All things roller derby

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: All things roller derby

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Hey Liz, was wondering if I'd find you on this forum (guess who! The screen name isn't a giveaway at all!) Keep the derby updates coming, it's nice to hear you guys are doing well!

I miss seeing LRG in action! Went to a local bout earlier in the year and it just wasn't the same. Should probably give them another chance when the season comes about again.

For me, one of the biggest drawcards with derby is the DIY ethics and attitudes involved - these ladies were doing everything themselves: promotion, organising venues, training... I can't even really comprehend organising that many people...

Hope your knee is feeling better!
lover of cuttlefish

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:21 am

Hey Simon! Yeah, LRG is doing pretty well. We had a really high representation on Team England at the recent world cup.

My knees are actually doing pretty well this year, even though it's cold now, so I'm hoping the worst is over.

What's your local league?
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Richter City:

http://www.richtercity.co.nz/

Think they had a couple girls in the NZ team, who I saw beat Germany! haha what happened there!?

I also see Scotland didn't fare too well, damn!
lover of cuttlefish

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Cool! If you go to another bout and see Goregasm, tell them Mou and Missyle say hi! She transferred to LRG but is back in NZ for a few months.

Yeah, Scotland didn't do so well, but they had tough draws (USA!). I was more surprised by Germany; I expected them to do better. England did pretty well, though.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Annie#7 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:47 pm

FormicaLinoleum wrote:Exciting times for our league and me! We have been ranked number 10 in our region (East Region) of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association, which means we are going to the East Region Playoffs in September. And I'm on the roster for the tournament! We, and I, are training extra hard for this. Top three teams from the playoffs go to the Championships. Going in as #10 we have very little chance of emerging top 3, but playoff will be amazing anyway.

We also recently played the reigning champions, Rocky Mountain Rollergirls. We lost 229 - 49, but against such a tough team, we were quite pleased by that result. Here's video of the last three jams of the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7x36T8E ... e=youtu.be. I'm in the first jam on the video (#410).

What a great youtube video! It must have been exciting to play RMR. Just joined the discussion board, been playing derby in Illinois, U.S. for just over a year. Still very new at it, but having lots of fun and learning a great deal.
Annie#7

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Hey Annie! It was exciting to play RMR. Though my favourite was playing Charm City, as they were the league that made me want to do derby (I used to live in Baltimore) and I was a big fan.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Heidi-Paris » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi all,

I have just bought my first pair of roller skates (and all the padding) in order to participate in two roller derby workshops in the coming weeks, and hopefully get recruited to the Paris Roller Girls team. Thing is, I've never roller skated and the first time I rollerbladed was 2 weeks ago :shock: I can ice skate though, so I have some sense of balance on skates. I was told by PRG that they will be looking at motivation (!) more than skills, so I'm hoping I have a chance. I realise this could be a complete disaster :D

Sooo - any tips for a complete beginner?!

Thank you
Heidi
Heidi-Paris

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:21 pm

My advice is just to get on your skates as often as you can so you start to get used to it. If you can ice skate there will be some transfer of skills, but quad skates are a bit different. Then at the workshops, just try to have a positive attitude and don't give up!

Good luck with it! PRG have been over here to play us recently; they are a really motivated and hard-hitting team.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby muchluv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:56 pm

I'd like to see some Rollerderby sometime! Any in the south east area, london?..
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Yeah, I skate with the London Rollergirls! I don't think we have any public bouts until 2013, though. (It's our off season.)
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby loveliberate » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 am

Update:

Now two of my daughters (both vegan, of course!) are on the Portland Roller Derby Junior League, the Rosebuds. The second was just accepted to the Seedlings, which is the basic level before you are assigned to a home team. She has just registered for the forums under the username "Lucia". She is also in Spanish immersion at school and fluent in Espanol so she registered for the Vegan Fitness Espanol forum as well! :D

PLUS! My oldest daughter is now on the Rosebuds travel team and is also the captain of her home team. Additionally, I've confirmed that there are at least 5 vegans in junior roller derby here as well as many more veg folks. Yay! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Heinrich » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Heads up!
The first european WFTDA-Tournament is coming to Berlin 16. to 19. November.

http://trackqueensbattleroyal.com/

I got a weekend ticket as a birthday present, so I will be there alot.
Heinrich

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 am

I wish I could afford to go to Berlin to watch Track Queens. My league's A team will be there playing, though. I hope they are streaming it, but I haven't yet heard that they are.
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Postby Heinrich » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Congratz to London!
The gap between you guys and the rest of europe is ridiculous.
Heinrich

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 am

Yeah, we keep expecting the gap to close, but it isn't really happening. I'm sure it will eventually!
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness