Zinc and Magnesium

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Zinc and Magnesium

Postby sixthe » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 pm

So I haven't been sleeping well, and someone suggested it's from a lack of zinc and/or magnesium and I was just wondering what the best food sources would be?

Also, I take a multivitamin, but it doesn't have very much of either, so should I be supplementing them as well?
sixthe

Re: Zinc and Magnesium

Postby baldy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I suspect they meant you should try ZMA -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMA_(supplement)
Its a very common supplement to take just before bed that is meant to improve the quality of your sleep. You can get it from any supplement store, or just get Magnesium and Zinc separately then take them together just before bed.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:40 pm

sixthe wrote:So I haven't been sleeping well, and someone suggested it's from a lack of zinc and/or magnesium and I was just wondering what the best food sources would be?

Also, I take a multivitamin, but it doesn't have very much of either, so should I be supplementing them as well?

If the problem persists you may to read this book. I had serious problems with insomnia 6 years ago and this book helped me settle it over a few months, without drugs:

Say Goodnight To Insomnia

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby sixthe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 am

baldy wrote:I suspect they meant you should try ZMA -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMA_(supplement)
Its a very common supplement to take just before bed that is meant to improve the quality of your sleep. You can get it from any supplement store, or just get Magnesium and Zinc separately then take them together just before bed.

Thanks! Hopefully it will help (but wouldn't it make more sense to call it ZMB?)

And thanks for the book recommendation, beforewisdom. If it gets worse, I'll definitely check that out.
sixthe

Postby sosso » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:42 am

I used to take ZMA. Had good sleep and some crazy dreams.
sosso

Postby powerlifer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Pumpkin seeds are a good source of both zinc and magnesium.

Many beans even baked beans are a good source of zinc.

Pretty much all nuts are good sources of magnesium and to a lesser degree zinc.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby beforewisdom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:40 pm

I followed Baldy's wikipedia links. I didn't see anything about sleep, but wikipedia said that studies of the the supplement didn't show any benefit for bodybuilding.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby sixthe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 pm

sosso wrote:I used to take ZMA. Had good sleep and some crazy dreams.

Well that just sounds like fun :D

beforewisdom wrote:I followed Baldy's wikipedia links. I didn't see anything about sleep, but wikipedia said that studies of the the supplement didn't show any benefit for bodybuilding.

Still, as long as it doesn't have negative side effects, might as well try it?

Also, I never considered pumpkin seeds! I'll try 'em
sixthe

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating