Comment on blog in this message and blogger will go vegan...

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Comment on blog in this message and blogger will go vegan...

Postby DC Runner » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:17 pm

This vegetarian blogger claims he'll go vegan if he receives 500 comments for or against the idea. The comments all need to be made by Jan 1, 2012. Pass it on and make your comment.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/ ... solutions/
DC Runner

Re: Comment on blog in this message and blogger will go vega

Postby Frostfire » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Eh, I have a hard time supporting someone who will only go vegan if its popular enough?! They should go vegan for themselves and for the animals they will be saving first and not worry about what other think about it :?
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby Frostfire » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Okay, I responded anyway! This is what I said:

First off, I'm for going vegan because there is no such thing as "mindfully produced dairy or meat". It doesn't matter how painlessly you might kill an animal, you are KILLING them. Its the end result that is wrong. Dairy is the same, to get milk you have to have a pregnant or nursing cow, goat, etc. Isn't that milk for their baby? How "mindful" is it to take milk away from a baby, or even keep a mom producing after her infant has been weened. Go vegan because you think it is right and how you should live, not because you get a strong postitive response from all of us! If you only go because its "popular", then you are in it for the wrong reasons.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby vegan hal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Dear Frosty! you're 100% spot on! no one will stick to it unless they do it for the right reasons.
vegan hal

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Reading comments on blogs related to veganism always makes me facepalm.
you're going to get really fat from carbs and really weak muscles! it may take you more than a year to recover. don't do it dude!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Catt Queen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:11 pm

If he seriously wanted to do it he'd just do it. There's no need for theatrics and attention seeking.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:24 pm

DC Runner wrote:This vegetarian blogger claims he'll go vegan if he receives 500 comments for or against the idea. The comments all need to be made by Jan 1, 2012. Pass it on and make your comment.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/ ... solutions/

Sounds like a scam to draw traffic to his site.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby Konstantin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 pm

They got the 500 anyway. Which has got to be a good thing.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby DC Runner » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 pm

FF - I hear what you're saying, but I have to disagree. People go vegan for different reasons. I didn't go vegan for the animals, but that's the main reason I'm vegan now so in the end, it didn't matter. If someone promises to go vegan for a year for whatever reason, who cares what the reason is? Fewer animals will suffer and that's what matters. By turning people away just because you don't like their reason, you make veganism less appealing. People tell me all the time that vegans seem elitist and veganism is intimidating. I can see why they might think that after reading these comments. Don't we want to attract more people?
DC Runner

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:37 pm

DC Runner wrote: By turning people away just because you don't like their reason, you make veganism less appealing.

I didn't see FF as turning anyone away from anything. I saw a man, possibly doing a gimmick to draw traffic to his blog or draw attention to himself. I saw FF capitalizing on that gimmick to draw his ( & other people's ) attention to other reasons for eating a vegan diet.......deeper reasons that may increase the likelihood of him continuing to eat a vegan diet.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby DC Runner » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:00 pm

You can offer other reasons for a vegan diet without telling someone they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Like I said in my earlier post, I didn't go vegan for the animals. If someone had told me I was doing it for the wrong reasons at the time of my conversion, I would have been offended and most-likely would have gone back to what I was eating. I met vegans that gave additional reasons to maintain my diet without telling me I was wrong and over time, I became a vegan for ethical reasons. I've been doing this for 4.5 years now and although it's nothing too impressive, I can say without a doubt that I will be vegan for life.

So maybe this was set up to draw attention to this person's blog - who cares? He is putting veganism in the spotlight. Thoughtful comments to the post might even convince other readers to convert to a vegan diet.

If you don't agree with me then I'm sorry I wasted your time. But think about how you might react if you were on the other side. Forget about what you know now.
DC Runner

Return to General Discussion