reports) to the finish. However the chasers were catching him pretty fast whittling his lead down to 6seconds at the end so still pretty exciting at the finish. :)
Last edited by Alistar on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:31 am

Good riding Al!

lemme get that straight, you are ANNOYED that you missed a 4.8??? Can we put you on the news saying that :P
Mr. Cleetus

Postby bob_summers » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Interesting point about peaking, if a home race like that is your priority in summer, then off to Europe in our summer where you obviously wanna win... it makes it a loooong season!
Obviously can be compared to the Euro guys going to TDU, but are they really peaking for that? Cavendish (for example, I know he's not at TDU) is still fat from too many mince pies at xmas...
bob_summers

Postby Alistar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 am

Mr. Cleetus wrote:Good riding Al!

lemme get that straight, you are ANNOYED that you missed a 4.8??? Can we put you on the news saying that :P

Ha ha! Actually at the time it was a true-ish statement as I hadn't felt one for awhile so it was kind of novel and exciting again, if that makes any sense. After getting woken up with a start after a couple more 4+'s I was soon totally over them again though :oops:
bob_summers wrote: but are they really peaking for that? Cavendish (for example, I know he's not at TDU) is still fat from too many mince pies at xmas...

Yeah that was Julian Dean at nationals last yr. He looked quite porky as if he was sporting a bit of a beer belly! Obviously enjoying the off season. How he even finished in the top 10, in that state I'll never know. :?
Roulston who won last yr, then had a crap season through illness and injury didn't even bother this yr. No point putting all that pressure on yourself to win the Nat jersey, if you then can't perform where it matters. He's using the TDU sensibly as a buildup hopefully to bigger and better things.

Oh well had a bit of a bike around New Plymouth today. My CC is stuffed, must have a loose connection somewhere, so no idea how far I rode. Just did a small loop out along the coast and back for about 90mins from home to Omata to Bell Block. Sea and surf looked nice. Even saw a roadie out today! Followed him for awhile until he turned off. He wasn't too bad, and glad I didn't try to pass him or would have gone into the red too much trying to drop him :)
Alistar

Postby Alistar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 am

Had a nice 10 to 15k? odd ride with my old Dad on Thursday to buy some avocado's for nacho's and then along the waterfront walk/cycleway along the beach checking out the wild surf. Fantastic. Was good to get him out exercising. He's actuallly in pretty good shape for his age. But could do with getting out a bit more and get the blood flowing.

Had my race today doing a circuit around the mountain( 153km). Actually went pretty well considering my inconsistant training with no strength work. Blowing a Westerly gale and pissing down with rain in typical West coast style. Meant we had crosswinds out to Opunaki then tail on the false flat to Kaponga/Eltham and a tough headwind on way back from Stratford. I bridged up to the front 10 or so guys after Okato realising it would be the bunch that would stick with one of NZ's best riders in it( he was showing his support for the local velodrome and treating it as a bit of a training ride). I was yo yoing off the back most of the way to Opunake maxing out as didn't have the strength. Thought I'd get a tow and then cruise along by myself until the next bunch arrived. Was really hard keeping the HR down. The next bunch didn't arrive as expected so rode 60km by myself past Stratford.
Passed the NZ gun before eltham as he was fixing a puncture. Passed me just out of Stratford in the headwind conditions and rode straight past and within 5minutes had disapeared into the distance like a one man bunch. Couldn't believe how much time he'd gained on me by the finish 40k's away. I got picked up by a small bunch of 3 and we worked well to the finish. So good to be able to share the work and go a decent speed. Was starting to really struggle to keep up with them the last 20k's and was agony up the last few hills. On the very last hill noticed my front tyre was nearly flat(about 10psi) due to a slow puncture when I got off the seat so didn't quite make it with them so rode by myself in last 2k's to the finish coaxing and willing my bike to get over the finishline.
Totally stuffed by the end.
Looking at my HR its no surprise. Spent 79% or 3hr34 over a HR of 155. Due to adrenaline and race conditions got to a new HRmax highscore of 195! My old record was 187 sprinting up steep hills,but never wore a monitor in races.

Came 15th in the end overall with a time of 4hr29:57

4hrs29 153km 34.1 kph Av
2 19 79 162A 195M 3398KCal's :shock:
Last edited by Alistar on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alistar

Postby Mr. Cleetus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:00 am

Well done Al! It cannot have been fun in that wind. :|
Mr. Cleetus

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs