new people to take over running of veganfitness?

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

new people to take over running of veganfitness?

Postby JP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey just putting feelers out there, would there be new people who would like to take over the running of veganfitness.net?

we have been neglecting improving VF for a long time and there is so much potential with it.

Job would include finding a new host and coming up with a funding model for it (rather than someone just paying for it), and also developing a richer site around it.

Any questions please feel free to ask me.
JP
Site Admin

Re: new people to take over running of veganfitness?

Postby baldy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

I would like to help and suggest we maybe start a team together (committee just sounds to corporate). To get to the next level we need people with different skills rather than expecting one person to do everything. My skills are in the system admin side, so I will put myself forward as the technical lead, ideally with someone in a different timezone to support me.

My idea would to be have:
- Graphic design person to do all the logos branding and images
- Content editor to proof read any articles and probably write the majority of articles
- Finance marketing person to try sell adverts get sponsors etc
- Technical person to manage the server, upgrade backups and all that. Preferable two people to share this role in case one gets run over by a bus.
- Team of moderators for the forum, hopefully we can keep the mods we have, cos they are awesome.
- A team leader to kick some ass!

If all else fails we can ask Robert Cheeke to take it over? :twisted:
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby skoptic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:36 pm

I reckon everyone contributing to help it run at the moment is doing a great job - the site exists and thrives :)

I'd be happy to help in any way - but I'm a jack-of-all-trades (master of none ;)) - I help run a few websites, muddle my way round Adobe CSx and work a bit in online marketing (bleugh!)
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:44 pm

We definitely need a list of what we want/need to start.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby penguin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:40 am

xrodolfox wrote:We definitely need a list of what we want/need to start.

how about setting up a wiki or google docs document or etherpad document (for example using http://piratepad.net/ )?
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby baldy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:34 pm

penguin wrote:
xrodolfox wrote:We definitely need a list of what we want/need to start.

how about setting up a wiki or google docs document or etherpad document (for example using http://piratepad.net/ )?

I think the most important thing in the short term is to get some money to upgrade the hosting, which will improve the performance. The site is running terribly slow at the moment. I will speak with JP on Monday and see if there is any quick fix we can do to improve the performance and how much money etc is needed.

It would be great if we could get everyone who is interested in helping together on a chat session. Draw up some action items and go from there? Skype is usually the easiest for this, pm me skype names if your interested and we can arrange a time.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I know it's been discussed and dismissed before but if members were willing to donate it could at least solve one of the problems short-term?

Other then that I'm afraid I don't have any necessary skills :(
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:15 pm

baldy wrote:If all else fails we can ask Robert Cheeke to take it over? :twisted:

yes this is probably the nth picture of disco stu but can there be too many? I say no.
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby penguin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 pm

baldy wrote:It would be great if we could get everyone who is interested in helping together on a chat session. Draw up some action items and go from there? Skype is usually the easiest for this, pm me skype names if your interested and we can arrange a time.

I'll see if I can get skype installed, IRC, MSN, XMMP or Facebook chats work better for me.

kallefs wrote:I know it's been discussed and dismissed before but if members were willing to donate it could at least solve one of the problems short-term?

Some other options are selling ads to companies or selling some goods, for example sell veganfitness shirts from where 5 € goes to support this website (and they would also advertise veganism :) ).
my body is not a temple, it's an amusement park
penguin

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:07 pm

The discussions on this web board over the years have been much more informed, mature and intelligent than other places for discussion on the internet. That goes double for other vegan web boards. That goes quadruple for other vegan web boards where fitness and nutrition are discussed.

This web board has been consistently fantastic.

I would like to express my gratitude to the people who have been running it and the fantastic regular posters.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:
baldy wrote:If all else fails we can ask Robert Cheeke to take it over? :twisted:

yes this is probably the nth picture of disco stu but can there be too many? I say no.

One of the things I value about this web board is the intelligence, level of education and maturity of the majority of regulars. Having said that Robert Cheeke is a regular acquaintance of mine. I run into him at just about every big vegan event I go to. He isn't a bad guy. I'm not inclined to dis him.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby thestoatyone » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:43 pm

beforewisdom wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:

One of the things I value about this web board is the intelligence, level of education and maturity of the majority of regulars. Having said that Robert Cheeke is a regular acquaintance of mine. I run into him at just about every big vegan event I go to. He isn't a bad guy. I'm not inclined to dis him.

I think that tongues are firmly in collective cheeks here. I think he's doing a grand job, it's just funny to josh about.

+1 for what beforewisdom says.

Also, another run of VF t-shirts sounds like a good idea to me.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby baldy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 am

T-Shirts are always cool and we are due for a new design.
Can anyone create some spectacular new design or should we reprint one of the old ones?

Another challenge that always comes up, is if the t-shirt supplier is fairtrade organic etc etc..
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Talyn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 am

baldy wrote:T-Shirts are always cool and we are due for a new design.
Can anyone create some spectacular new design or should we reprint one of the old ones?

Another challenge that always comes up, is if the t-shirt supplier is fairtrade organic etc etc..

There is a customise-your-own-tshirt shop near my gym, I will check it out.

Re: baldy's list of people needed. Sadly I don't have any of those skills, but I would be willing to contribute financially.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:03 am

I really like the t-shirt idea. However, we still need money to put down first. If the thing needed most is money, we can also do a few other things too.
1) open up for donations. 2) make other "vegan fitness" products such as cycling shorts, lifting belts, etc. 3) create app or two specifically for our community like an app that can show what workout items are vegan, or to a list of vegan athletes, or to vegan fitness tips, or to help find other vegans working out near you.

I think that if we are looking for changes, it would still be good to put it all on the table clearly, so that we can succeed.

Do we need more than money?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion