15 weeks until a marathon - possible?

For all kinds of running related discussions, from sprinting to marathon, training to equipment. Also the forum for international <a href="http://www.veganrunners.org">veganrunners.org</a> network.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

15 weeks until a marathon - possible?

Postby Bounce » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 am

I started running around March last year and I've ran the Bristol Half Marathon in early September and the Great Eastern Run half marathon in mid October...

Thing is, since then, relationship plus extremely busy life meant I stopped training (crap excuse I know, though I'm single now)... The past week I've been hitting the gym again to reclaim my fitness...

I had a place in the Brighton Marathon, which is on 14th April and I wasn't going to go due to falling out of training, but I bumped in to two old mates last night who are also runners and who said I can train for a marathon in 15 weeks and should still go for it.

What do you think? Is this possible for a relatively new runner?

The calorie intake scare me, as I'd like to lose more weight (already lost over 40lb), but it looks like I'll have to eat a lot more... Can you train for a marathon and lose weight?

Note: I have a disability which affects my co-ordination, so I'm a slower, but determined runner... I'd like to finish a marathon in under 6 hours.
Bounce

Re: 15 weeks until a marathon - possible?

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 am

Yes easily possible, you are not a beginner anymore with 2 half marathons under your belt last year.
I did a 10 week build up and felt it was fine, the normal cycle for a marathon is about 12 weeks if I remember correctly assuming you have a decent base (which you probably do).

The plan I followed is here -> viewtopic.php?t=13834 hope it gives you some ideas. I probably still have the spreadhseet if you want it. Most importantly start a training log, its always great seeing someone build up to a marathon.

Don't let the calories scare you, the amount of running you will be doing, you will lose weight.
Sorry your relationship didn't work out, you need to find one that compliments your training and doesn't take away from it :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Bounce » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 am

lol yes, she was very demanding and I felt a bit low after... Plus I ended up getting run down in my time off... Twice!

So even after 2 months being a lazy bugger, I can realistically complete this?

I'm off for a slow run soon, around 5K and am gonna build from that (I managed a 5.8K a few weeks ago, running and walking) and I'm gonna throw in a Body Pump (weight training) session to get stronger and maybe some swimming...

Though I can no way jump straight back to 13 miles after such a long break... I know if I can get to 11-12 miles again by week 7, I can add 2 miles per week to get to 21-22 miles and then taper for the last 3 weeks...

I'm sure if you return to running, you get fitter quicker than when you first started?
Bounce

Postby Konstantin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 pm

I think you can do it, although it sounds as though the preparation is not ideal. If you can run 9 slowly now, it shouldn't be much problem.

My feeling is that the key is the weekly long run, which should increase by about 10% a week and peak at around 20-22 miles 3 weeks out. This means you have 12 weeks to get by small increases up to 20 miles.

But that's how I see it. Perhaps more relevant is the question over your future disruptions. Your training has been sidetracked - are things different now? As you're on a tight schedule, can you commit to this schedule?

As an aside, I would look to drop the cross training fairly soon. Your mileage increase will take a lot of energy and that has to be #1 priority. And weight loss? You will need to eat more to stop the weight coming off. Eat well and don't make loss a priority.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby ross88guy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 pm

All the above answers seems to have covered everything that I was going to say!

With two half marathons under your belt you should be confident enough to know that you are a pretty good runner and with a little bit more training you shouldn't have a problem pushing that HM fitness up a level. Brighton is a good course so you have picked a good race to run!

Best of luck with the training!

2012 Running Goals:
Sub 39min 10k
Sub 1:25 Half Marathon
Blog - Running Jackets
ross88guy

Postby Bounce » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:11 pm

To be honest, I think that I'm going to book myself on a marathon later in the year, as I don't feel fit at the moment and to be honest, I don't know if I'll have time to commit and I'm feeling a bit demotivated in general with life (that and scared of injury)... I'm not in the best mindset...

Think I'll spend the next few months conditioning my body and hopefully shedding another 14 lbs... I'll run gently, aiming for 1/2 at the beginning of summer and maybe a full marathon at the end...
Bounce

Postby Anton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm

mate, i say do it. went on my first run on sunday!
Anton

Return to Vegan Runners