sea world is ok ?

Armchair politics, ethical soapbox and current affairs. Place to discuss vegan ethics and general ethics and politics. Be nice.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

sea world is ok ?

Postby israel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:34 pm

There is a tiny chance i go to germany to munich and someone that might go with me told me there is seaworld thing there " Munich's Seaworld " i think its not moral usually i didnt find to much in google about it but its supose to be the people walking in a tunnle and surounded by water i dont think they have whales and dolphins -

im pretty sure its not ok but i hope someone here will say it is - so i can go :lol:

so is it morally ok ?
israel

Re: sea world is ok ?

Postby fredrikw » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 pm

I don't understand the question to be honest. If you don't think that kind of places are ok morally, why would it make any difference what some random person here on VF thinks?
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby israel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 am

Beacuse i might be wrong and i want to be wrong lol

ok i will make it clearer :

do you think its moral to go to this place called " Munich's Seaworld " in germany i hope there were people from germany who knew a bit about it and would say what they think about going there if that place is ok

i am 90% sure its ok but not 100% sure so i ask random people what they think maybe they know more then me - i dont think its as bad as a zoo but im sure people here have a more hard view then me on the subject its not like you will say its ok and i will go i will just take it in to consideration i also am half jolking
israel

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I don't think it is personally ethical to patronize aquariums, zoos, or other places that have animals there solely for entertainment. I do not have the same qualms about places that are animal rescue centers or sanctuaries that have some visitation hours for fund raising, and whose primary focus is still rescue or sanctuary.

SeaWorld (TM) is not once such franchise. I would not go there.

However, it is always up to you, as Fredrik stated. What the heck does it matter what some yokel on the intertubules tells you?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby israel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm

its not like you will say its ok and i will go i will just take it in to consideration i also am half jolking

and also

i hope there were people from germany who knew a bit about it and would say what they think about going there if that place is ok
- i wanted to know aout that specific place but it dosnt really matter im not going in the end and i allready got myself the other 10% sure
israel

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 pm

SeaWorld is worse than Zoos.

They participate in the sale and purchase of dolphins from "the Cove", where hundred of dolphins are slaughtered each year, and their calves taken for use in places like the SeaWorld franchise.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby vCLaW » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Are you sure it is actually Sea World in Munich? According to Wikipedia, they only have places in the USA.

There is a Sea Life Centre in Munich. They are a completely separate company, I'm not sure whether they are OK or not. I know they do rescue some animals, and have some seal sanctuaries.
vCLaW

Postby israel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 pm

iI think its this :

http://www.attractiontix.co.uk/Munich-S ... entre.aspx

i saw a youtube video that titled munich sea-world

I belive most zoos claim to be at least for some animals a sanctuary
israel

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Not exactly on message, but I say go and make your own mind up.

I know my inlaws, including my wife and her nephew (I'm so tight with the little fella it's embarrassing) went to a bird sanctuary/zoo when we were on holiday together earlier this year and I sat out, it just felt wrong. Took some explaining, and was a bit awkward, but seemed right to me at the time...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby knackers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 am

Pic above taken from a seaworld enclosure for a killer whale. Worse than a battery cage IMO.

I say boycott, 'seaworld' enslave sea animals, very intelligent sea animals at that.
“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian (C
knackers

Postby etherspin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 am

I want to keep my daughter sheltered from zoos and farms until she is at least 4 years old purely so she does not get schooled in the idea that animals are for our use and entertainment. I don't care if its a fish,frog,bee or elephant. I had a bad argument with my mother in law last week because she wanted to play videos for all the nursery rhymes about Old Macdonalds farm, sheep being for wool, pigs going to market etc .. I was trying to explain to her that all this stuff amounts to propaganda, theme tunes to ensure kids know animals are objects.
etherspin

Postby NatB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm

I never thought about nursery rhymes as propaganda but a very good point! I think its the lying and hypocrisy thats so bad! People take their kids to petting zoos then feed them the same animals for dinner!

Zoos=Animal Prisons!
NatB

Return to Ethics, Politics and Current Affairs