Fat loss group?

Any queries about vegan diet, nutrition, dieting, bulking and healthy eating in general. Diets and food from vegan perspective.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Fat loss group?

Postby mabli » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:25 am

LvH wrote:
Talyn wrote:10-15 lbs is quite a lot to lose in just one month. You might be better off taking longer, if that's your goal.

mabli you look slender in your avatar already! But you know what is best for you, I'm happy to have you join, and you can help us beat the bulkers! I know it can be very difficult to stop eating something you are used to, like cake

That was taken last year, before my cake obsession began... I really just like making them so i often give them away but i dont have enough folk to give them to so end up eating them
mabli

Postby VeganGraham » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:49 pm

You make cakes faster than you can give them away ? :shock:

I need to move to North Wales.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:18 pm

On second thoughts, I'm doing OK here in Worcestershire. :D

Image Image Image

Remember, cake can help slimming only as part of a calorie controlled diet.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:15 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:On second thoughts, I'm doing OK here in Worcestershire. :D

Image Image Image

Remember, cake can help slimming only as part of a calorie controlled diet.
:D :D Ive seen you cake pics on fb... I reckon if you were a near neighbour I'd have no trouble at all getting rid of my cakes :)
mabli

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm on course to lose 2 stone by the end of January (I started at the beginning of Autumn). Here's how I'm doing it:

* Unilateral ban on ice cream and crisps.

* Snacking OK; frequent eating is better than big meals.

* Get up at 6am twice a week to do a 3 mile street run, plus hill walking and short fell runs where possible at weekends (time permitting).

Bear in mind that there's 4 factors in losing weight:

1. Decrease calorie intake
2. Increase exercise
3. Increase metabolism
4. Gain muscle

Metabolism rises when exercising, but what most people don't realise is that it STAYS high for hours afterwards. So don't just think 3 mile walk/run = 300 calories burned; it's actually more than that.

A more muscular body uses more energy to maintain ALL THE TIME, not just when exercising. So if you lose fat and gain muscle, you'll burn more energy even when fast asleep.
Hiking Fox

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:I'm on course to lose 2 stone by the end of January

That is 28 lbs for people who were born non-British :)

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby LvH » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 am

beforewisdom wrote:

Thanks beforewisdom :)

Hiking Fox that is awesome! Good reminder about the muscle / metabolism.
LvH

Postby Rach » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Fantastic cutting Hiking Fox.I am in on this.Long term goal to get to 60kg, drop 10% bodyfat.Short term goal get to 62 kg by February, started at 66kg, now 65.3kg.
Rach

Postby LvH » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 pm

That's great Rach!! :) There's another thread called "FAT LOSS CHALLENGE" where you can track your progress weekly with us!

It started as a one month challenge but I'm planning to keep it going longer. Hiking Fox and all others come on over if you like! 8)
LvH

Postby erikiva » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:15 am

Anyone still interested in this? I don't know where to start and I need to lose 10Kg (22 pounds?), I am not sure what I am doing wrong, apart from needing to start doing more exercise, I barely eat processed foods, I basically cook stews with vegetables and legumes and I eat fruit, some nuts, I eat some white rice and the occasional cake but I can't see how that justifies the fact that I seem to put on more weight.

Any suggestions? Anyone knows of a diet and exercise plan that is good to get started?
erikiva

Postby jpowell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 pm

beforewisdom wrote:

or about 13kg for anyone who uses SI (international standard / decimal) units of measurement (metre, kilogram, second... the base dimensions of modern physics, and also the most widely applied outside of science in most countries due to their relative ease of use and calculation. All SI units for everything are decimal and can be expressed as powers of these three base dimensions :-p)
jpowell

Postby jpowell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:50 pm

FWIW I have come to believe strongly in the fairly widely held but possibly not universal or 100% rigorously proven exercise science meme that the fastest (NOT only) way to lose fat is by doing any type of interval training. The idea is that by doing several short (1-5min) bursts of maximal intensity exercise with short breaks in between, you will best effect hormonal changes leading to increased metabolism and "after burn" over the next 24-48 hours. As far as I know it doesn't matter much what type of high intensity exercise, can be heavy weights, low weight / resistance cardio, cycle sprints, running sprints, rowing/ergometer sprints, skipping, some kind of circuit training or rapidly repeated mixed body weight exercises .... whatever you like or find otherwise helpful. You can repeat interval training every 1-2 days. You will not need as much recovery as strength training or endurance training.

Also, I have found if I cook with oil, especially high polyunsaturated oil such as regular sunflower or canola, I can add 0.5kg to 1kg body weight in 24hours, even by consuming less than 100ml of oil and correcting for daily body weight fluctuation patterns. This weight comes off again quite quickly for me, and your mileage may vary here in terms of whatever metabolic effect is going on, but perhaps try:
- reducing or eliminating oil cooking (you can still have some oils in salad dressing, especially high oleic or high omega3 oils such as mustard seed, flaxseed, olive or avocado oil, and eat some oils from nuts); AND/OR
- use more monounsatured/high oleic oils for cooking, e.g. high oleic sunflower oil (made for food services industry, not sure how easy it is to buy retail), olive oil (problem is the low smoke point), or avocado oil; AND/OR
- use more saturated fats for cooking (e.g. coconut or red palm fruit oil, even macadamia oil which is about 20% saturated fat, reasonable monounsaturate content, some good antioxidants and a 7:1 w6:w3 ratio, relatively better than most vegetable oils)

Fat loss is not my main fitness goal, but it helps. Since December my average body weight has gone from about 85kg to 78kg while increasing muscle performance and looking noticeably slimmer (I would say surely a little under 10% body fat now). The loss will sound exaggerated, because I'm sure some of that is also loss of excess water weight by reducing sodium in my diet.

Hope that helps,

Jamie

P.S. 1kg = approx 2.2 lb. I think there is about 6.5-7kg to 1 stone, but you can do the arithmetic yourself ;-)
jpowell

Postby wannalift » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 pm

As I recover from shoulder tendinitis, I have been finding the most success for building muscle and losing fat with a zone-type of diet (30/30/40 protein/fat/carbs). I am only a four weeks into this, but my results so far are:

Calories: +300/day (averaged over the week)
Body weight: +2.5 lbs
Waist line: -0.5" (measured at widest part)

Yes, I have put on weight (muscle) and reduced my waist line (body fat) at the same time over the last 4 weeks. I keep track of all of my calories/ratios on a spreadsheet for the purpose of this experiment. Now, there is a major confounder here in that I started to do metcons 3x week 4 weeks ago, but I have done those in the past without having the same effect (increased body weight and reduced waist line). I feel like the biggest loss though was 1 week after I adapted the new diet likely lost some water weight with the reduced carb intake. My strength is way up as well and I am way ahead of schedule in terms of recovery for my upper body lifts while my lower body lifts are progressing faster than they were before.

Anyway, I plan on running this for another 8-weeks and will post my results. Right now I average around 3150 calories/day which is way higher than what I've seen recommended for this diet. I may scale that down, but will have to scale it back up when mtn biking season starts. I don't doubt there are sports (endurance, etc.) that would benefit from a higher carbohydrate intake, but maybe that's not the optimal diet for strength athletes or people who are trying to lost body fat in general? I would encourage people to experiment with their carbohydrate intake by replacing some of it with protein/fats to see if you get more optimal results. I have a lot more to say on the subject, but that will do for now.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby baldy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 am

wannalift wrote: Now, there is a major confounder here in that I started to do metcons 3x week 4 weeks ago,

Metcon sounds pretty vague, what exactly are you doing?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am

baldy wrote:
wannalift wrote: Now, there is a major confounder here in that I started to do metcons 3x week 4 weeks ago,

Metcon sounds pretty vague, what exactly are you doing?

I do these 3 x week at the end of my strength workouts. Right now:

Sun: Pull ups/Kettlebell swing/jump squats - 7/8/10 - 5 rounds (7-8 minutes)
Wed: Dead lift/one arm row/jump squats - 5/10/10 - 5 rounds (7-8 minutes)
Fri: Bear complex (Power clean/thruster/thruster x 7) - 5 rounds (11-12 minutes)

These have been awesome for conditioning. I am sure I would see positive results with or without any change in diet. What surprises me though is that I am making excellent strength/muscle gains along with the conditioning effects.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Diets, Nutrition and Healthy Eating