Canned Tomato Paste and BPA

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Canned Tomato Paste and BPA

Postby jamesndawson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:54 pm

I read that tomatoe paste has the highest concentration of lycopenes of all tomatoe products, so I've been trying to have a tablespoon a day or as often as I remember.
But all the TP I've found is in cans with the white inside lining. This I understand has BPA in it, which I've heard on the news is bad for you.
I'm currently trying to work my way through the Wikipedia article and discussion pages on it, but it's pretty technical and slow-going---a back and forth pro and con, he said-she said.
In the meantime, what do you think? Are the bad effects of BPA exaggerated? Do you avoid canned foods and other foods packaged in plastics? In the case of tomatoe paste, do the benefits of a tablespoon a day outweigh the risks of BPA contamination?
I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
James
jamesndawson

Re: Canned Tomato Paste and BPA

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:00 pm

James;

There are one or two scientists on this board, but you are basically asking for the opinion of non-expert informed by popular articles over the arguments of the educated experts in some of the material you are reading.

Eating tomato paste straight off of a spoon for your health isn't any less intense than simply buying whole tomatoes.
beforewisdom

Re: Canned Tomato Paste and BPA

Postby jamesndawson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks bw, but I'm a little confused by your reply. I didn't think tomatoe paste was "less" intense than raw tomatoes, but more. That it contains more lycopenes, and more bio-available than raw tomatoes, because it's concentrated and cooked.
I didn't just hear/read this from non-experts, but from Jack Norris in his book Vegan for Life, which I believe you've recommended. (I'm in the process of reading it and enjoying it.)
My question is whether the risk of BPA is outweighed by the benefits of the tomatoe paste, or whether all the bad press about BPA is "hype".
James
jamesndawson

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating