Natalie Portman/Dior

Anything not covered above probably belongs here!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Natalie Portman/Dior

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am

so do Dior test or not? I'm assuming yes based on approach of 'if they don't usually you'll hear about it'

I'm hoping no though as I like Natalie Portman and if she is doing a campaign for somewhere that tests, then that makes me sad :(

edited to add: I ask because they don't turn up on either of PETAs lists (tests/doesn't test)

edited to add: can't find on BUAV either
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Natalie Portman/Dior

Postby skoptic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:58 am

mmmm.. I like Natalie Portman ;)

Found this.. but can't vouch for it being up to date or right
http://www.astrostar.com/DO-NOT-Test.htm
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby ratfan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Dior fall into the catagory (as most cosmetics companies do) of not testing on animals themselves - unless they 'have to' for legal requirements (this is a bit of crap really it just means so they can sell their stuff in more parts of the world) but they continue to buy and use animal tested ingredients (at the moment 'new to the world' chemicals are routinely 'safety tested' on animals) so they are driving the demand for more new chemicals that are tested on animals.

All this means that these companies can claim they don't test on animals or ask others to test for them - it's true, but it's not the whole truth.

For this reason it can be very tricky to persuade celebs to stop endorsing these tainted brands - well that and the wads of cash they get paid.

PS ignore PETAs 'cruelty-free' list as it is a poor guide and includes many companies that have no intention of taking any steps to reduce animals testing for their cosmetics. The BUAV list is better but it does endorse companies with dodgy parents such as The Body Shop.
ratfan

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Isn't Portman one of those ex-vegan celebs you hear of? I don't trust celebs full-stop, but ex-vegan/veggie ones are the most annoying.
Hiking Fox

Postby mabli » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 am

Any company selling into China has to have their products tested in state labs, any changes to the product, including cosmetic changes like new packaging and the product has to be retested, even if the contents are the same.
mabli

Postby israel » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 pm

I googled it it seems she not an ex shes just taking a break and shes not eating meat

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WomensHeal ... r1QhlZEFIg
israel

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 pm

"I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant, just because I felt like I wanted that stuff," Portman told the radio Q100 "Bert Show" today. "I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy."

If she's been accurately quoted, she's yet another infuriating ex-vegan celeb putting out the message that a vegan diet isn't adequate.

Fuck celebrities and their feeble attempts to use our diet and ethics to gain publicity for themselves.
Hiking Fox

Postby skoptic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
"I actually went back to being vegetarian when I became pregnant, just because I felt like I wanted that stuff," Portman told the radio Q100 "Bert Show" today. "I was listening to my body to have eggs and dairy."

If she's been accurately quoted, she's yet another infuriating ex-vegan celeb putting out the message that a vegan diet isn't adequate. Fuck celebrities and their feeble attempts to use our diet and ethics to gain publicity for themselves.

Heh.. don't me wrong I'm not an apologist for people who slip .. but as someone with a pregnant (veggie) wife lying next to me, I appreciate that her life is more difficult now because of the pregnancy. She needs food at odd times and in odd places - generally fine for a stoic & prepared vegan, but not for a self employed busy pregnant women. I've cut her (my wife .. not Portman) a lot of virtual ethical slack because of situational issues gazumping ideological ones, and all that with a responsibility to another life.
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby israel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:03 pm

on't me wrong I'm not an apologist for people who slip - me to

its just she gave an interview to an israeli newspaper and they put some of her words for veganism or vegetarinsm ? cant remember and the repoter wrote something like : "all that she wanted to talk about was animal rights" and it was hard to get her to talk on other stuff

i dont care if they eat meat all day long the benifts from them saying there vegan is much greater

but maybe you got a point about :

putting out the message that a vegan diet isn't adequate.
israel

Postby mabli » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 am

A new diet is hard to sustain when you’re pregnant. I’d only been vegan 3 years or so when I had my first pregnancy, my best friend was also a relatively new vegan and became pregnant a week after me... both of us had major urges to eat cheese, just an all engulfing need to eat it, it was extremely hard to resist, especially as both of us were massively nauseous too. The next time I was pregnant Id been vegan for around 13 years and dairy didn’t come into the equation...

My theory is we both needed to boost our B12 and as former long term veggies dairy was our most recent source... I don’t know, there are all sorts of theories as to why women have urges to eat odd stuff... all I can say is it was really difficult to resist it filled both our waking and sleeping hours... all we could think about was cheeeeeeeeeeeeese!! well, and sex too but you get my point...

But I agree, I don’t think its acceptable for celebs to say they’re having to stop being vegan because they’re pregnant or for any other reason, it does sound as if the diet is lacking when it isn’t.
mabli

Return to General Discussion