How to help veganfitness.net

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: How to help veganfitness.net

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:05 am

Lordmuppet wrote:Well for the UK I think $5 it is fine given the exchange rate. For the US, maybe also give an option to give $2.5 a month too?

Five U.S. Dollars is not a significant amount of money. A Chinese take out entree is likely to cost you $7.5 dollars these days.

I don't pay nearly $50 (U.S.) to host my blog. Does VF have to pay more for the greater traffic it puts on the server?

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:07 am

xrodolfox wrote:I just think that IF we do this, it shouldn't be reflected in any special perks or recognition on the board. This was done at another board I used to frequent, I think that the policy of differentiating based on donation didn't do the place any favors on the tension that built up.

Agreed. I've been on boards like that too.

beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 am

fredrikw wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:I just think that IF we do this, it shouldn't be reflected in any special perks or recognition on the board.

+1

What special perks are we talking about?
We could maybe increase the size of peoples PM inbox for subscribers, but cant imagine that being that big a perk.
Other perks like access to he ban hammer or access to my archive of sexy PMs from xkillerx arent really ethical.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:22 am

beforewisdom wrote:I don't pay nearly $50 (U.S.) to host my blog. Does VF have to pay more for the greater traffic it puts on the server?

Correct, we have a lot more traffic and need access to the software that runs the site so we can tune it to reduce spammers. We have what is called a dedicated server, ie a whole computer in a dark server room, in a secure secret location, the location is very secret. Also we need to manage backups of the site, if for any reason we lost all the information from the forum it would be a real tragedy.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:27 am

I think donations and activity on the board should be kept separate. Donating to VF is a way to support the community and helping pay for the servers, not a way to buy yourself upgrades. Also, donations should be on a volountary basis, and not something you feel the need to do to be taken seriously or get a specific status.

And as Rodolfo says, since it can become an issue I don't see any reason why we all of a sudden need to add a monetary differentiation system between members.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:06 pm

fredrikw wrote:I think donations and activity on the board should be kept separate. Donating to VF is a way to support the community and helping pay for the servers, not a way to buy yourself upgrades. Also, donations should be on a volountary basis, and not something you feel the need to do to be taken seriously or get a specific status.

And as Rodolfo says, since it can become an issue I don't see any reason why we all of a sudden need to add a monetary differentiation system between members.

^I 100% agree with this statement.

I think that "perks" should be kept separate. All folks with the same size PM box, access to fonts, or names in bold, or size of avatar, etc. I have been on two boards that have done different degrees of perks for those that donated (different from the "perks" of being a mod/admin). Perks included things like increasing size of PM box, to not having banner ads show up, to changes in how their name was displayed to everyone else, etc. Those differentiations did lead to real differences in the board. In the worst case, the board ended up giving more "voice" to those that had paid. It was quite subtle at first, but even eventually, board policy was then decided by those that paid. That resulted in crappy decisions, and a really crappy board. When I finally had $$ to pay, I certainly wasn't going to use it there.

I would be happy to give without any "perks", and I'm sure so would most of those willing to pay.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:07 pm

fredrikw wrote:I think donations and activity on the board should be kept separate. Donating to VF is a way to support the community and helping pay for the servers, not a way to buy yourself upgrades. Also, donations should be on a volountary basis, and not something you feel the need to do to be taken seriously or get a specific status.

I think we are all agreed on this point now
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 am

Im happy to look for sponsorship or advertising revenues if we want to go that way.

I can also look at getting a grants, I know vegan society offer them, and there's an American charity too, I can look into this today

Im always doing various sponsored walks, I can organise a VF one :)
mabli

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 am

beforewisdom wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:Well for the UK I think $5 it is fine given the exchange rate. For the US, maybe also give an option to give $2.5 a month too?

Five U.S. Dollars is not a significant amount of money. A Chinese take out entree is likely to cost you $7.5 dollars these days.

I have created a link to make it easier to donate US$5 a month.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... MTGEREXMEA

We have had a few donations made already, thanks guys. :D
baldy
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:11 am

Is there a link for people who want to specify their own amounts, where the donation isn't automatically recurring and where the type of currency doesn't matter?

beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:17 am

beforewisdom wrote:Is there a link for people who want to specify their own amounts, where the donation isn't automatically recurring and where the type of currency doesn't matter?

Unfortunately we can't create a link that doesn't specify a currency. However you can login to your paypal and just send a payment, this will let you specify the currency and amount you would like. The email address of our paypal account is veganfitness.net@gmail.com.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 am

mabli wrote:Im happy to look for sponsorship or advertising revenues if we want to go that way.

I can also look at getting a grants, I know vegan society offer them, and there's an American charity too, I can look into this today

Im always doing various sponsored walks, I can organise a VF one :)

Awesome! Are you happy to work together with Lordmuppet?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:40 am

sorry Id not read all the posts typically, just looked now and see you've come up with a solution anyway... doh!!

Yep of course I can work with LM, Im always asking for sponsorship from companies they know me now :-)

Ive got a grant application form from vegan soc anyway somewhere so Ill dig that out too
mabli

Postby Talyn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:42 am

We could/should also put together a blueprint for a festival stall. ie, plan our leaflets, merchandise etc, that can be setup and operated by a few people whenever a vegan fair pops up over the country. Kind of like what Pete does with vbb.org.

It would be good way to spread the word, get new members and possibly make a wee bit of cash to help with funding.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby mabli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

There are no fixed types of activity that The Vegan Society will or will not support. However, it will normally be expected that applications are for projects that specifically promote veganism. Each application will be considered on its own merits on a case-by-case basis. Applications are encouraged for repeating previously successful activities, such as regular vegan festivals, vegan food fairs, or the publication of successful local vegan guides.

This is part of vs grant app form, so to me that reads that we're well within our rights to ask for money... could someone else apply though as Im applying to put a vegan festival on in wales so might look a tad greedy. would ideally be vs member. if its a problem then Ill do it anyway

ive got the forms I can fill it in if nec too
mabli

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion