Broken ankle

For injury and health related discussion and support only. Please note that this is not a substitute for seeing a health care professional.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Broken ankle

Postby Darcy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

Okay so I feel a bit bad posting here as I keep vanishing. I still visit every day and log in my notebook - I'm just not so good at posting consistently.

Anyway. I broke my ankle. I broke it at training: someone hit me and I fell badly. I wish that wasn't the case though as it just confirms everyones stereotypes of derby as violent and dangerous ;-)

I live alone and spend my life training and rushing between different jobs/people/places. I now need someone to come help me just to get down/up my stairs which means I can't go or leave anywhere without help. And most places I can't go anyway due to being awkward environments for a broken and still very painful ankle. I can't even carry a cup of tea! This has been really really hard and I have pretty much spent the last ten days crying.

I know I need to pull myself together! I bought a punch bag and some free weights so should start doing some exercise in my flat.

I was wondering if anyone has any:

1) tips for good exercises to do with a broken ankle

2) tips for staying sane during such an injury!

Thanks.
Darcy

Re: Broken ankle

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:25 pm

ouch very sorry to hear this :(

one productive thing that one can do is using the time to read up on either nutrition/physiology in general or your sport in particular.

The key though is to sit down and figure out what you can do to work around it which it sounds like you are doing.

In addition to what you've gotten a perfect pull up bar or a power bar (more expensive but you can do dips with it) would be a good investment I think.

very much a case of doing as i say and not as I do. I have a track record of dealing with injuries through self pity and cake :lol:
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby vegan hal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

ouch!! sorry to hear it. can't offer you any tips. just healing vibes!!
vegan hal

Postby Darcy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks both!

Yeah I might have been "doing as you do" thus far lordmuppet. The eternal codine haze doesn't help.

I've been looking around online and found a lot of studies which say injured athletes get depression - not sure if this is helpful!
Darcy

Postby ninearms » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Do what you can to train everything other than your broken leg, so long as it doesn't compromise your ankle. As soon as you're given the OK be ultra diligent with your rehab as your ankle mobility will be screwed up, the muscles in your lower leg will be weak, and your balance will also be affected. Treat the rehab as you would training. Eat well. Eat better than you would normally. Don't eat tons of crap because you feel crappy - it's easily done and will make you feel worse. Watch Home Alone 1 & 2, watch Die Hard 2, watch Gremlins, watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles (not technically a Christmas film, but a Christmas film in spirit).
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Annie#7 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:45 am

Darcy wrote:Okay so I feel a bit bad posting here as I keep vanishing. I still visit every day and log in my notebook - I'm just not so good at posting consistently.

Anyway. I broke my ankle. I broke it at training: someone hit me and I fell badly. I wish that wasn't the case though as it just confirms everyones stereotypes of derby as violent and dangerous ;-)

I live alone and spend my life training and rushing between different jobs/people/places. I now need someone to come help me just to get down/up my stairs which means I can't go or leave anywhere without help. And most places I can't go anyway due to being awkward environments for a broken and still very painful ankle. I can't even carry a cup of tea! This has been really really hard and I have pretty much spent the last ten days crying.

I know I need to pull myself together! I bought a punch bag and some free weights so should start doing some exercise in my flat.

I was wondering if anyone has any:

1) tips for good exercises to do with a broken ankle

2) tips for staying sane during such an injury!

Thanks.

Reading old derby posts and wondered how your ankle is and if you were able to return to skating/derby playing eventually. I'm with a newer league in the states (Illinois) that's just over a year old, and I've seen three people break their ankle at practice. I love playing, but the injuries do concern me in terms of the impact on everyday activities while recovering (how would I get to work, etc.). Just wondered what your experience has been like!

Thanks,
Annie
Annie#7

Postby ColleenE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey, I'm sorry about your ankle:(:( Being out of the game always is the biggest challenge!
I broke my ankle several years ago (fibula). One great strengthening exercise to do once you are out of the cast and have clearance is to stand on a pillow. Raise up onto the balls of your feets, and then lower. If this feels okay, stand on the affected foot ONLY and raise and lower. You'll strengthen the ankle muscles and get them ready for play again.

To keep yourself sane: Try deep water running if your doctor okays it! Did wonders for me!
ColleenE

Return to Injury Prevention and Support Forum