What are you eating for xmas?

Share your tasty and/or healthy recipes here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

What are you eating for xmas?

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Busy planning my xmas eating for the next couple of days. Got a redwoods turkey roll thing, not holding out much hope on it though.

To go with it going to make some punk rock chickpea gravy out of vegan with a vengeance. Looking at recipes for brussel sprout and chestnuts. Almost maybe some kind of stuffing.
Loads of mince pies with soya cream.

What is everyone else planning?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: What are you eating for xmas?

Postby beforewisdom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 pm

There is a tradition in the U.S. of Jews going out for Chinese food on xmas.

I'm atheist, but every year I tag along with a group of Baltimore Jewgans on xmas to a stellar Chinese restaurant called Mr. Chan's.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby vegan hal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:11 pm

that's funny. i remember finding out about the Jewish Chinese Christmas tradition when i moved here from the UK in '76.

as for me. i saw the wife has a giant tofurky in the freezer. so if I've been "good," i guess i'll get some of that and various homemade fixings. but it'll be a quiet one as she has to work and i visited the family last weekend.

Baldy, you will certainly make us proud and no doubt gain a few kg's over the holiday.
vegan hal

Postby ninearms » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:42 pm

This on Christmas Eve, chestnut risotto on Christmas Day, and gnocchi with chorizo and baby broad beans on Boxing Day.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Goob » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:31 am

Chickpea curry and pumpkin pie for dessert.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby loveliberate » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:51 am

Being neither a christian nor a capitalist, christmas is nothing to celebrate. Now the fact that the christian capitalists have declared it a holiday that I get paid double-time for working? That I am fairly fond of! :twisted:
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 pm

^ awesome.

I do like celebrating whenever I can.
We are likely to get together with family and have Tofurkey. We always get Tofurkey.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby chewybaws » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:05 pm

baldy wrote:Got a redwoods turkey roll thing, not holding out much hope on it though.

I'm in the same position I bought one but haven't put in thought of what to have with it. Prob just loads of mashed tatties and gravy. Shloer to drink. Alpro chcolate desserts. Generally for over the holidays I've ordered a bunch of redwood stuff. Got hot dogs, chicken burgers, quarter pounders, mince etc. Having mince and tatties post workout the noo.

Oh aye, how's your cider coming along?
was there a time we weren't at war; when we knew what our hearts and hands were for?
chewybaws

Postby baldy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:19 pm

chewybaws wrote:
baldy wrote:Got a redwoods turkey roll thing, not holding out much hope on it though.

I'm in the same position I bought one but haven't put in thought of what to have with it. Prob just loads of mashed tatties and gravy. Shloer to drink. Alpro chcolate desserts. Generally for over the holidays I've ordered a bunch of redwood stuff. Got hot dogs, chicken burgers, quarter pounders, mince etc. Having mince and tatties post workout the noo.trendy

Oh aye, how's your cider coming along?

That is what I do most years and it never comes together so this year I have decided to take more charge. Linda Mc Cartney sausages, good gravy, loads of roasted veggies.
Some fancy chestnut and cranberry stuff from tescos. Going to also try the new trendy shredded brussel sprouts with chestnuts.
Then lots of desert options, been busy in the kitchen this afternoon making brownies, swedish glaze is in the freezer along with alpro custard and cream in the fridge.

Drink wise we have 10 litres of my home brew cider left (sampled it last week, its very strong and very fizzy but lasts a little dry) plus maybe a few cheeky soya milk white russians which I can pretend are for the protein content.

Amped for xmas.

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Konstantin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm

One of those big chunks of cheatin' turkey, although to be honest I'd be happy with just veg as long as i get to eat lots.

My Mum makes a great nut roast which is always something to look forward to.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby vCLaW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 pm

I'll probably make some sort of nut roast. Maybe a chestnut roast if I can find some chestnuts tomorrow. Plus the usual roast veg, brussel sprouts, stuffing, gravy etc.

For dessert probably a Christmas pudding, with cream or ice cream. I'll make some mince pies sometime as well.
vCLaW

Postby JP » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:42 am

we had the man xmas meal yesterday here in finland.

morning weight was 107, evening after the feast 111.2kg so i guess i did eat a bit :D

we had:
xmas ham, made the swedish recipe from seitan flour etc
karelian roast, made from soya chunks, very tasty
traditional oven dishes like carrot/rice thing, sweden oven dish, potatoes
+ tons of other things

later ice cream, chocolates and these star shaped buns, awesome!
JP
Site Admin

Postby sosso » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:16 am

Nut roast, roast potato, sweet potato, beans, zucchini, carrots, gravy, ginger beer..

Berry creme tart
Last edited by sosso on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sosso

Postby Catt Queen » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:15 pm

My brother in law is making me a beany pastry roll thing with herbs...don't know what it's called but will eat it with LOADS of veggies :mrgreen:
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Goob » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:05 pm

sosso wrote:Image
Nut roast, roast potato, sweet potato, beans, zucchini, carrots, gravy, ginger beer..

Berry creme tart

So jealous...my food never looks that good :|
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Next

Return to Vegan Recipes