Vegan machine never break...

A place for vegan athletes from all levels and sports to keep their training journals.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: Vegan machine never break...

Postby wannalift » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 pm

10/5/11:

Went up in weight in everything at the gym. Very nice to be consistently setting PR's on the 1-leg press. Added some light high pulls (from hang) back into the mix as well. Going to try and stay lighter this go around and I would really like to focus on highly explosive jumping rather than maxing out the weight. Would rather do snatches from the hang position, but my gym doesn't have rubber plates and my shoulders are always questionable at best.

Did some more spinning at home. Even though it was not a good idea, I did a few sprints for the 2nd day in a row. Figured my legs were already pretty worked over anyway from the gym. Wanted to try a lower gearing to get some higher RPM's and more mph/watts. Results were maybe slightly (emphasis added) higher? It did feel better to spin at a higher cadence though. I'll be getting a cyclocomputer soon so I'll have a more exact number for my wattage (hopefully). Finished with some heavy 1-legged pedaling.
Are you doing enough to be the best?
wannalift

Postby vegan hal » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 am

cool Log Wannalift! nice and diverse. I too like to workout during work-breaks (work form home) and am fortunate to do so some days. and good luck getting your shoulders back. been there. my left shoulder is a bit dodgy for the past couple weeks.

keep it up.
vegan hal

Postby wannalift » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:49 am

vegan hal wrote:cool Log Wannalift! nice and diverse. I too like to workout during work-breaks (work form home) and am fortunate to do so some days. and good luck getting your shoulders back. been there. my left shoulder is a bit dodgy for the past couple weeks.

keep it up.

Thanks mate. Yeah, I hate getting slowed down by injuries. Part of the game though.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 am

10/6/11: Didn't go to work so no workout. Played hockey, but my team was short on d-men so I got lit up, again. We ended up losing by 1 goal :(

10/7/11: Solid shoulder/chest/tricep workout at work/gym. Weather is so nice that I finally got an outdoor ride in. Went to the other park (Schenely) and just rode the fire roads. Did a lot of climbs and kept a fast pace. Ride lasted just over an hour. Hopefully lots of riding this weekend!
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:10 pm

10/8/11:

Did a big ride with some skilled riders in the morning. Pace was pretty good and I had to drop back closer to the end of the pack about halfway through. Just to be able to ride with this group is a pretty big accomplishment since I just started riding at the end of May. Rode for about 2 hours and ended my ride there as I knew I would be riding the next day. Climbing wall was closed so I just did a workout that I was going to put off until Monday, but it made sense to just do it then. Did some really heavy leg press, seated box jumps and long pulls. Short, but quality workout.

10/9/11:

Big ride in the morning at Pleasant Hills. Never been to this park before, but it was AWESOME. It is a small park and there are only 5 miles or so of singletrack, but the trails flow very well with rolling hills and they can all be ridden in both directions. It's a little tough with all of the leaves on the ground, but we still rode hard and fast. My legs were killing me the whole time from the rides the recent rides & workout. Look forward to riding that trail a lot more next year.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 am

10/10/11:

No work today and I modified my workout due to the extended weeked. Did some bamboo bench, shoulder raises and ab work at the gym. Started to get frustrated with my shoulders and whether they are getting better or not. Mostly not. Did yet another mtn bike ride today at Frick. Rode with my friend who rides at a pretty high level. Pushed me pretty hard. We came across a fallen biker on the Iron Grate trail. Poor guy went down and totally broke his ankle (best case scenario?). They were waiting for the paramedics to come and carry him out of the trail (another 450+ vertical feet down the trail).
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 am

10/11/11:

Finally got to do some pull/chin ups today at work. Felt really good. Still under my weight, but going back up every session. Finally got to go climbing as well. 'Scended my first v3!!! Very happy to have that in the bag as they are about to reset all the routes this weekend. Tried some other v3's, but with no success.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Okay, I have been too busy to log lately. I'll try to get back on track. I've been able to do some mtn bike rides so that has been nice. Shoulder is still banged up unfortunately. Still trying to work it out. Doing some sprints on my trainer as well. Last gym session I started to incorporate some more plyo work for my legs. Did some 1-legged sled throws and some jumping with jumpstretch bands. Just some additional measures I'm taking to increase my explosive leg strength. Hoping it translates on the bike.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 am

Long break from logging. I ended up developing shoulder tendinitis again so I have to pretty much wait it out. Got an MRI to verify that there were no tears and am doing physical therapy on my own. The condition I have is subacromial impingement and it is mainly just the result of my shoulder geometry (explains why I have had so many of these bouts throughout the years). Looks like no more climbing in my future :cry: Oh well, easy come easy go. Finally starting to introduce some light (emphasis added) upper body exercises back into the mix. Down almost 10 lbs and feeling incredibly weak. The last 7-10 days has been encouraging though. I'll be back.
wannalift

Postby baldy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am

The vegan machine broke?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

baldy wrote:The vegan machine broke?

My demise was rather predictable. I should have picked a non-ironic, non-self fulfilling prophecy of a log title. :oops:
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Just finished my best week of workouts in the last 3 months. Shoulder recovery is going well. Getting stronger every week. Hope to be fully recovered by the end of April (conservative estimate). This past week:

Sunday: Lower body, back, traps, abs, grip
Monday: Pressing, triceps, shoulder rehab, abs
Tuesday: Heavy sprints on bike trainer
Wednesday: Lower body, back, chin ups, traps, abs, grip
Thursday: Heavy sprints on bike trainer
Friday: Pressing, triceps, shoulder rehab, abs
Saturday: Mtn biking (conditioning ride on the fire lanes. too sloppy for singletrack)
Sunday: Lower body, back, traps, grip, abs, heavy sprints on bike trainer, possibly hockey tonight

Maybe now I can resume full-time logging without getting depressed :D

Edit: by fully recovered I mean back to pre-injury strength levels. Actually don't feel much discomfort at all in my shoulder. Haven't done any dips or overhead presses though. Dips might be a ways off.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

1/9/2012

Baby steps - I added in some overhead pressing today. 8 lb dumbbells for 20 reps while standing for 3 sets. :D

No discomfort at all. Going to go up 1/2 lb per workout and just crawl my way back to the top. Also did my regular pushing exercises like bamboo bench, incline bench, shoulder rehab, shoulder raise complex, kettlebell tricep work, abs, etc. My legs are destroyed from yesterdays lifting, biking and hockey, so I'm going to ride the trainer VERY lightly just to get some blood flowing.
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 pm

I had a really really good month of training in January. Slowly going up in every lift and I rode on my bike trainer 3-5 times a week. This last 10 days I have started making bigger jumps in weight and at this rate I may be back near my max's by the end of March. I have hit the trainer even harder as well recently getting longer & harder sprint intervals on my sprinting days and gradually longer spinning times on my light days (slowly turning into aerobic days). Diligent with my shoulder rehab and also added in a long set of shoulder dislocations stretching that has me feeling really good and is consistently improving my shoulder flexibility. At this rate it would be nice to also add in dips once again. Shooting for next month to test it out.
wannalift

Postby baldy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:51 am

Vegan machine fixed, what is the plan to avoid getting broken again?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs