Vegan Cyclists racing affiliations?

If cycling of any kind, from leisure to endurance, is your passion, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan Cyclists racing affiliations?

Postby Mike A » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 pm

I was wondering if Vegan Cyclists is affiliated to British Cycling and or the CTT?
There is a light and it never goes out
Mike A

Re: Vegan Cyclists racing affiliations?

Postby bob_summers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't think Vegan Cyclists exists as a club, AFAIK it's just some kits that BigGoodWolf had printed. Certainly it's not affiliated as VC&AC is.
Maybe it should be a club!
"No se deja de pedalear cuando se envejece.
Se envejece cuando se deja de pedalear"
bob_summers

Postby Mike A » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks Bob,

I thought so as I couldn't find any reference to Vegan CC on the British Cycling website.

I would guess that a lot of the cyclists on the Forum are members of cycling clubs affiliated to BC and CTT however, if an official Vegan CC was formed, they would probably be happy to join as 2nd claim or maybe even 1st claim.

I think that club affiliations are about £80 per year for BC and £25 for CTT.

If an official Vegan CC is not currently in place, does anyone have any views about forming one?

I don't want to tread on anybody's toes!
There is a light and it never goes out
Mike A

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Like Bob says, I just got the kit made and that's it.
I'm a mountain biker and the events I enter are generally not as formally organised as road races or TTs. There's no licences, no ranking system and no restrictions on who can enter, so there's no incentive to join a club and very few mountain bikers do.

I know little about the world of road cycling, so if you want to start a Vegan CC, that's fine by me. Any publicity for veganism and cycling has got to be good. The kit was copied from Vegan Runners, with their permission, so there would be no problem with adopting it as the official club kit.
We've got a team on [url=http://www.bikejournal.com/club.asp?ClubID={C8BF7D68-9415-4A4F-8614-4411BBD06AA5}]Bike Journal[/url], and a team on Endomondo, although that one's just me at the moment.

I've been thinking for a while I ought to start a Vegan Cyclists Facebook page, but I don't know what I'd put on it, so I haven't done it yet.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby the crazyest vegan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Whilst I think it's a good idea, personally I would not race for the club, I have a club I am well established in and I would not change unless I was sponsered, if you start a club it means a lot of messing, I was time trial sec for my club for 3 years and you have to host at leist one event a year to be CTT affiliated, so with a CTT affiliation fee of £30 a year, then British Cycling affiliation which would mean people could wear your kit in road races is another £80 or so. Personally I think £15 is the most you can realistcly charge for membership for a club so you then need 9 people to cover most basic costs, if you want to start buying equipment to host races you'll need even more money but then grants are available etc.
Unless their are 4/5 vegan cyclists in the same area, I would not recomen starting a club, i've been on my club's committee and organised enough cycle events to know it is a massive pain in the bum!
Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident, may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - for it is only action that can make a man.
the crazyest vegan

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:42 am

Vegan Cyclists are now on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/211983575548695/
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Simo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Practically speaking, I don't think there are enough people on here to form a club that could pay its affiliation for a reasonable subscription fee. Plus as others have said, running an affiliated club requires work. You need a commitee and to hold AGMs.

Speaking as someone who has been in a number of clubs and raced on and off road, the world doesn't really need more clubs. It's fun (at first) to start your own club and get your own kit for you and your mates, but if you put that effort into joining an existing club and organising an event, you'd be doing the sport much more good. The sport is really struggling with a lack of volunteers to run and help at races, indeed the number of racers is a concern in some parts too.
Simo

Postby JonSullivanArt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi there, back in 2001 I started a club called Vegan CC (Cycling Club).I was never with the club Vegetarian C&AC I think another J Sullivan rode for them. I was the only racing member of it .I rode Time Trials which a few results still remain online from 2001-2003.Im now back to training again after ten years off have joined the club VC Elan.I rode BCF events but mostly RTTC was affiliated to both.Great to see another club now with the name Vegan in it.
cheers :)
Jon Sullivan (Vegan for life)
JonSullivanArt

Return to Cycling Forum