1 Hour +/- Workout Suggestions with Access to Equipment

Home of strength: powerlifting, olympic lifting, grip strength, strongman, odd object lifting, explosive power...

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

1 Hour +/- Workout Suggestions with Access to Equipment

Postby jollygoodgold » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Hello everyone! Ive been a lurker for quite some time and I've learned a lot and had some laughs along the way from all of you. I got motivated to work out before I got educated so now I'm looking to make the most of my kinda unique situation. I am employed at a company that allows me to workout at work and provides a lot of equipment to do such. I have access to these machines:

Elliptical Trainer

Rower

Treadmill

Stationary Bike

Stair Stepper

Bench Press

Free Weights (Dumb Bells and Plate Weights with ergonomic bar)

Power Tower

A multi-gym with leg curls, and arm press with bar attachment
Like this: http://www.tuffstuffitness.com/productD ... ring=10005

Adjustable sit up bench

Hip Flexor Machine

Leg press

Me:

Im 25, 6'2" 155LBs

Right now I do this routine which has no real rhyme or reason:

25 Min Medium Resistance on Elliptical
8 Min Low/Medium Resistance on Stepper
Bench Press 5/7/5 50 Lbs (I can bench more but my arms are jello by then due to elliptical)
Free Weights (A routine I remember from high school weights. Any routine suggestions welcomed)
Power Tower (Pull-ups and leg extensions. Also some work out suggestions for this would be great!)
Multi-gym (Doing presses and leg curls on a 7 of 20? setting.)
Sit-ups on an incline
Hip Flexor machine

I can spend about an hour on the workout. I dont use some of the machines because I just dont have time. Im motivated to use them Im just at a loss with so many options.

I would like to build some muscle and stamina for sports. The machines mostly have heart rate monitors so I keep it in the "Training zone" as is described on an antique poster on the wall. That being a 150-165 heart rate. I eat a vegan diet and have for the last six years.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks so much!

-Alex

Edit: I can also work out 5 days a week so I could break up the workouts.
jollygoodgold

Re: 1 Hour +/- Workout Suggestions with Access to Equipment

Postby xJimx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:21 pm

If you can get to the gym 5 times a week I'd suggest doing a strength training programme like Starting Strength or Stonglifts (plenty of info on these routines if you google them) on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, then do 30 mins cardio on both Tuesday & Thursday.

Forget bullshit like the hip flexor machines & multigyms, learn the big compound lifts & eat lots.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby jollygoodgold » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 am

Nice, thanks! :D
jollygoodgold

Postby Webb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 am

I would second what Jim said, but if you stick to something similar to what you are already doing, I always find it better to do cardio at the end of the workout. I guess it depends on your goals as well.
Webb

Postby vegansludge » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:03 am

I'll third what Jim said - routines focusing on compound lifts are going to garner the best results for muscle building and gaining strength.

I'll also say that, if you're wanting to put on muscle mass, cardio isn't a necessity - it takes away potential energy (i.e. calories) from building muscle. However, if you enjoy it and the health benefits that come from it, just make sure you're eating enough to make up for the calories you burn from it.

Speaking of, what does your diet currently look like? Nutrition is just as, if not more, important in helping you reach your goals.
vegansludge

Postby jollygoodgold » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 am

I eat pretty balanced meals. A bag of vegetables with a Boca "chikn" patty and maybe some rice is a typical meal. I drink also straight green tea ,black coffee or water. No soda or anything. Other meals I eat are chopped green peppers, "chickn" strips, onion, other veggies if in house with a chili sauce for fajitas... Kind of. I also drink about 1/4 of a gallon of "Rice Dream" enriched rice milk a day. Take a multivitamin twice a day. Veggie chilli with corn, beans, maybe oats, maybe fake ground beef from fantastic foods. Sometimes at work Ill get an evol burrito. Snacks are peanut or almond butter on beard or cereal sometimes... Usually Kashi.

But, I must say I eat a whole lot more now. I dont eat out often but... When I eat out its tofu vermicelli or veggie tempura sushi.

Any meal suggestions or recipes for a aemi-picky bland eater? haha
jollygoodgold

Return to Power and Strength