No more dreaming......Zofingen 2015

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Timanfaya Dreaming

Postby rattus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Always thought The Big Woody looks a cracking event.

The swim venue looks nice eh?

But a shame about split transitions for spectators.

Crazy value as well with IMUK and IMW cracking on for 400 squid.

The Outlaw is cheaper but has sold out already!

I guess the Sandy Balls event ticks the grassroots boxes too but The Woody somehow says <<Hardcore event>> to me. No fuss, just the event.
rattus

Postby IronGirl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 pm

rattus wrote:Always thought The Big Woody looks a cracking event.

The swim venue looks nice eh?

But a shame about split transitions for spectators.

Crazy value as well with IMUK and IMW cracking on for 400 squid.

The Outlaw is cheaper but has sold out already!

I guess the Sandy Balls event ticks the grassroots boxes too but The Woody somehow says <<Hardcore event>> to me. No fuss, just the event.

Hey Rattus hello!

The swim does look quite inviting. There is a long run up the bank to T1, I possibly need a pair of shoes at the bottom? Possibly chilly as well as it's so deep.......hoping it will be OK in August.

Yeah it's a real shame about the split transition. I almost did the half last year and the split put me off for a half. It seems more worth it for the full one.

Value is amazing. but I do like these no frills grassroot events. They remind me of old days of triathlons. :) Trevor at Blackshhep sports has a good reputation for these things. He used to do a really good winter trail running series in the forest, no messing just turn up and run. Sadly he's stopped doing them and also stopped the Eastnor Triathlon. I did my own version of that one for training last year, great course, real shame it's gone.

I considered the Outlaw until they brought this years date forward. I want to get a good race season under my belt this year, I'm really still building myself back into this. But yeah better value than M dot. Great venue that one and a good fast course, not surprised it's grown so fast.

I live pretty close to the Forest of Dean, I've done a lot of running in the forest. Biking wise wev'e done a fair bit of mountain biking over there but not much road biking in that area. I do know from driving down there that it's pretty lumpy (I think the organisers description is quite accurate...... undulating but not extreme). That said things do get magnified in an Ironman and it's going to be hardcore with a marathon to run afterwards. So not really the one to do for a fast time but street cred and bragging rights are enormous!!! 8) but have you seen The Brutal, blimey running to the summit of Snowdon at the end of an Ironman, that's unreal and strangely attractive! :twisted:

Oh all this talk and no training is driving me mad, I want to get back to training. I've had a jogette round the block and my legs feel great after all the rest.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Well I'm finally feeling better and easing back into it.

Saturday 50 min run. Over fields and around Brockhampton Estate. Easy pace.

Sunday 1500m swim. again very easy pace, just ticking over. But so used to watching that pace clock. Grrr!

Monday 45 min Turbo. First 45 min of Spinervals 17. Aerobic Base builder

Tuesday 45 min run around Bringsty Common with Poppa dog. The hills felt OK

I reckon another couple of days of keeping it aerobic and then all systems go.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:54 am

Wednesday

30 min run with 3 X 3 min @ 10k pace
A mini session to test the water, felt OK.

Oh just seen this. http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/i ... to_london/

better get some speed into these legs, be rude not to have a crack at getting into this on home turf. No excuses really!

And I don't intend to be too far away from speed in my Ironman training next year. Going to really mix it up. I seem to have penciled in every race in sight until the first week in July, that's long and short. Going to race all the Nationals short, long and duathlon plus loads of fun events for training.

I've lost 10lb recently, back in the size 8 jeans (and one pair of size 6s - I like those!) and body fat is coming down. Feel better running despite the layoff, was bouncing up the hills yesterday, felt much lighter. Still about 7lb overthe weight I used to race Ironman at, but I guess once I get into the training this spring it will be hard to keep it on. Most importantly I feel better.

So why oh why am I making Vegan Christmas cake, Vegan Christmas pudding and Vegan Mince pies tonight. Big Vegan Christmas dinner on Sunday. Yum Yum! Big run to work up an appetite and rid some of the guilt!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Thursday

1 hour Turbo. First hour of Spinervals 17.0 Aerobic base builder.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 pm

friday REST

Saturday (Christmas Eve)

1 hour 45 min run
Feeling good. Following Mr I on his Mountain Bike. Particularly felt lighter on the hills. All systems go from here! Yee Haw!!!
Around the Common, along the gated road,back across the Downs and over fields.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Sunday (Christmas Day)

46.5 min Run (route is usually 50 min, so a PB by 3.5 min)
Off Road Fartlek, over fields and around Brockhampton.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Monday (Boxing Day)

AM 1 hour 40 min Bike

Hilly loop including Ankerdine (1in5) and the longer but less steep Clifton Bank (1in 6 to 1in7 ?)
Then back via Sapey and Bromyard Downs.
A lovely day out there, very mild weather.
fuelled by one smoothie this morning, so not hungry after yesterday!

PM 30 min run around the Common with Poppa dog
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 am

Tuesday

1 hour 23 min Turbo
Spinervals 16.0 Aerobic Base Builder
Surely this is too easy to be doing any good?
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Wednesday
REST

Thursday

AM 2000m swim with 15 x 100m

PM 1 hour 23 min Turbo Spinervals 17.0 Aerobic Base Builder
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:43 am

Friday

45 min bike - round the block and up Bringsty on the main road.
with approx 4 X 4 min efforts on the climb. That was fun.

Love the Spinervals / Turbo and what it is doing for my cycling. Now spinning more and absolutely no coasting.
Riding over the top of the hills better, I mean pushing straight on at the top and riding the descents hard.

Slight dilemma in June. There are 4 races that I want to do, all on the same day.
A trail marathon, the National short course triathlon, a half Ironman and a 24 hour Mountain bike race.

24 hours would wipe me out, especially 2 weeks before the national Long course champs, so should be ruled out.
That leaves 3. I'll be best prepared for the half or the marathon. So it's out of those 2 I think?

The marathon is the one in Wales that I mentioned earlier. Looks stunning and would be fab training.
The half is on a very fast course (pb course?) and is only about 1 to 1 1/4 hours away. A long brick would be good training too.
I dunno, I already have the Man v Horse marathon (22 miles) 2 weeks before this, so maybe the half Ironman would be a change. Decisions decisions!
IronGirl

Postby Big Good Wolf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 pm

I was hoping to see you at Mountain Mayhem. Maybe you can do Sleepless In The Saddle in August instead if you want to try a 24 solo ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby IronGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:54 pm

Big Good Wolf wrote:I was hoping to see you at Mountain Mayhem. Maybe you can do Sleepless In The Saddle in August instead if you want to try a 24 solo ?

If I decide on the half I'll definately pop along to Mountain Meyhem at some point in the weekend. Mr I is the real mountain biker in the family but he is doing next to nothing at the moment (new job and all), when he gets going again I'll get dragged out on much more mountain biking, so maybe next year for MM?

Unfortunately Sleepless is 2 weeks before the Big Woody (Ironman) which is a shame.

I'm thinking some sort of solo ride to fit in with the Ironman training. So far I've found lots of road sportives which will make the training more fun and riding an event will take my mind of hammering out the miles.

A 6 to 12 hour MTB would also be good if I could find one to fit in. I think a first 24 hour event is going to demand a bit more respect than being slotted in the middle of a busy triathlon training schedule. Thought of the Marin but just noticed that that clashes with my first triathlon of the season. Lots of events and so little time!
Looking at my diary there are only 8 free weekends between March and this Ironman. It's going to be a busy fun year! If it doesn't kill me I should be able to get fit for the Ironman.

Or a 24 hour in September? (after the Ironman).......or maybe a 24 hour sleeping event at that point.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Saturday (New Years Eve)

2 hour bike

Rode down to Knightwick and picked up the Little Mountain time trial route.
Noteable Climbs - Ankerdine, Abberley Hill and Stanford Bank.

Slow puncture about 5 miles from home - decided to be a wet lettuce and pump it up every 10 mins and fix when I got home. Annoying as I was having such fun.
IronGirl

Postby IronGirl » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:34 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Sunday

50 min run down the Gaines Road and back over the Common. Very muddy now! I go through one field where some horses have ploughed it up and it's over the ankles and no way around.

First run for about a week. Managed to hurt my big toe last week. Some sort of sprain? Been RICEing all week. Connected with my useless biomechanics possibly or maybe a stubbed it somehow when I went out in my Walsh PBs last week. It's 99% OK now.
IronGirl

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs